Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best Delta Sky Club at Atlanta Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Delta Sky Club at Atlanta Airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angra
I want to reiterate, so that you won't be caught off guard and have a bad day. Your flight will not be called to get to the gate on time.

I usually allocate 15 minutes for an easy walk + ride from SC F to arbitrary gates in other terminals, but your walking speed, crowds, etc, will affect this.

How long is your layover?
Thanks for your help! Do you mean that regardless of which Sky Club we visit, our flight will not be called to get to the gate in time? Or that if we go to one of the further ones, then this would be the case? I’m used to the London airports where the lounges have departure screens so this is all a bit confusing to me! Our layover is about five hours, but as we are UK citizens we will have to go through customs and I’m a bit concerned about how long that’s going to take!
Old May 16, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Megan Murray

Thanks for your help! Do you mean that regardless of which Sky Club we visit, our flight will not be called to get to the gate in time? Or that if we go to one of the further ones, then this would be the case? I’m used to the London airports where the lounges have departure screens so this is all a bit confusing to me! Our layover is about five hours, but as we are UK citizens we will have to go through customs and I’m a bit concerned about how long that’s going to take!
It's not like Heathrow where they only announce the gates ~1 hour in advance. There are screens in all of the Delta lounges, and your flight should have its gate assigned ~3 hours before departure (gates are subject to change), but there will be no boarding announcements made in the lounge so watch the screens. If you're in the F lounge I'd leave the lounge about an hour before your scheduled departure, maybe more if you'd rather walk than take the train. Boarding starts as early as 40 minutes prior to departure.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:28 pm

• There will be departure screens in each SkyClub. When you check in at the SkyClub, the desk will generally suggest when you should plan to leave to get to your gate.
  • The train is only 1-2 minutes between terminals. But that adds up in you are in the F SkyClub and departing from A or T. So leave earlier if your outbound flight is from T1 or A1, etc. (train station is at midpoint of each concourse).
  • With a 5 hour layover, you'll probably be ready to leave the Club in ample time in any event.
  • One Flew South in the centerpoint of E is an excellent restaurant.
  • If you have time to kill or get bored in the Club,there is some interesting artwork along the moving sidewalks between terminals. One segment has a simulated rainforest atmosphere. Another has African art. Finally, there is small display about the Civil Rights movement at the top of the escalators at the top of the Escalators to E. Or at least there was when I last went through.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings

you must be kidding. This “lounge” is about as farcical as they get. Literally every “The Club” outlet is better barring the closet at LAS T1
  • The complimentary alcohol at the PP "The Club at ATL" is much better than you can get without upcharge at the DL SkyClub.
  • Otherwise, the food, snacks and atmosphere are much better at most of the DL SkyClubs in ATL, especially B, E and F.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Megan Murray

There will be boards with the departures, but they won't make a verbal call over the PA. Boarding will start 30 or 40 minutes before departure, and leaving the lounge an hour before your departure time seems sensible for an easy, relaxed day.

With a 5 hour layover, you should be fine to do the following:
  • Land
  • Go through border formalities, get back airside
  • Go to whichever SC you feel like
  • Check to see if your flight has a gate assigned yet. If not, check back once an hour or so. The person who checks you in to the Skyclub is very likely to check and tell you the gate for your ownward flight. If that person doesn't, then just look for any of the banks of giant monitors with blue background screens which will show the scheduled departures.
  • About an hour before your 2nd flight is scheduled to leave, check to make sure it isn't delayed, then start heading toward gate.

Everything will be fine. I'm a planner, too, especially when I have other people depending on me, so I get it. But with 5 hours you're going to be fine.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think Terminal B has the best club on the whole. Be forewarned if you take the steps, there are lots of them.

AB
Old May 16, 2019, 4:59 pm

If it were me I would absolutely go visit the Delta museum which is on airport property so a 5-10 minute uber ride. Will be very memorable.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by angra
There will be boards with the departures, but they won't make a verbal call over the PA. Boarding will start 30 or 40 minutes before departure, and leaving the lounge an hour before your departure time seems sensible for an easy, relaxed day.

With a 5 hour layover, you should be fine to do the following:
  • Land
  • Go through border formalities, get back airside
  • Go to whichever SC you feel like
  • Check to see if your flight has a gate assigned yet. If not, check back once an hour or so. The person who checks you in to the Skyclub is very likely to check and tell you the gate for your ownward flight. If that person doesn't, then just look for any of the banks of giant monitors with blue background screens which will show the scheduled departures.
  • About an hour before your 2nd flight is scheduled to leave, check to make sure it isn't delayed, then start heading toward gate.

Everything will be fine. I'm a planner, too, especially when I have other people depending on me, so I get it. But with 5 hours you're going to be fine.
Great suggestion. One idea. Download Flight Aware (it’s free) since they seem to be aware of DL gates way before any DL system displays them.
Old May 17, 2019, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by puck021

Great suggestion. One idea. Download Flight Aware (it’s free) since they seem to be aware of DL gates way before any DL system displays them.
Flightaware is pretty arcane (given this traveler's stated experience level) and honestly a lot of the data it reports about future events is not exactly reliable IMO.

The delta app will be more than sufficient. There's not much value in finding out your boarding gate 4 hours before departure vs. 3.5 hours before.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta PM
Personally, I'm a fan of the T club. Particularly after the recent remodel.
tvnwz likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I will add a vote for "One Flew South" in Terminal E if you want some good food and, for, an airport, a good wine selection.

What hasn't been mentioned I think is the fact that one can walk from Terminal F to Terminal T. With a 5hr layover, you might also think about adding in this option in for additional variety of activity during your layover. There are moving walkways between most of the terminals (F to E is not at the same level as the train), or you can walk without using them. Obviously allow more time, but a number of the walkways have some interesting exhibits.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM
Is the SkyDeck at the Concourse F SkyClub open again after the renovation?

[Edit to provide answer: Yes, it is open again (and has been since mid-June). The new roof and fans still couldn't compete with the August heat in Atlanta, but the planters along the floor to ceiling glass are gone which enhance the view, and may induce a bit of vertigo for some.]

Last edited by ajggiant; Aug 15, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings

you must be kidding. This “lounge” is about as farcical as they get. Literally every “The Club” outlet is better barring the closet at LAS T1
Uh, that's the one I was refering to; it's the PP Lunge on F.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:05 am

A17 has one
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:12 am

Whenever I have at least 1.5 hours layover, I take the skytrain to the F skyclub. On a nice day there is nothing better than sitting outdoor on the deck and enjoying the view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.