Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“The captain has advised us to stay seated...”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“The captain has advised us to stay seated...”

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by reimero
Having said that, to my knowledge there are only two periods during which "sit with your seatbelt fastened" is a hard and fast requirement: during takeoff and landing. The rest of the time it's semi-required. If the seatbelt sign is on and you want to stretch your legs, FAs can and will yell at you. But other than takeoff and landing, they cannot legally prevent you from heeding the call of nature.

Actually, you are required by law to obey posted placards (including seatbelt signs) as well as crew instructions. If you were to seriously ignore FA directions or a posted sign, including the seatbelt sign, they could theoretically have the police greet you upon arrival. I don't think this will happen just for running to the restroom, but the point still stands.

Edited to add source: Here is the language of the law, which comes from the same place as the regulations about tampering with smoke detectors:

"Each passenger required by § 121.311(b) to occupy a seat or berth shall fasten his or her safety belt about him or her and keep it fastened while the “Fasten Seat Belt” sign is lighted."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.317
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; May 18, 2019 at 2:35 pm
Old May 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by ethernal
1 hour flight time may be a bit much (as opposed to 1 hour block time).. but yes, if something is less than a 4-4.5 hour drive (and you can avoid traffic) then it's a no-brainer to drive in my opinion. Really depends partly on where your actual O and D points are (e.g., if you live far north of Atlanta and your destination is south Nashville).

For me, I leave my house about 90 minutes before my flight on average - sometimes a bit more if traffic is bad, but that's a good rule of thumb. Assume an hour block time, and 30-45 minutes to get to your true final destination, and in theory you're at your destination in just over 3 hours - which is faster than 4 hours. But flying has risks as you noted, and the intermodal nature (Uber -> security -> gate -> boarding -> flight -> deboarding -> uber/rental -> get to destination) is far more stressful (in my opinion) than car -> destination. On the flip side, you can theoretically work while flying, but with block times so short that benefit is trivial at best.
My last trip to Jacksonville - and even Memphis - took 4+ hours.

Heck, my trip to whOrlando two weeks ago was a disaster due to WX (departure was after t-storms rolled through, but flight jammed up by airfield closure), and then uber/taxi wait time was 45-60 minutes (yes, you read that right).
So while I was scheduled to arrive at 6:34pm (and left my house at 3pm for a 4:55pm flight), I actually arrived at Disney Springs at 9:04pm.

Driving would have been about the same time - 6 hours, 20 minutes.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:48 am

www.aviationweather.gov is a really good resource for predicting turbulence. A very basic knowledge of aviation is helpful in interpreting the graphics, but I would imagine most frequent flyers and flyertalkers can figure it out. I check the map before every flight and try to plan when I stand up based on the map. Green triangles or a random yellow triangle generally are very light bumps that I don't worry about standing up during. A couple yellow triangles or worse and you definitely want to stay seated over that part of the country.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Actually, you are required by law to obey posted placards (including seatbelt signs) as well as crew instructions. If you were to seriously ignore FA directions or a posted sign, including the seatbelt sign, they could theoretically have the police greet you upon arrival. I don't think this will happen just for running to the restroom, but the point still stands.

Edited to add source: Here is the language of the law, which comes from the same place as the regulations about tampering with smoke detectors:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.317
According to the letter of the law, if the crewmember verbally instructs you to sit down, you must sit down. If the crew member informs you that the seat belt sign is on but does NOT explicitly tell you to sit, you're legally in the clear. To my knowledge, this has never actually been tried in court.
Regardless, the instant a passenger starts to get combative, the passenger is completely in the wrong.
Old May 19, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
This reminds me of a not-so-amusing anecdote from last year: I was flying DXB-ORD (on Emirates). We had pushed back from the gate and were taxiing, approaching the runway, and one yahoo decides he has to get up and use the lav RIGHT NOW. Needless to say, the FAs quickly unstrapped themselves and told him in no uncertain terms to sit down RIGHT NOW and stay seated until further notice. The guy started to argue but relented just as the plane was turning onto the runway.
Old May 19, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
This reminds me of a not-so-amusing anecdote from last year: I was flying DXB-ORD (on Emirates). We had pushed back from the gate and were taxiing, approaching the runway, and one yahoo decides he has to get up and use the lav RIGHT NOW. Needless to say, the FAs quickly unstrapped themselves and told him in no uncertain terms to sit down RIGHT NOW and stay seated until further notice. The guy started to argue but relented just as the plane was turning onto the runway.
I was on a WN flight where a passenger got out of his seat and ran to the bathroom in the back as soon as we turned off the runway from landing. FAs called the flight deck and we came to an immediate stop on the taxiway and remained there until he came out of the lav and returned to his seat. The FAs made announcements to semi-shame him: “Please hurry up in there. We’re all waiting on you.”
Old May 19, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I was on a WN flight where a passenger got out of his seat and ran to the bathroom in the back as soon as we turned off the runway from landing. FAs called the flight deck and we came to an immediate stop on the taxiway and remained there until he came out of the lav and returned to his seat. The FAs made announcements to semi-shame him: “Please hurry up in there. We’re all waiting on you.”
I’m sure he didn’t give a crap about the shaming.
Old Hickory likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Troppy
I’m sure he didn’t give a crap about the shaming.
I think he was giving a crap though. We sat there several minutes.
trooper likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
According to the letter of the law, if the crewmember verbally instructs you to sit down, you must sit down. If the crew member informs you that the seat belt sign is on but does NOT explicitly tell you to sit, you're legally in the clear. .
Can you point me to that letter of the law? Because when I read "Each passenger required by § 121.311(b) to occupy a seat or berth shall fasten his or her safety belt about him or her and keep it fastened while the “Fasten Seat Belt” sign is lighted" I see the letter of the law being about the lighted sign.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:23 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
The fact that there is a discussion about this is kind of pathetic. I do not book flights based on whether or not I will receive a drink service. I personally don't want an FA falling into my lap if the flight is turbulent. Sometimes they will use it as an excuse to be lazy, or maybe the captain was expecting turbulence but they were rerouted or things cleared up by the time we are en route. Also I have had to get up while the seatbelt sign was on to use the restroom and the FAs didn't scold me or try to shame me into sitting down. Either way, a beverage and tiny serving of whole grain Cheezits (disgusting, why can't they be regular???) is the least of my concerns when I am on a flight.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jackvogt
The fact that there is a discussion about this is kind of pathetic. I do not book flights based on whether or not I will receive a drink service. I personally don't want an FA falling into my lap if the flight is turbulent. Sometimes they will use it as an excuse to be lazy, or maybe the captain was expecting turbulence but they were rerouted or things cleared up by the time we are en route. Also I have had to get up while the seatbelt sign was on to use the restroom and the FAs didn't scold me or try to shame me into sitting down. Either way, a beverage and tiny serving of whole grain Cheezits (disgusting, why can't they be regular???) is the least of my concerns when I am on a flight.
I am not one that really cares much about service, so I would say I am generally aligned...

That said, turbulence can technically happen any time. Unexpected clear air turbulence can happen at any point in the flight regardless of measured and reported meteorological conditions. Therefore, an airline is always making some sort of trade-off on service versus risk of injury/incident from turbulence unless they simply provide no cabin service at all (and ban passengers from getting up through the duration of the flight). I think it is perfectly reasonable to question (as a customer) exactly where that trade-off is being made.

In-flight turbulence-induced injuries are exceedingly rare. Rare enough that when they do happen, they make at least local/regional news (and often times national). Aiming for zero injuries (instead of "less than one-in-ten-million chance") inherently means sacrificing material service - something that a lot of people do care about.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by jackvogt
On a recent flight I had 2 FAs who come hell or high water were going to do dinner service even with a pretty decent amount of turbulence. They were able to handle the situation perfectly.

I am not one that really cares much about service, so I would say I am generally aligned...

That said, turbulence can technically happen any time. Unexpected clear air turbulence can happen at any point in the flight regardless of measured and reported meteorological conditions. Therefore, an airline is always making some sort of trade-off on service versus risk of injury/incident from turbulence unless they simply provide no cabin service at all (and ban passengers from getting up through the duration of the flight). I think it is perfectly reasonable to question (as a customer) exactly where that trade-off is being made.

In-flight turbulence-induced injuries are exceedingly rare. Rare enough that when they do happen, they make at least local/regional news (and often times national). Aiming for zero injuries (instead of "less than one-in-ten-million chance") inherently means sacrificing material service - something that a lot of people do care about.
Thanks, I specifically said the service is not something I particularly care about in the original post, but it does make me wonder what the purpose is. I can say this particular flight hit 32k+ feet and the seatbelt light turned off the crew still took about 5 - 10 minutes to leave their seats. I had plenty of water and snacks I brought onboard myself but again seemed interesting.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In-flight turbulence-induced injuries are exceedingly rare. Rare enough that when they do happen, they make at least local/regional news (and often times national). Aiming for zero injuries (instead of "less than one-in-ten-million chance") inherently means saccrificing material service - something that a lot of people do care about.
Exceedingly rare in terms of multiple passengers being thrown around so violently their heads hit the ceiling and the Captain has to request an emergency landing and ambulances meet the plane? Sure.

Exceedingly rare in terms of a F/A twisting her ankle while trying to maneuver a 200-pound trolley full of liquids and other supplies back to the galley while the floor is bouncing around (which BTW never makes the evening news)? Airlines who have to pay the resulting workers comp claims would beg to differ.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bear96
Exceedingly rare in terms of multiple passengers being thrown around so violently their heads hit the ceiling and the Captain has to request an emergency landing and ambulances meet the plane? Sure.

Exceedingly rare in terms of a F/A twisting her ankle while trying to maneuver a 200-pound trolley full of liquids and other supplies back to the galley while the floor is bouncing around (which BTW never makes the evening news)? Airlines who have to pay the resulting workers comp claims would beg to differ.
You're right that the drink carts are a major cause of worker's compensation claims, but not for the reason you'd think. Lifting (think heavy bags into the overhead bins), pushing (those heavy drink carts), and constantly leaning over (to the side or to the ground) create back injuries which are far and away the most common worker's compensation claim for flight attendants. Turbulence induced injuries are further down the list.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
They should just have you click a waiver when you buy your ticket that you won't sue if you decide to get up while the seatbelt sign is on. The US is ridiculous. Alitalia usually has the seatbelt sign off as soon as the gear is up.
demkr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.