Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snack Basket Losing Variety?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Perhaps more of just a miscater, but snack basket was not even offered on a Sunday ATL-SFO flight in C+. Snack options the whole trip were the same as Y.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
So nobody this far is seeing the unique items mentioned above anymore. Add the stroopwaffles to that list.
Not sure why DL would cheapen their brand by stocking a bunch of unimaginative, 100 calorie snack bags that anyone can buy in bulk at Costco.
And if they are pushing being "healthy" then why drop the bananas which beat any manufactured processed food hands-down.

These 100 calorie bags just remind me what is inherently wrong with the mega-corporate processed food industry. They get us addicted to the stuff then think they look like saints by charging more per ounce, and rationing it out into 100 calorie bags. If I need to stop at 100 calories, I will simply save some of the snack bag for later.

The AS snack basket is now better than DL's by a mile.

The smaller unique snack brands and the variety gave DL a bit of class, and enhanced what is otherwise a very uniform experience among domestic premium products.

Over the last 10 years, how many people knew what a Biscoff cookie was before flying DL?
That item gave DL a little bit of class and uniqueness, and gave Biscoff a ton of business. They need to keep that going with the Michel et Augustin, Stroopwafel and other stuff that we cannot just find in our local grocery store and stick into our carry-ons before the trip.

Seems like somebody at DL corporate is mailing it in planning the snack baskets, because I doubt all of these smaller brands all priced themselves out of a huge bulk order simultaneously.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
They need to stop serving processed food to people who have paid $1K or more to sit in a seat for a few hours.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
So nobody this far is seeing the unique items mentioned above anymore. Add the stroopwaffles to that list.
Not sure why DL would cheapen their brand by stocking a bunch of unimaginative, 100 calorie snack bags that anyone can buy in bulk at Costco.
And if they are pushing being "healthy" then why drop the bananas which beat any manufactured processed food hands-down.

These 100 calorie bags just remind me what is inherently wrong with the mega-corporate processed food industry. They get us addicted to the stuff then think they look like saints by charging more per ounce, and rationing it out into 100 calorie bags. If I need to stop at 100 calories, I will simply save some of the snack bag for later.

The AS snack basket is now better than DL's by a mile.

The smaller unique snack brands and the variety gave DL a bit of class, and enhanced what is otherwise a very uniform experience among domestic premium products.

Over the last 10 years, how many people knew what a Biscoff cookie was before flying DL?
That item gave DL a little bit of class and uniqueness, and gave Biscoff a ton of business. They need to keep that going with the Michel et Augustin, Stroopwafel and other stuff that we cannot just find in our local grocery store and stick into our carry-ons before the trip.

Seems like somebody at DL corporate is mailing it in planning the snack baskets, because I doubt all of these smaller brands all priced themselves out of a huge bulk order simultaneously.
I agree.
I think the unique products add not only class, but adds something interesting to look forward to. Junk I can get in a variety pack at the grocery store cheapens the experience.

I suppose the question is does the less variety basket influence flight purchase decisions. Other than death by a thousand cuts, this particular issue makes no difference in my choice of airline. I wonder if I am not alone and Delta figured this out?

However if they ever get rid of Biscoff... that is another story.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by defrosted

However if they ever get rid of Biscoff... that is another story.
When you fly a ton like many of us do I am a little bit sick of the Biscoff cookies-especially when sitting in F over Y and some variety or unique items like the french cookies would make yet another flight more bearable.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta PM
Same choices IND-ATL Sunday afternoon.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The current snack basket is ideal for those of trying to insure we get our required daily dose of trans fatty acids, preservatives and various assorted other chemicals that are useful in killing rats.

I don't eat this crap at home, so do not see why I need to eat it just because I am stuck in a tube, Nobody dies of hunger on a plane.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by WWads
I don't understand how this keeps happening. Having decent snacks is pocket change for Delta.
Actually, the manufacturers pay DL to place their products in the basket. Sorta similar to supermarket slotting fees. So what we get is whatever a manufacturer is paying to slot. (I sat next to a snack food manufacturer exec on a DL flight a few years back that explained how it worked. His product was in the basket at that time and he said that his company paid DL $.25 per package to have it in the basket.)
ACCDraw and becks1 like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:56 am

Big decline in snacks ex-SEA as well. All but one trip has been west of the Rockies this year, but I have been in F on every flight. Several flights have only had biscoff, kind bars and almonds but most have been those three items plus a couple of heavily processed items like cheeze its or oreos.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Actually, the manufacturers pay DL to place their products in the basket. Sorta similar to supermarket slotting fees. So what we get is whatever a manufacturer is paying to slot. (I sat next to a snack food manufacturer exec on a DL flight a few years back that explained how it worked. His product was in the basket at that time and he said that his company paid DL $.25 per package to have it in the basket.)
So simultaneously, they sell all of the "slots" to the mega-sized corporate processed food makers like Kellogg (Cheez-Its), Mondelez, and Kind (newer but still quite mega-corporate) over the lesser-known "treasure hunt" brands?

Easier to manage 3 slots than 8-10? Let the mega-corporate partner switch out stuff from their own portfolio en masse seasonally?

And who pays the slotting fee for the banana which seems to be disappearing?

For a company that is leading the pack with their domestic in-flight service, and trying hard to create value for paid C+ (just read their comments when the boarding order changed in January), this move just looks lazy and complacent.
Old May 14, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
So simultaneously, they sell all of the "slots" to the mega-sized corporate processed food makers like Kellogg (Cheez-Its), Mondelez, and Kind (newer but still quite mega-corporate) over the lesser-known "treasure hunt" brands?

Easier to manage 3 slots than 8-10? Let the mega-corporate partner switch out stuff from their own portfolio en masse seasonally?

And who pays the slotting fee for the banana which seems to be disappearing?

For a company that is leading the pack with their domestic in-flight service, and trying hard to create value for paid C+ (just read their comments when the boarding order changed in January), this move just looks lazy and complacent.
Seeing what the other poster said above, I doubt its about being easier to manage more to do with who is willing to pay the most. Processed food manufacturers are seeing sales decline and for them this is a cheap and desperate way to advertise. If it costs them 25 cents/package of oreos, and 10 customers take a bag, they have advertised to 20 customers in F for 12.5 cents per head which is a good rate. Unfortunately for them, customers in F are probably not going to go out and buy a package of oreos after seeing them or eating them on the plane. Its a waste of money as they are not targeting the right market (but hey, that is why their sales are declining) and it looks bad on Delta. I don't care what food conglomerate is stocking the snack basket, but I do expect a least couple of options that are not just heavily processed chemicals. Delta should be exercising a little more control over what goes into the snack basket.
becks1 and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:06 pm

Old May 14, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
This video is actual footage of me when presented with a basket of Cheez-Its. It’s embarrassing.

Miesque likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:19 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Unfortunately the Oreos and cheeze its remind me more of my college dorm snack food than anything else, which was definitely not a premium experience. Nothing says classy like coffee in china, a tablecloth, and bag of Oreos I guess!

Bananas and almonds were my go tos. I’ve been settling for the kind bars most recently but I’d also like the old selection back
Old May 14, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ecaarch
If DL is getting paid to serve these items, wouldn't you think DL would instruct FA's to push them on people more so than what is reality? I do understand a limited supply perhaps but there are probably many vendors willing to get their product placed and seen.....just my thoughts.

Ohhhh wait...unless flight crew takes the remainders (I partially don't fault them) and the service count is good to DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.