Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snack Basket Losing Variety?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
FWIW, on a flight SAN-SEA this weekend, I heard the FA read off his phone "... we are pleased to offer you a selection of snacks from brands you know and love..."

Not sure if this is scripted into the FA manual, but it does seem like DL moved towards mainstream, name-brand snacks (their current snack selection mirrors jetBlue's in at least offering the PopCorners chips and Cheez-Its...).

Available:
- Cheez-its
- Mini oreos
- Biscoff
- Salted Squirrel almonds
- Popcorners chips
- Michel Augustin cookies
- Brookside chocolate covered gummy things (which are NOT healthy you guys...)
- 2 bananas for the whole F cabin

Like many other commenters, I would much rather have the interesting snacks available...

A contact of mine who does F&B at AS did mention to me that she had an insider's tip a while ago that the DL-Pretzel Perfection contract (i.e., the cheezy GF snack mix that I LOVE so much I've bought it off Amazon) was going away.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bj27
A contact of mine who does F&B at AS did mention to me that she had an insider's tip a while ago that the DL-Pretzel Perfection contract (i.e., the cheezy GF snack mix that I LOVE so much I've bought it off Amazon) was going away.
Praise be. I know these things have their fans, and I respect that their products are gluten free, but I haven't had anything Pretzel Perfection makes on Delta that doesn't taste like medium density fiberboard. It's possible to make GF snacks that are credible substitutes, but this company hadn't cracked the code.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bj27
FWIW, on a flight SAN-SEA this weekend, I heard the FA read off his phone "... we are pleased to offer you a selection of snacks from brands you know and love..."

Not sure if this is scripted into the FA manual, but it does seem like DL moved towards mainstream, name-brand snacks (their current snack selection mirrors jetBlue's in at least offering the PopCorners chips and Cheez-Its...).
Typically, announcements over the PA system are intended for the main cabin and Comfort+. The snack selection in those cabins is indeed mainstream brands, particularly the C+ snack basket.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Its becoming more and more Junk Food, downhill for sure. Perhaps the masses prefer that, but I prefer something more nutritious - often buying the cheese plate from Y. Why can't DL offer a simple appetizer in F on non-meal flights?
I like the snack basket for short hops, but I think the 600-900 mile range would be perfect for a small appetizer service, similar to what Alaska offers - a cheese plate or half sandwich would be ideal.

That said, if this were implemented, we'd probably lose a lot of the meal exception routes like SEA-SFO, so be careful what you wish for...
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
Praise be. I know these things have their fans, and I respect that their products are gluten free, but I haven't had anything Pretzel Perfection makes on Delta that doesn't taste like medium density fiberboard. It's possible to make GF snacks that are credible substitutes, but this company hadn't cracked the code.
Fair enough - I personally really liked the mix (especially the 'snappiness' of the GF pretzels), though it did occur to me (having seen it at Costco the other day, buying it for a party, and having the entire bag devoured in one night) you can buy the Munchie's cheddar snack mix (https://www.fritolay.com/snacks/prod...ored-snack-mix) and it is way better than the GF version
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
It's the ultimate first world problem, but...

Couldn't they have brought back those amazing caramel Michel et Augustin cookies rather than the not-quite-as-good salted dark chocolate ones?
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
I like the snack basket for short hops, but I think the 600-900 mile range would be perfect for a small appetizer service, similar to what Alaska offers - a cheese plate or half sandwich would be ideal.

That said, if this were implemented, we'd probably lose a lot of the meal exception routes like SEA-SFO, so be careful what you wish for...
I think a EU-style model would work well too (I'm thinking short-haul KLM/SK style service): a boxed half sandwich/wrap, a snack, and a small dessert would be a vast upgrade to what they have today.
ethernal likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Sssh...

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
It's the ultimate first world problem, but...

Couldn't they have brought back those amazing caramel Michel et Augustin cookies rather than the not-quite-as-good salted dark chocolate ones?
We don't talk about the cookies! (Sorta like Fight Club...)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gretchendz
We don't talk about the cookies! (Sorta like Fight Club...)
Look what was laying around in the snack basket SEA-MSP
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
LOVE those Kookys
puck021 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
Those puffed corn chips that have been showing up lately are pretty tasty.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by kavok
Bananas are my go-to, which have been noticibly absent on more and more flights these days.

That being said, I really miss the Sanders Sea Salt Chocolates they used to have a few years ago. Agree the bland options now are very depressing.
I Frequently have to throw bananas away. They often come with peels that are burst and looking kind of rough. FWIW - it’s annoying to us too because catering is cutting corners and not stocking the baskets properly and we end up walking the aisle with just the four main cabin snacks, I write it up several times a trip and ATL catering is the biggest problem with baskets. Sometimes we get a small offering of the First Class/Comfort+ snacks and inevitably they get taken in the first couple of rows. What you’re seeing is not the service standard, thankfully, but crappy catering. Allegedly they have a new manager in charge of overseeing catering operations and I’m hopeful they implement the changes they’re talking about.

(Also, candidly I would never say this on a plane, please be respectful too - it’s a basket, not a buffet, take 1 or 2 and let everyone get their first choice. We’re generally pretty happy to grab any extras afterwords. Good Flight Leaders also leave the basket on the counter so you can grab extras as you stretch or use the lavatory.)
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyer0889

I Frequently have to throw bananas away. They often come with peels that are burst and looking kind of rough. FWIW - it’s annoying to us too because catering is cutting corners and not stocking the baskets properly and we end up walking the aisle with just the four main cabin snacks, I write it up several times a trip and ATL catering is the biggest problem with baskets. Sometimes we get a small offering of the First Class/Comfort+ snacks and inevitably they get taken in the first couple of rows. What you’re seeing is not the service standard, thankfully, but crappy catering. Allegedly they have a new manager in charge of overseeing catering operations and I’m hopeful they implement the changes they’re talking about.

(Also, candidly I would never say this on a plane, please be respectful too - it’s a basket, not a buffet, take 1 or 2 and let everyone get their first choice. We’re generally pretty happy to grab any extras afterwords. Good Flight Leaders also leave the basket on the counter so you can grab extras as you stretch or use the lavatory.)
Thank you for your contribution to this thread. I highlighted my favorite part.
I look forward to seeing how the management change in catering works out, and I will patiently wait for them to get up to speed.
Welcome, and I hope to see you on a flight soon.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer0889

Thanks for your comment! Question for you: Many of us wish that on short flights with no meal that DL would offer a small fresh snack, like a cheese plate or something like that, instead of the snack basket full of processed foods. Would this be a pain for flight attendants on short flights, to serve a pre-plated light fresh snack?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Thanks for your comment! Question for you: Many of us wish that on short flights with no meal that DL would offer a small fresh snack, like a cheese plate or something like that, instead of the snack basket full of processed foods. Would this be a pain for flight attendants on short flights, to serve a pre-plated light fresh snack?
If it was a single option toss out, service would probably not be significantly longer than walking the snack basket around. Still it would make it harder for the flight leader to assist with trash in the back. MC really hustles on some of those flights to offer a full service.

counting trays/checking for a basket would make out on the ground checks a bit longer. Nothing insurmountable. I can see this combined with a smaller (4 snack basket) being a better service offering.

Fresh snacks would be a significant investment as it would be a higher cost (and it can’t be recatered onto another flight increasing food waste). I’m sure they can afford it and I would feel better about the product offering and would look forward to the leftovers too, because those damn cheezits will be the death of my current pant size.

Last edited by Flyer0889; Jun 20, 2019 at 10:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.