Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D1 Purchase Waitlist

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

D1 Purchase Waitlist

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to upgrades, pls excuse me if this is a dumb question -- flying for work next week but D1 is completely sold out, currently in C+ and the agent put me on the wait list to purchase a D1 seat if one becomes available. I'm wondering how this wait list is prioritized against other comp'd status upgrades, award upgrades, UCs, etc? I would think that a cash purchase would be ahead, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance!
Old May 15, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I've never heard of such a thing in 10+ years of flying DL. I have a feeling the agent made something up to try to make you happy. You'll need to keep checking yourself to see if any D1 seats are for sale. You could also set an alert through ExpertFlyer to tell you when a D1 seat opens up.
Spiff, hi55us, crjtraveler and 2 others like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only D1 flights that have comp upgrades for Medallions are domestic D1 flights. Medallions will get bumped up from time-to-time for operational reasons (sold out coach seats) on international D1, but they have no rights or priority over paying customers or customers using upgrade certs or miles to upgrade. In the majority of cases where there open D1 seats on international flights, Medallions who are in coach will not get upgraded and the seats will go out empty.
jbeans likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

This is for D1 on SFO-JFK. I've never heard of such a wait list either! But the receipt from my company travel portal shows I'm wait listed for fare classes D, C, and J.

I will continue to monitor for availability myself as well. Thanks @LoganFlyer for the reminder, I've just set up an alert on expertflyer.

Last edited by jbeans; May 15, 2019 at 8:33 am
Old May 15, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
One other option, Purchase another departure in D1 and then SDC to departure actually want.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
One other option, Purchase another departure in D1 and then SDC to departure actually want.
I'm worried that if I do that, and on the day of departure, D1 seat doesn't free up, and W seats are gone too for the flight that I need. Then I'd be stuck with a D1 seat on a flight I can't take. =T

I'm not super flexible on departure times due to meetings. So I'm thinking best case would be if the plane gets swapped to a 767. *fingers crossed*
Old May 15, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Travel Agents can do this.
NYC Flyer and ijgordon like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Travel Agents can do this.
Thank you for confirming! Do you know if the list is FIFO? Or does medallion status play any role at all?
Old May 15, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
Thank you for confirming! Do you know if the list is FIFO? Or does medallion status play any role at all?
I dont. The inventory on the corporate side will display "HL1" until its confirmed then it will change to "KL1". I have a waitlisted D1 seat on JFK to LAX for a lower inventory bucket, for example.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Is this like flying standby? I don't understand this waitlist and have also never heard of it.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is this like flying standby? I don't understand this waitlist and have also never heard of it.
My first time learning about this wait list too. I imagine it's like standby, and hopefully it's prioritized over other types of upgrades. The travel agent says he cannot see how many ppl are in front of me, and he'll "let me know" if anything opens up. There's nothing on the website or in my app that indicates I'm on this wait list other than the free upgrade I requested (which of course will never clear).
Old May 15, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jbeans
My first time learning about this wait list too. I imagine it's like standby, and hopefully it's prioritized over other types of upgrades. The travel agent says he cannot see how many ppl are in front of me, and he'll "let me know" if anything opens up. There's nothing on the website or in my app that indicates I'm on this wait list other than the free upgrade I requested (which of course will never clear).

I bet this is not a list that Delta maintains but rather your travel agent using some type of software that watches for inventory to become available and then alerts them to purchase it (or automatically does so?).
Old May 15, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: DL
Waitlisting is a very normal operation and is “officially” supported by Delta, although I don’t know when it would stop clearing. As you can see on Delta’s travel agent site, you can waitlist for any business class fare and any Y-class fare: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...olicy.html#wai
Old May 15, 2019, 11:34 am

IF anyone needs a good one our TA rocks for air!
Old May 15, 2019, 11:36 am

I assume this was booked by your Corp travel department and your agent is with whoever controls your Corp travel. Happens to me all the time and it is about a seat being available in a fare bucket we are allowed to book which at times is a discounted Corp fare. Clearing will happen if a seat in the correct fare code opens. I have cleared at the gate but don’t know if that is the norm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.