Dallas to boston - do dal or dfw?

Old May 14, 19, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Dallas to boston - do dal or dfw?

Flying to Boston mid-September with my husband for a long weekend (actually heading out to Gloucester) for a wedding. See options to fly from/to DAL or DFW. I think all through ATL. Trying to minimize long travel days particularly outbound and unsure about what a reasonable connection time in ATL would be. We were going to fly AA but can practically do First on Delta for AA MCE but weighing pro's/con's of non-stop vs a stop & we are not very familiar with ATL and will have roller bags. Thanks in advance for any insight or recommendations.
Old May 14, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL PM
The answer is JetBlue nonstop DFW-BOS.
Old May 14, 19, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
If you really want to minimize long travel days, your best bet is to book a direct flight - either Southwest out of DAL or AA out of DFW.

If you want to stay on Delta, you're probably better off going out of DFW. It's been a long time since I flew out of DAL, but the delta "terminal" was a single gate. I think there was a snack bar. Additionally, if you do face weather or other issues there is only one option out of DAL. At least from DFW you have the possibility of being able to reconnect through MSP/DFW/LGA.
Old May 14, 19, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I like having assigned seats so don't fly SWA very much. AA fares were high but may be our best option.
Old May 14, 19, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Someone mentioned them to me - haven't flown JB in ages. Will check out options. Thanks.
Old May 14, 19, 12:51 pm

A one-stop on DL is probably as reliable as a direct on AA. I would choose DFW as there are a lot of options to reroute you in case of IRROPs and DLs terminal at DFW is quite small and nice. I would not fear missing a connection in ATL - there will not be that long a delay. September 18 for example, there are 12 flights between ATL and BOS. DL will get you there.
Old May 14, 19, 3:02 pm

No advice on which Dallas airport to use, but wanted to wish you a great weekend in Gloucester. If you drive, stop at Nichol's Candies on the way.
Old May 14, 19, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
DAL way better than DFW in terms of just ease of use. If you must go through Atlanta, DAL all the way.

DFW has a few more routes but I wouldn't be worried about IRROPS in September. You're gonna have to make a connection regardless on Delta.
Old May 14, 19, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
DAL way better than DFW in terms of just ease of use. If you must go through Atlanta, DAL all the way.
Agreed.
Old May 14, 19, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CloneCones View Post
Depending on the OP's location in the Dallas area, one airport may be more convenient than the other. I personally like flying into and out of DAL. It isn't complicated, and the new terminal is actually pretty nice (if somewhat crowded at times). There are a lot of food options, especially for a 20-gate (+/-) airport.

The OP alluded to concerns about connecting at ATL. One hour is def a reasonable connection time at ATL. Although the airport is huge and crowded, it is laid out logically (it's just a series of parallel shoeboxes) and there are underground trains between the shoeboxes (concourses) that run every two minutes.Easy Peasy!
Old May 14, 19, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ecaarch View Post
Depending on the OP's location in the Dallas area, one airport may be more convenient than the other. I personally like flying into and out of DAL. It isn't complicated, and the new terminal is actually pretty nice (if somewhat crowded at times). There are a lot of food options, especially for a 20-gate (+/-) airport.

The OP alluded to concerns about connecting at ATL. One hour is def a reasonable connection time at ATL. Although the airport is huge and crowded, it is laid out logically (it's just a series of parallel shoeboxes) and there are underground trains between the shoeboxes (concourses) that run every two minutes.Easy Peasy!
Well, ATL is laid out well. Someone at ATL has foresight back in the 70s to design it for connecting flights and they had the space to build the new terminals while operating out of the old terminals. DFW was not designed for the mega-hub carriers, but more for local traffic as was common in the late-60's designs. That said, if I were flying DFW/DAL-BOS for a long weekend, I would try my best to find a nonstop flight.
Old May 14, 19, 4:27 pm

A few thoughts, those knocking American in favor of delta with a stop I would ignore. American does a fine job on the route and is far better that going thru Atl. If you fly luv just buy early boarding and the seating is fine though I would agree I don’t much care for the way they board. If you are flying coach jet blue is more comfortable than regular coach on any of the other options and they have a huge operation in Bos. The only negative with jet blue is they dont interline with other airlines so your options can be limited if there is an issue and they only have one or two flights a day.

Between the two airports. I think it is really about schedule and convenience

i always fly american

Old May 14, 19, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I fly Delta the vast majority of the time, but for Dallas to Boston I would favor one of the AA/B6/WN nonstops, particularly when going for just a weekend. Otherwise you spend too much time flying compared to the time at your destination.
Old May 14, 19, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
DFW via LGA or DTW will almost certainly guarantee the A220 on at least 2 legs if that's of interest
Old May 14, 19, 5:36 pm

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
DFW via LGA or DTW will almost certainly guarantee the A220 on at least 2 legs if that's of interest
Going via LGA will almost certainly guarantee a delay too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: