Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

1 hour 10 min layover in DTW: will my bags make it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

I'm flying from Buffalo to Detroit to Los Angeles. Layover in Detroit is an hour and 10 minutes. Not changing airlines, on Delta for both flights. Debating on checking bags, or wondering if I should attempt to only do carry-on. Any help is appreciated!
Old May 13, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lkdjfkk3
I'm flying from Buffalo to Detroit to Los Angeles. Layover in Detroit is an hour and 10 minutes. Not changing airlines, on Delta for both flights. Debating on checking bags, or wondering if I should attempt to only do carry-on. Any help is appreciated!

You and your bags will be fine. If there happens to be a delay, then both you and your bags could miss, but Delta would get you both to LAX on the next flight with room. I would not worry about it.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Not even close, bags routinely make it is far less time. Bags will easily make it in 1:10.

Last edited by indufan; May 13, 2019 at 12:32 pm
Old May 13, 2019, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
Not even close. Bags will easily make it in 1:10.
Your second sentence makes it clear but the first sentence could be interpreted either way - either as “not even close that your bags will make it” or as “1:10 is not even close to a tight connection”.
Zeeb and ryw like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
The way DTW is laid out, bags can transfer VERY quickly. I fly through there quite a lot and have had the occasional very, very tight (~20 minute) connection and my bags made it.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you can make it, your bags can make it faster. You can make it.

If there are delays, you (and your bags) will be rebooked onto the next flight with availability.
indufan and krazykanuck like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

Your second sentence makes it clear but the first sentence could be interpreted either way - either as “not even close that your bags will make it” or as “1:10 is not even close to a tight connection”.
OK, I edited it for clarity.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I love how everyone just basically repeated what I said in the first response
Old May 13, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
I had a 27 minute connection yesterday due to a late inbound. My bags STILL made it to the plane before I did.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
I had a 27 minute connection yesterday due to a late inbound. My bags STILL made it to the plane before I did.
My bags have made connections that I missed.

Three years ago on American, my bags spent the night at my final destination while I spent the night in Dallas.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
DL has some fine checked baggage ops.
If it was NK, that would tougher question to answer.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
On a tight connection your bags are more likely to make the flight than you are, in my experience. And 70 minutes isn't a tight domestic connection.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Plus that fact that Delta always pat their time, so you prob. have more like 1:40 connection time.
BilikinHawk likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I love how everyone just basically repeated what I said in the first response
Nobody would do that.

Anyway to OP.....
You and your bags will be fine. If there happens to be a delay, then both you and your bags could miss, but Delta would get you both to LAX on the next flight with room. I would not worry about it.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta SM, Marriott LPE
The DTW Delta Terminal is very, very efficient. This is not quite a transfer situation, but I flew through DTW this this weekend and my plane was at the C Gates. I had to wait a couple minutes to pick up my gate-checked bag and then headed straight to the baggage carousel to pick up my checked bag. It was waiting at the carousel when I arrived.

Last edited by BilikinHawk; May 13, 2019 at 3:10 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.