What has happened to loyalty?

Old May 16, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by pnorrey
So finally made diamond for the first time and also hit 1 million miles. Used the awards to get the sky lounge pass. And also reduced my Amex from Plat to gold as I don't really pay for much myself anymore and it was a waste of money. A few weeks ago, returning from Munich I went to the lounge but was refused entrance because I was only in Comfort Plus, and this lounge was only for Delta 1st. Was then told if I had purchased the SAME ticket through KLM or Air France, I could have had access even in coach. Then to rub salt into the wound, some young guy walks up and because he had the Platinum Amex card he was allowed entry!!!. Oh and as a nice person he asked them if I could go in as his guest. And that was ok!. So Delta now puts revenue from Amex above loyalty?
The platinum card is a premium card (especially internationally). Delta wants to please customers who have that sort of discretionary spending. It's an easy and simple way to weed out people who aren't willing or able to spend money on flights. Of course it's both over and under inclusive, but it's just generally a good method. The benefit to Delta goes beyond loyalty to, or revenue from, Amex.

Not sure why the age of the guy walking in matters. Unless he was 15 years old, that doesn't seem notable.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
But OP said he/she is Diamond. Shouldn't that give Elite Plus status and be able to get into a lounge?
The lounge in question isn't a skyteam-carrier operated lounge but at third party one (that also appears to have displayed the AF/KL logos) which was the issue...
Old May 16, 2019, 12:06 pm

But OP said he/she is Diamond. Shouldn't that give Elite Plus status and be able to get into a lounge?
Sure, elite plus travelers are entitled to access any skyteam operated lounge.

Third party lounges are, by definition, not skyteam operated.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Right I know that but buying a DL operated flight on the AF/KL codeshare would still have the customer checking in with DL and getting a DL boarding pass right? I think OP would have needed to be an elite in the AF/KL program in this situation
I am pretty sure it will not matter if it's a DL operated flight. Operating carrier is what determines lounge access in this case, and DL does not pay for sky team elite plus access to third party lounges, regardless of which program they get the status from.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I am pretty sure it will not matter if it's a DL operated flight. Operating carrier is what determines lounge access in this case, and DL does not pay for sky team elite plus access to third party lounges, regardless of which program they get the status from.
Correct. If OP had been flying AF/KL then he'd get access as STE+. Delta however only provides it for STE+ (regardless of which airline status is with) to third party lounges when passenger is in J.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:49 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
This is not new but I still think it's totally lame and very cheap for Delta. HND for example is such a biz airport (hopefully, if they actually have 5 more flights, the will open their own lounge or maybe SkyTeam would actually do something and open a co-operated one), which only D1 get a lounge. My Chase Sapphire Researve/PP helps most places (BRU is my other regular airport) but not HND. FYI, the PP lounge in TPE has amazing beef noodle soup, much better than the CI lounge.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Delta however only provides it for STE+ (regardless of which airline status is with) to third party lounges when passenger is in J.
That's kind of a weird way of putting it, since in those cases the passenger's STE+ status doesn't have anything to do with why DL is paying for their lounge access. They pay for access for ALL passengers in J regardless of status.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
This is not new but I still think it's totally lame and very cheap for Delta. HND for example is such a biz airport (hopefully, if they actually have 5 more flights, the will open their own lounge or maybe SkyTeam would actually do something and open a co-operated one), which only D1 get a lounge. My Chase Sapphire Researve/PP helps most places (BRU is my other regular airport) but not HND. FYI, the PP lounge in TPE has amazing beef noodle soup, much better than the CI lounge.
Given DL's pattern for sky clubs abroad, I would be extremely surprised if they opened one at HND. Clubs at the origin seem only marginally useful anyway. If you really need a lounge at your origin then it's probably a good sign you're getting to the airport too early.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Sure, elite plus travelers are entitled to access any skyteam operated lounge.

Third party lounges are, by definition, not skyteam operated.
but OP is in Munich which has a KLM/AF lounge. That is considered a 3rd party lounge?
Old May 17, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
but OP is in Munich which has a KLM/AF lounge. That is considered a 3rd party lounge?
There is an AF/KL operated lounge but it's not accessible to the Delta gate (separate sterile areas - though if it was accessible this customer would have had entry). The lounge in question was a third party lounge, which evidently was displaying the AF/KL logos on the sign of airlines that use the lounge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.