D1 Purchase Waitlist

Old May 15, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tennessetom
I assume this was booked by your Corp travel department and your agent is with whoever controls your Corp travel. Happens to me all the time and it is about a seat being available in a fare bucket we are allowed to book which at times is a discounted Corp fare. Clearing will happen if a seat in the correct fare code opens. I have cleared at the gate but don’t know if that is the norm.
Yes this is booked by a 3rd party travel agency that we're required to use when booking work trips. Currently I'm waitlisted for D, C, and J which should cover all the available D1 buckets I hope! I imagine clearing the list at the gate isn't uncommon, because why would Delta ever pass up a paid upgrade for a comp'd one.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, priority waitlisting is a published benefit for elites.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...light-benefits
Footnote #4 : Priority Waitlist Status: If the class of service preferred is not available when making a reservation, you'll receive priority waitlist status. This benefit is available only on a purchased ticket.

I don't know DL's policy, but some airlines expire the waitlist at T-24 hours, at which point I believe the fees for the GDS go up (but DL uses a proprietary system so could have flexibility). Regardless, it's not so straightforward, what happens is the waitlist will clear, and then your travel agent will have to issue the ticket. That can take a little bit of time, and I'm not sure if there's a blanket ticketing deadline, but certainly you'll need to be ticketed and checked in before that cutoff (usually 30-60 minutes by airport depending on baggage).

Also, some fares state in the rules that waitlisting is not permitted, but obviously the travel agent would know what fares can and can't be waitlisted.

As others alluded to, you can purchase a ticket for an available flight, and then try to standby at the airport for your desired flight, but there's really no guarantee there either. Also I'm not sure how DL handles those - AA, for example, can be very difficult and won't clear even a paid business class ticket directly into a no-show's seat, they'll first clear any upgrades for passengers already confirmed on the flight, and then they'll offer you to fly coach if there's still room left.

Bottom line, you might want to consider a backup plan on another airline. Or at least confirm a reservation in coach if your schedule is that inflexible. And I would also consider an ExpertFlyer subscription and a flight alert for available inventory - in theory the waitlist process should grab anything that comes up, but you never know. If you get the EF alert, then you call the TA and make sure they grab the space.
LoganFlyer and jbeans like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all this! I'm currently booked in a C+ (W) fare, a middle seat , so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the wait list to clear or for an equipment swap to a 767.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
FWIW, priority waitlisting is a published benefit for elites.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...light-benefits
Footnote #4 : Priority Waitlist Status: If the class of service preferred is not available when making a reservation, you'll receive priority waitlist status. This benefit is available only on a purchased ticket.

I don't know DL's policy, but some airlines expire the waitlist at T-24 hours, at which point I believe the fees for the GDS go up (but DL uses a proprietary system so could have flexibility). Regardless, it's not so straightforward, what happens is the waitlist will clear, and then your travel agent will have to issue the ticket. That can take a little bit of time, and I'm not sure if there's a blanket ticketing deadline, but certainly you'll need to be ticketed and checked in before that cutoff (usually 30-60 minutes by airport depending on baggage).

Also, some fares state in the rules that waitlisting is not permitted, but obviously the travel agent would know what fares can and can't be waitlisted.

As others alluded to, you can purchase a ticket for an available flight, and then try to standby at the airport for your desired flight, but there's really no guarantee there either. Also I'm not sure how DL handles those - AA, for example, can be very difficult and won't clear even a paid business class ticket directly into a no-show's seat, they'll first clear any upgrades for passengers already confirmed on the flight, and then they'll offer you to fly coach if there's still room left.

Bottom line, you might want to consider a backup plan on another airline. Or at least confirm a reservation in coach if your schedule is that inflexible. And I would also consider an ExpertFlyer subscription and a flight alert for available inventory - in theory the waitlist process should grab anything that comes up, but you never know. If you get the EF alert, then you call the TA and make sure they grab the space.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jbeans
Yes this is booked by a 3rd party travel agency that we're required to use when booking work trips. Currently I'm waitlisted for D, C, and J which should cover all the available D1 buckets I hope! I imagine clearing the list at the gate isn't uncommon, because why would Delta ever pass up a paid upgrade for a comp'd one.
It probably doesn't matter to you, but you should expect that if you clear into a D1 seat, the ticket will be in the highest FULL fare class.

Have you considered taking a connection, either through LAX (or elsewhere???) to get D1 service, or in regular domestic FC? If you opt for domestic FC, you'd have a choice of additional airports such as LGA if that would be more convenient for you (but watch out for the bad construction there) or EWR, probably HPN is a possibility too.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It probably doesn't matter to you, but you should expect that if you clear into a D1 seat, the ticket will be in the highest FULL fare class.

Have you considered taking a connection, either through LAX (or elsewhere???) to get D1 service, or in regular domestic FC? If you opt for domestic FC, you'd have a choice of additional airports such as LGA if that would be more convenient for you (but watch out for the bad construction there) or EWR, probably HPN is a possibility too.
Full J fare is fine, since it'd be the only option available. OPM

Thank you for the suggestions! Yes I thought about doing SFO-LAX-JFK to get D1, but since I have to depart in the evening, this routing would land me back in NY at 7am, not ideal. After some mulling over I decided that I'll deal with middle seat C+ to get home sooner. No late afternoon/evening direct flights left on AA or UA either for that day. Oh speaking of LGA, avoid at all cost! Took almost an hour to exit the airport from pick-up garage last week.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jbeans
Full J fare is fine, since it'd be the only option available. OPM

Thank you for the suggestions! Yes I thought about doing SFO-LAX-JFK to get D1, but since I have to depart in the evening, this routing would land me back in NY at 7am, not ideal. After some mulling over I decided that I'll deal with middle seat C+ to get home sooner. No late afternoon/evening direct flights left on AA or UA either for that day. Oh speaking of LGA, avoid at all cost! Took almost an hour to exit the airport from pick-up garage last week.

Nobody has a business class ticket to sell for an evening flight on a date that you want? That is shocking to me, something must be going on. What about Jet Blue Mint? Alaska also flies that route, but with a domestic first class level of service, not business class (though if you are on a former Virgin America plane with those seats, the first class seats are pretty nice).
AntonS likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Nobody has a business class ticket to sell for an evening flight on a date that you want? That is shocking to me, something must be going on. What about Jet Blue Mint? Alaska also flies that route, but with a domestic first class level of service, not business class (though if you are on a former Virgin America plane with those seats, the first class seats are pretty nice).
+1. If you are fine with full J, take a different airline. Mint is pretty good. Unless something is going on you should be able to find J1 on SFO-JFK with preferred evening departure time.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Nobody has a business class ticket to sell for an evening flight on a date that you want? That is shocking to me, something must be going on.
Nah, those ~4pm flights can be pretty popular especially on Thursdays, and given DL is all 757s on SFO-JFK that limits J capacity. This is for next week per the OP, so not really surprising.

I'm assuming OP couldn't get into AA First Class either, probably wouldn't be meaningfully more expensive than a full J fare on DL.

That said, my experience is that there is a lot of movement in availability in the last few days with changes/cancellations, so good chance either the DL waitlist will clear, or something will come up on AA/UA/B6. ExpertFlyer is good for this, absent the ability to waitlist through a TA.
jbeans likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL
Nah, those ~4pm flights can be pretty popular especially on Thursdays, and given DL is all 757s on SFO-JFK that limits J capacity. This is for next week per the OP, so not really surprising.

I'm assuming OP couldn't get into AA First Class either, probably wouldn't be meaningfully more expensive than a full J fare on DL.

That said, my experience is that there is a lot of movement in availability in the last few days with changes/cancellations, so good chance either the DL waitlist will clear, or something will come up on AA/UA/B6. ExpertFlyer is good for this, absent the ability to waitlist through a TA.
In fairness, DL does run a 764 or 763 most days on this route too.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
given DL is all 757s on SFO-JFK that limits J capacity.
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
In fairness, DL does run a 764 or 763 most days on this route too.
only if "most" means "practically never"

While it's true that, at some point in the relatively recent past (maybe a year ago?) SFO-JFK was operated with a mix of the 75S and D1-configured 767s, but it's been all 75S since then.

At any rate, I just did an ITA Matrix search specifying "aircraft t:767" and found a grand total of two such flights through end of schedule, one each on two random Saturdays in August.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Zorak
only if "most" means "practically never"

While it's true that, at some point in the relatively recent past (maybe a year ago?) SFO-JFK was operated with a mix of the 75S and D1-configured 767s, but it's been all 75S since then.

At any rate, I just did an ITA Matrix search specifying "aircraft t:767" and found a grand total of two such flights through end of schedule, one each on two random Saturdays in August.
I agree that it seems to have disappeared recently, although I flew on a 763 JFK-SFO on 4/23 (DL1273) so it can’t be that old of a change. Odd.

(I also flew SFO-JFK in a 764 this year — I remember being very disappointed that DL had sold all 40 J seats and my RUC didn’t clear. )
Old May 16, 2019, 12:37 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by dlflyer00

I agree that it seems to have disappeared recently, although I flew on a 763 JFK-SFO on 4/23 (DL1273) so it can’t be that old of a change. Odd.

(I also flew SFO-JFK in a 764 this year — I remember being very disappointed that DL had sold all 40 J seats and my RUC didn’t clear. )
As it happens I also flew a 763 SFO-JFK in April, on the 16th but it was an equipment swap on the inbound (IIRC this was one of the days there was significant weather on the east coast and there were huge delays on aircraft going to/from JFK)

However at least on dates I've looked it's been all 757s and going back much further than just April. I don't claim my memory is accurate or comprehensive but the fact there are only two individual flights on the entire schedule going forward lends some circumstantial evidence I think...

I guess we could trace back tail numbers on FR24 but I don't care that much
jbeans and dlflyer00 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

4pm flight on a Thursday, bingo! No J/F availability on any direct flight with any of the 4 carriers. Alaska did have a 3pm, but a bit early and seat isn't great, so wasn't worth the switch. For now I'll take my C+ and see what happens when it gets closer. I vaguely remember there being a swap to a 767 on my SFO-JFK trip last month.

A lot of hotels are fully booked too. There must be something going on in SF next week.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well right now there's one first class seat on AA's 3:15pm, and one business class seat on UA's 4:30pm into EWR.
Looks like the AA first class is actually slightly cheaper than UA's business, but both are ~$3k o/w...

I know C+ isn't the end of the world, but it's still coach and a huge difference from business/first on this route.
jbeans likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:03 am

Sfo to nyc Thursday night is a tough route. I always book two one ways rather than round trip to maximize my flexibility. Your best bet to have something open up on this route is actually United into Newark. They have the most service and larger cabins. I am not the biggest fan of United but they have a 530 which beats the red eye. On clearing, it is really hard to predict. There is a ton of movement so you are competing with same day change folks and you have a ticket that needs to be reissued
jbeans likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.