Search

KL PLAT lounge acces ATL with kids?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue
KL PLAT lounge acces ATL with kids?

Quick question.

I am travelling with my kids from Atlanta to Brussels in economy. I am a KL platinum. Can I bring in my 2 sons 13,14 years old into the lounge for free? We have a pretty long layover so checking the possibilities.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Normal STE+ guest rules apply here: one guest
(AFAIK no exception for KL FB plats as KLM isn't willing to pay Delta regarding additional guests for her FB Plats)
Old May 18, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

So what would be the fee be for the my youngest child to join us?

Or should I just leave him outside the lounge have him stare in....
CarmenOM likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer

I do not think you have the option of paying a fee for an additional guest when you enter as a Sky Team Elite Plus; I think you can only bring in one guest. You could go to the club and try, but if you are let in with both children it would be a favor.

You are not flying in business class are you? If you are, then you would all get access due to you each being J pax.

Do you have an American Express that grants any lounge access? In that case they may let the 2nd guest in for $29, which is the guest fee for programs that allow guests.

Depending on how long your layover is, you might consider going to check out the Delta flight museum, which would probably be more interesting to your kids anyway.
Old May 19, 2019, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

DL did away with single visit passes. Most likely will need to let him stare in.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I do not think you have the option of paying a fee for an additional guest when you enter as a Sky Team Elite Plus; I think you can only bring in one guest. You could go to the club and try, but if you are let in with both children it would be a favor.

You are not flying in business class are you? If you are, then you would all get access due to you each being J pax.

Do you have an American Express that grants any lounge access? In that case they may let the 2nd guest in for $29, which is the guest fee for programs that allow guests.

Depending on how long your layover is, you might consider going to check out the Delta flight museum, which would probably be more interesting to your kids anyway.
We have a 4,5 hour layover. Is that enough? Thanks for the tip!
Old May 19, 2019, 5:52 pm

We have a 4,5 hour layover. Is that enough? Thanks for the tip!
I've never actually been myself. I think it's about a 10 minute drive from the airport but not sure. I'm sure others can chime in with more details. Here is the website:
https://www.deltamuseum.org/home
Old May 19, 2019, 6:25 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I can't imagine that they would deny entry to one of the children. I'd say take your chances and ask if both can come in.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
I can't imagine that they would deny entry to one of the children. I'd say take your chances and ask if both can come in.

Why can't you imagine that? The policy is to only allow one guest. If Sky Team airlines wanted the policy to be friendly to parents traveling with children it would then allow for parents to enter with multiple children.

There is an overcrowding problem at many clubs as it is and I would certainly not expect to be allowed in. In fact, Delta recently changed guest access policies to reduce the amount of families entering clubs. I don't think it's impossible, but I would say it is more likely than not that OP will be denied entry to a second guest.
Spiff and wrp96 like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As a DM who lost lounge guesting privileges as a result of the changes, I would frankly hope that DL doesn't allow the OP to bring all his kids into the lounge for free.
jdrtravel and Spiff like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As a DM who lost lounge guesting privileges as a result of the changes, I would frankly hope that DL doesn't allow the OP to bring all his kids into the lounge for free.

Edit: I have an American Express Platinum Card which will allow me entrance with my kids. Problem
solved.

Last edited by Meneer Guggenheimer; May 20, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old May 20, 2019, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Why can't you imagine that? The policy is to only allow one guest. If Sky Team airlines wanted the policy to be friendly to parents traveling with children it would then allow for parents to enter with multiple children.

There is an overcrowding problem at many clubs as it is and I would certainly not expect to be allowed in. In fact, Delta recently changed guest access policies to reduce the amount of families entering clubs. I don't think it's impossible, but I would say it is more likely than not that OP will be denied entry to a second guest.
I have walked into numerous other non Delta Skyteam Lounges worldwide with my kids without a problem. If Delta is different so be it. My youngest will drink a juice and eat an apple and read a book. If that is such a burden for Delta then so be it.
emrdoc likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 8:32 am

I have walked into numerous other non Delta Skyteam Lounges worldwide with my kids without a problem. If Delta is different so be it. My youngest will drink a juice and eat an apple and read a book. If that is such a burden for Delta then so be it.
I'm so glad you have the card that allows access (I asked about this in my first response to you).
Note that it's not that your child in particular is a burden, or that there are not enough apples and juice. The problem is that Delta does not have enough lounge capacity in certain airports for the amount of passengers who have access. This is a problem that Delta has created, especially at hubs like ATL, JFK, LAX, MSP. If every Sky Team Elite+ member could walk in the lounge with a family of 3-5 people, there could quickly be capacity issues. The Amex solution is a good compromise, some will pay $29 to bring in a guest but not everyone, so it reduces the amount of visitors.

Note: When you enter the club, be sure they know you are entitled to one free guest as a Sky Team Elite+ and that you want to pay for just one extra, not two, with your card.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You're not allowed to mix entry methods. To use AMEX you would have to enter using it and paying for yourself and both children. No getting You and one child in free as STE+ and then using ANEX only for child 2. You don't get to stack multiple methods of entry together.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier
OP you should of flown AA, with their rolling MX delays you would not have to worry about lounge access because your 4.5 hour layover would probably be cut down to about 30 mins. Side note kids are expensive either pay up or all sit near the gate together.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.