Delta Amex partnership ideas

Old May 19, 19, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Delta Amex partnership ideas

Does anyone have any interesting ideas on how this might be accomplished: “Delta expects its benefit from the relationship to double to nearly $7 billion annually by 2023, up from $3.4 billion in 2018, strengthening Delta’s increasingly diversified revenue stream.”

in the press release, they talk about “investing in new products”

What are some of your ideas on possible delta Amex “enhancements” they might add to the cards in order to grow by such a large amount? Partner club access?

when you think about double the revenue, they have to be doing some drastic changes.

My guess is they offer some sort of super premium card that has an annual fee of $950 but gets slightly more benefits. Like RUC after each 10k in spend etc

i think they might also be paving the way for another full tier above diamond, which can be obtained partially through the card spend.
Perhaps a $750,000 spend requirement?
Old May 19, 19, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Halloweverybody View Post

My guess is they offer some sort of super premium card that has an annual fee of $950 but gets slightly more benefits. Like RUC after each 10k in spend etc

I will bet you there is no $950 card. Shall we bet $950?
i think they might also be paving the way for another full tier above diamond, which can be obtained partially through the card spend.
This is also not happening.
There is already a tier above Diamond, it's called Delta 360.

By the way, the Reserve cards are terrible. Only crazy people like me hold them to get MQM bonuses with them.

Buffing the Reserve cards would yield many, many more signups.
Old May 19, 19, 12:41 pm

Yes, they will/are using this to fund free WiFi.
Old May 21, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
While I'm sure they're working on new ideas, a lot of that projected gain is likely just exploiting the current relationship and offerings .
Old May 21, 19, 12:43 pm

Looking at the promos I receive from Amex and other credit card companies to either sign up for a new card or upgrade to another card they will make more money from, Amex will be giving out more miles as signup bonuses and through more double/triple points promos. Amex buys the miles from Delta. That's how revenue is doubled.
Old May 21, 19, 2:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
How about different spend categories. 3x Delta purchases, 2x groceries and dining, 1x everything else?
Rental car insurance, travel delay insurance (similar to CSP 6hrs or greater disruption), Global entry/PreCheck/Clear(?) credit.....the list can go on.
Old May 21, 19, 9:57 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Halloweverybody View Post

I'd welcome both of those additions. I've been stumping for a while now on another PUBLISHED tier (mounts soapbox) above DM, since DM is stupid-easy to achieve. I'd love to see a 250K MQM / $30K MQD or $750K AX Waiver tier. If Marriott can magically turn me into Lifetime Titanium from Lifetime Platinum Elite, I'm sure Delta can give us another tier, just for kicks.

$10K is too little to issue RUCs / GUCs. I'd like to see a RUC at maybe each $50K and a GUC at each $100K or $200K AX spend. Of course, they'd have to cap the number of certificates one could get, otherwise many would have wallets exploding with expiring certs.
Old May 23, 19, 6:00 pm

I think it’s important to look at the strengthening of non-Delta Amex MR cards and how that could impact those forecasted revenues. With the opportunity to earn 5x on Airfare, 4x on dining, and 4x on groceries, it leaves the opportunity for a tremendous amount of MR -> SkyMiles conversions.

As for for a few features that I’d like to see from Delta Amex Cards:

1) Replace the shuttered SPG crossover rewards with something for elites and Amex FHR.
2) Copy Marriott’s points advance. This would prompt people to use the card more often if they’re taking out SkyMiles loans.
3) CLEAR membership discounts or included at Reserve level.
4) Lock-solid travel insurance for the Reserve card. There are very few reasons for the average to hold a Reserve over a Platinum. Travel delay insurance.
5) Reserve card holders get 2 free guests at SkyClub.
6) Need to re-think the priority boarding benefit in light of recent boarding process changes.

Finally, they need to figure out the parity between the Blue and Gold cards. Blue has stronger earning capabilities than Gold, but you get the benefit of a free checked-bag on the Gold. I find their equality to be very confusing from a brand standpoint.

I reiterate, they need to find features that would force Platinum cars holders to also hold Reserve cards. If the benefits were better, I would without blinking.
Old May 23, 19, 8:32 pm

Programs: Wyndham Platinum
Agreed on the Blue vs. Gold SkyMiles card. Honestly, each tier up should have another category that earns 2x miles. The Blue earns 2x on restaurants, so the Gold could earn 2x on restaurants and travel, Platinum 2x on restaurants, travel, and groceries, and Reserve 2x on restaurants, travel, groceries, and gas? Not sure on exact categories, but something like that.

Also, fully agree on the travel insurance. There's better travel insurance products included with the Citi Costco card and the no-fee Sapphire card than there is on the Delta Gold/Platinum card (I haven't looked at what the Reserve offers.) The Gold and Platinum should, at a minimum, offer some sort of trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance that's at least competitive with those cards. It's not worth charging Delta trips to the Delta card when the Citi Costco card offers better trip protection and offers 3% back on travel purchases. Having comparable or better travel insurance (maybe throw in a basic baggage claim insurance as well?) would make the card more competitive for purchases where it should be most competitive.
Old May 23, 19, 11:41 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Points advance makes sense since it can drivenfitire behavior and people will charge more

id like to see non-credit card partnershipa

Hilton partnership would make sense given that Hyatt and Marriott are married to AA/UA now. I assume that helped drive business both ways

Sprint and other cell networks would be cool (I get 5k annually with AA)

A banking relationship would be interesting. Fidelity had arrangements with all three airlines previously

an alternative Reserve card aimed at DMs/PMs would be good with benefits that they may not already have (I’ve got a lounge membership already so don’t value that)
Old May 24, 19, 7:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Gold; Skymiles Platinum
Delta and Amex already have the points advanced feature. I've used it a few times. Amex calculates the amount of points they're willing to front you based on your usual spend. You then get something like 6 months to spend that much on your card to pay back the loan. No interest on the point loan as far as I can tell.
Old May 24, 19, 8:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire
I've also used points advance a few times when I was coming up 2-3K short of an award ticket I needed. Far more useful than the plan-it thing they seem to be pushing across many of their cards.

2 free club day passes each year for the Skymiles Gold or Platinum card a year like the United card has would be nice.
griffy208 likes this.