Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Celebrates 100 Days no Cancelations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Celebrates 100 Days no Cancelations

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ethernal
You say that - right up until the alternative is cancellation and booking on a flight two days later.
Was booked on a rolled delay SFO-LAX flight and I sensed trouble so I managed to SDC to the next scheduled one seventy minutes later which left on time. After I got home I saw online my original flight departed eight hours late and the next three scheduled SFO-LAX flights departed BEFORE the first scheduled one. You could drive the distance in less time and see a movie. The pax stuck on the first flight must have had infuriation beyond belief.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estedman
I guess that flight that I was on 4/15 JFK/ATL because of crew timeout does not count.
Flight 2675? Technically, it was not cancelled, just delayed by 14 hours. Yes, I know it feels like they are cheating. But, it doesn't actually disprove their claim.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...009Z/KJFK/KATL
Old May 17, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by ethernal
Lastly - perhaps those of us with status don't appreciate this fact - but cancellations can be very, very bad. I am guarantee you that person in Basic Economy with no status was glad that the flight persisted. Otherwise they may not be able to get rebooked to their final destination for a long time - far longer than the next morning would have been.
Exactly. With a rolling delay, if the flight still leaves there's at least no reduction in capacity. Sure, it may be 12 or 15 hours later, but it gets there in the original seat and without having to worry if the next day or two's flights still have enough room for me (and everyone else) to be rebooked. With load factors getting higher and higher, there's no guarantee that everyone can be easily rebooked on other flights.
ethernal likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77

I’ve left ATL 30 minutes late and landed early in TPA.
Also a few times I’ve had delays go into the next day (8 hours+) and technically not a cancelled flight.
This whole on time obsession and no cancellations is a bit silly imo.
Seriously? Time obsession IS THE AIRLINE WORLD.

I find it hard to believe that some people can't see the benefit of greatly delaying a flight vs. cancellation. If there are other options, you are in the same boat as if they canceled. If there AREN'T other options, then you are screwed with a capital F.

Delta has operational excellence and operational superiority in the USA and that is a statement of fact.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
Flight 2675? Technically, it was not cancelled, just delayed by 14 hours. Yes, I know it feels like they are cheating. But, it doesn't actually disprove their claim.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...009Z/KJFK/KATL
Captain came on intercom and said it was cancelled. I guess he misspoke.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Small sample size here, but I got hit by a rolling day due to MX (yay M88) a few years back ATL-PBI. Flight ended up being rescheduled to ~12h after when it should've taken off, for a departure time of 6:30a if I recall correctly.

After a wait in line and some persistence, I got a night at the Westin (incidentally, the previous time I had stayed there I had to pay $79 because WN misconnected as a result of WX on the incoming flight). And what ended up being 20K SkyPesos. And I elected to fly out early afternoon rather than 6:30a, which had the side benefit of being on a 717 rather than that same M88. If the original flight had been cancelled rather than 12-hour delayed, I almost certainly wouldn't have gotten the flight I did, as I was on a lowly no-status BE fare for that leg.

As another anecdote, for the most recent conference I booked speaker travel for (something like 20 round-trips), AA canceled two folks flights. One of them ended up having a misconnect on the rebook flight, forcing *another* rebooking. At which point that speaker decided that the entire situation was a lost cause, and I don't blame 'em. Southwest had one cancel/rebook. AA also had a schedule change early on that would've caused a misconnect, so they bumped that person to an earlier flight when I had paid extra for a more reasonable timing.

The most Delta did was move a flight 45 minutes well in advance of flying it. And arriving early JFK-AUS. Padding or not, they were boring in all the right ways. Which is a big reason why I'm rooting for them throwing focus city designation at AUS.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by BenA
Delta’s definitely an operationally excellent airline, but let’s also recognize that there is some significant gaming of the stats going on here.
DL doesn’t make the DOT completion/delay criteria. They’re bound by the same reporting rules as every other airline (*with more than 1% of US traffic carried). Every other airline also tries to operate flights that are significantly delayed, DL just does a better job at it. I used to do the DOT reporting for another US3 carrier. Every month there were a few 12+ hour delays.

I’ll be be the first to admit that I think the criteria is less than optimal, but if I cared that much, I’d write my congressperson. I think a controllable delay over 6hr should count as an incomplete. (Maybe 10 hr for uncontrollable). Even with that criteria, DL would still come out ahead of its peers.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:13 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Doesn't padding the schedule make customers happier because they believe their flight has arrived "early"? Similarly, contractors will quote something a little higher than it will actually be so they can come to you and say they were able to do it for a little cheaper than expected? It can be irritating but a lot of people like to think they arrived earlier.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Doesn't padding the schedule make customers happier because they believe their flight has arrived "early"? Similarly, contractors will quote something a little higher than it will actually be so they can come to you and say they were able to do it for a little cheaper than expected? It can be irritating but a lot of people like to think they arrived earlier.
Yes, who doesn't like arriving early?
But that's just a side benefit--I assume DL's main goal is to not arrive late, have strong operating statistics, and gain new business based on that -- hopefully more than enough to offset the costs of padding the schedule, as some posters described above.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It's more about making sure that passengers can reliably connect than anything.

Also - more or less, Delta seems to aim for an average delay of 0 minutes. They tend to be within +/- 2 minutes in terms of average delay across all flights. I don't even know if you can call that padding - that's just a mean best guest arrival time. Obviously that means that - due to the long tail of delays (a flight can be delayed 3 hours, but it will never be 3 hours early no matter how great the jetstream is) - the median flight will arrive early (indeed, 70-80% of flights will arrive early).
Old May 20, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Doesn't padding the schedule make customers happier because they believe their flight has arrived "early"?
its not so much about arriving ‘early’ because there may or may not be a gate available if you do. It’s feeling like it’s okay to book a sub-60 connection time at a hub in many circumstances and still make your connection even after a typical 20 minute ‘hold at origin’ because Atlanta ATC feels like things are getting backed up at there again.

Call it valuing predictability and better odds I’ll fly my ticket as booked.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
If AA could go a week without a mainline cancellation I think they'd be celebrating over on Amon Carter Blvd.
MCI777, wrp96, sky303 and 1 others like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
its not so much about arriving ‘early’ because there may or may not be a gate available if you do.

Delta has improved the no gate availability in ATL tremendously over the years.
Originally Posted by beachmouse
after a typical 20 minute ‘hold at origin’ because Atlanta
These also have gone down tremendously outside of the inner ring. I suspect maybe the inner ring is worse.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by indufan
Delta has improved the no gate availability in ATL tremendously over the years.
That is not my experience.

Originally Posted by indufan
These also have gone down tremendously outside of the inner ring. I suspect maybe the inner ring is worse.
As a denizen of the inner ring, IME your suspicions are correct.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
If AA could go a week without a mainline cancellation I think they'd be celebrating over on Amon Carter Blvd.
Hell, if AA could go a day without a cancellation it should be cause for celebration, lol (obviously I'm exaggerating but I feel like I get a cancellation of 50% of my AA flights).
wrp96, AANYC1981 and ethernal like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.