Wiki Posts
Search

What has happened to loyalty?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta diamond 1MM, Hilton diamond
What has happened to loyalty?

So finally made diamond for the first time and also hit 1 million miles. Used the awards to get the sky lounge pass. And also reduced my Amex from Plat to gold as I don't really pay for much myself anymore and it was a waste of money. A few weeks ago, returning from Munich I went to the lounge but was refused entrance because I was only in Comfort Plus, and this lounge was only for Delta 1st. Was then told if I had purchased the SAME ticket through KLM or Air France, I could have had access even in coach. Then to rub salt into the wound, some young guy walks up and because he had the Platinum Amex card he was allowed entry!!!. Oh and as a nice person he asked them if I could go in as his guest. And that was ok!. So Delta now puts revenue from Amex above loyalty?
Old May 15, 2019, 8:59 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Nothing new here, it's been like this for years now. Lounge access rules are very clear on the website. If you want lounge access on a 3rd party lounge, buy Delta One, get a Priority Pass membership, or pay the lounge fee.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Nothing happened. Delta is being loyal to a partner that is giving them Billions as opposed to one giving them hundreds or thousands.
smc333 and 1337wafflez like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:06 am
Original Poster

I know it's not new, just frustrated that I have a lounge membership, and if I had booked it on AF or KLM as a code share I would have been ok. Just wanted to vent
strickerj and Zeeb like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by pnorrey
I know it's not new, just frustrated that I have a lounge membership, and if I had booked it on AF or KLM as a code share I would have been ok. Just wanted to vent
Which lounge were you trying to access in MUC? I think the only one accessible in the pod that Delta uses is the BA lounge but that may have changed since I was last there. Not sure how buying the ticket through AF or KL would have helped - there is an AF lounge at MUC which you would have access to as a diamond in economy, but you wouldn't have been able to get to it / it's in a different sterile area than where the DL flights leave from.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

You are correct they have a sterile are for international flights from Terminal D. They have an airline lounge where they list all the airlines who have access to it. This list included Delta, KLM, Air France etc. But each airline has it's own agreement with the company who owns the lounge.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Nothing new here, it's been like this for years now. Lounge access rules are very clear on the website. If you want lounge access on a 3rd party lounge, buy Delta One, get a Priority Pass membership, or pay the lounge fee.
Here's the existing thread on the change for third-party lounge access which happened way back in 2014 --

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges
Old May 15, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Thank You!!! this explains it. It sucks but at least it explains it
Old May 15, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Yuck, it's because your Skyclub pass is only for Skyclubs, not partner lounges. if you are going to continue to travel internationally, it might be worth choosing a different Diamond gift if you requalify next year, and re-up your Amex Platinum... You'd still have Skyclub from them, plus Priority Pass (two options in MUC), plus Centurion, plus Escape, plus Plaza Premium, plus Airscape.

Not that this helps you for now
Old May 15, 2019, 11:49 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Gig103
Yuck, it's because your Skyclub pass is only for Skyclubs, not partner lounges. if you are going to continue to travel internationally, it might be worth choosing a different Diamond gift if you requalify next year, and re-up your Amex Platinum... You'd still have Skyclub from them, plus Priority Pass (two options in MUC), plus Centurion, plus Escape, plus Plaza Premium, plus Airscape.

Not that this helps you for now
I was at MUC two months ago and was able to access the LH business lounge with my Amex Plat. That was a plus!
Old May 15, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Not sure how buying the ticket through AF or KL would have helped
Because AF/KL are willing to pay for Skyteam Elite Plus flyers to access 3rd party lounges. Delta isn't.
Old May 15, 2019, 3:09 pm

That’s why I’m only loyal to my wallet
strickerj likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM
If it makes you feel any better / worse, visiting https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/locations , selecting MUC and "Delta Skyteam Elite Plus Member (Delta Diamond, Platinum Or Gold Medallion)*" shows access to three lounges, including I think the one you were hoping for. There's no explanation for the '*' on the membership type.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Because AF/KL are willing to pay for Skyteam Elite Plus flyers to access 3rd party lounges. Delta isn't.
Right I know that but buying a DL operated flight on the AF/KL codeshare would still have the customer checking in with DL and getting a DL boarding pass right? I think OP would have needed to be an elite in the AF/KL program in this situation
Old May 16, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Right I know that but buying a DL operated flight on the AF/KL codeshare would still have the customer checking in with DL and getting a DL boarding pass right? I think OP would have needed to be an elite in the AF/KL program in this situation
But OP said he/she is Diamond. Shouldn't that give Elite Plus status and be able to get into a lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.