Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Celebrates 100 Days no Cancelations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Celebrates 100 Days no Cancelations

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
My flight to MCI-ATL is currently delayed over 5 hours due to mechanical but no cancellation (good job Delta). Luckily I got the last F seat on the last flight of the night which gets in a couple hours earlier. Unfortunately, I missed my connection to ORF but I got a seat on the first flight tomorrow morning which will get me in early enough for my client meeting. Delta staff handled everything perfectly (but I do have to get a hotel voucher in ATL so we'll see how that goes).

Add another flight not cancelled. Kudos!
Old May 21, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Another example...not being critical...DL 663 from Monday eve 5/20 ATL-TUL delayed by massive convective activity now airborne Tues AM 5/21 over 10 hours late.

Last edited by RobertS975; May 21, 2019 at 6:06 am
Old May 21, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Given all the weather waivers we had this winter, I find this hard to believe.

Bob H
Old May 21, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Just as a case-in-point on whether padding schedules is "reasonable" - take DL1429 from ATL->SJC this morning. Due to unseasonably strong jetstream over the West Coast today and a line of thunderstorms across the Great Plains, the plane pushed on time (well, a minute late, but close enough), didn't have an abnormally long taxi (14 minutes), and landed nearly half an hour late simply because of weather. This is why flights are padded .
Old May 29, 2019, 8:37 pm

I just wanted to leave this FlightAware cancellation list here in light of the weather in the Northeast today.

American Cancellations: 435 - 12% of total scheduled mainline flights
Southwest Cancellations: 427 - 9% of total scheduled mainline flights
United Cancellations: 42 - 1% of total scheduled mainline flights
Delta Cancellations: 3 - .1% of total scheduled mainline flights

Mind you, don't ask about anyone's regional airlines (including Delta's). It's ugly.
indufan and strickerj like this.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ethernal
I just wanted to leave this FlightAware cancellation list here in light of the weather in the Northeast today.

American Cancellations: 435 - 12% of total scheduled mainline flights
Southwest Cancellations: 427 - 9% of total scheduled mainline flights
United Cancellations: 42 - 1% of total scheduled mainline flights
Delta Cancellations: 3 - .1% of total scheduled mainline flights

Mind you, don't ask about anyone's regional airlines (including Delta's). It's ugly.
AA and WN have it bad but they also had bad weather in Dallas so for yesterday I might give them a pass (but not overall).
Old May 30, 2019, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jacobac00
Correct, that day wouldn't have been added to the 100 day count. (That number is total, not consecutive)
HUH? Unless an airline is really bad and goes out of business quickly, it will hit a hundred nonconsecutive days without a cancellation.

When a flight turns into a special section 9XXX number the next day, does that count as a cancellation?
Old May 30, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
AA and WN have it bad but they also had bad weather in Dallas so for yesterday I might give them a pass (but not overall).
Yes, I know there was bad weather in Dallas - including a 2-hour groundstop. Still, to put that 435 (now 437) number in perspective, American only does 520 mainline flights out of DFW on a regular early summer Wednesday. Admittedly you can double-count a bit (each departure is also an arrival), but still, that's an insane number of cancellations.

When adjusting for departures at ATL vs. DFW, the mainline cancellation numbers are higher than Delta got even during its famous April 2017 meltdown (admittedly that dragged on for a couple of days so a bit worse). And yet no one blinks an eye - on American, it's just accepted that they may cancel (non-proactively) 10% of flights the due to some bad WX.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? Unless an airline is really bad and goes out of business quickly, it will hit a hundred nonconsecutive days without a cancellation.

When a flight turns into a special section 9XXX number the next day, does that count as a cancellation?
It is days per year, and how soon in the year they hit that mark. The person you quoted makes perfect sense in how the answered who they quoted. It is 100 year to date, not 100 in a row.

I didn't get it at first either then I read the article.
jacobac00 likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
It is days per year, and how soon in the year they hit that mark. The person you quoted makes perfect sense in how the answered who they quoted. It is 100 year to date, not 100 in a row.

I didn't get it at first either then I read the article.
That said, Delta has racked up some pretty impressive no-cancellation streaks (asterisks about "12 hour delayed" flights aside). Some fortuitous weather patterns, some really good luck, and I am sure some very costly decisions they wouldn't normally make to keep the streak alive put Delta at over 35 consecutive days of no mainline cancellations back in November of 2017. A true almost six-sigma-like statistical anomaly, I don't know if we'll ever see that again. That said, since 2017, Delta has done a good job of lowering the number of regional cancellations - "brand perfect" days were less of a focus back then.
defrosted likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
The effort placed forth in preventing the cancellation of DL1096 (SEA to KOA) and DL 2845 (KOA to SEA) was unheard of, it took a 757 ferry flight from LAX so that they can run the flight 11pm that day. Originally, the flight was scheduled for 4pm ish departure. Id think most airlines would simply cancel.

Jiburi
Old May 30, 2019, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi
The effort placed forth in preventing the cancellation of DL1096 (SEA to KOA) and DL 2845 (KOA to SEA) was unheard of, it took a 757 ferry flight from LAX so that they can run the flight 11pm that day. Originally, the flight was scheduled for 4pm ish departure. Id think most airlines would simply cancel.

Jiburi
Originally Posted by ethernal
So let me get this straight.. you're proposing that - in order to avoid a 50 minute delay - Delta scrambles to find a crew to fly the 757 to JAC, and then have them turn the same plane empty from JAC, and then fly an empty A319 and RON it in SLC so that there is a plane to fly the return route? So in order to avoid a 50 minute delay (for a plane that was already going to RON) they will fly not one but two empty segments?

Are you insane?

PS - SLC is not a large hub for Delta. It is their third smallest hub (only larger than O/D focused LAX and barely birthed SEA). MSP, DTW, ATL, JFK, even O/D-oriented LGA by a nose are larger than SLC.

Dont let Ethernal see this, scrambling to find a crew and flying an empty 757 to operate a flight is INSANE.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Dont let Ethernal see this, scrambling to find a crew and flying an empty 757 to operate a flight is INSANE.
You know as well as I do that there are significantly different contexts between these two threads and the circumstances associated with them.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I'm not sure how else to phrase it, but Delta didn't have 100 days in a row of no cancellations. That is what I was trying to clarify for the person I was responding to. You are correct though, if an airline operates for let's say at least a year they will hopefully have at least 100 cancel free days. The Delta press release was announcing how quickly they reached that number. Hopefully this helps clears up your "HUH?".
Old May 30, 2019, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by jacobac00
I'm not sure how else to phrase it, but Delta didn't have 100 days in a row of no cancellations. That is what I was trying to clarify for the person I was responding to. You are correct though, if an airline operates for let's say at least a year they will hopefully have at least 100 cancel free days. The Delta press release was announcing how quickly they reached that number. Hopefully this helps clears up your "HUH?".
You'd hope, but American sure as heck doesn't manage 100 no-cancel days a year. I don't think United does either, but they're probably close.

Interestingly, Delta says they are at 31 consecutive days with no cancellations as of Wednesday: https://news.delta.com/delta-flew-mo...e-cancellation. Maybe they'll break the 37 day record from 2017 after all. The cancellations I referenced above on Wednesday were diversions and 99XX flights which they don't count as cancellations.
jacobac00 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.