Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SkyMiles award ticket on cancelled CZ route -- options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles award ticket on cancelled CZ route -- options?

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
If UA can do it, I wonder why DL won't.
AFAIK, DL employees who help customers in irrops or such by doing something that is not strictly within the scopes of what they are allowed to do will get in trouble, may even lose their job...so there is a real disincentive to help customers (that's what I've heard, can't speak as to is it true, but it seems that it could be).

UA, on the other hand, is trying really hard to be customer centric. UA India call center has much more power and discretion than DL "Diamond" line, IME, at least. I mean, on an award ticket, they can spend a few $1000 hard cash buying a full-fare J ticket in case of irrops on another non-*A carrier if customer so asks (no objections, they'll just do it), even though there are literally 10s of other same-day options on UA available. DL just never gives its staff anything even close to that level of discretion. Just like for IDB UA, I believe, has the highest discretion of credits to give, so it is irrops. UA is trying really hard. I mean, good experiences and good publicity makes people forget about the bad. Makes sense. (UA also has a lot of targeted bonuses for infrequent flyers, such as buy one or two RT tickets, or spend $xxxx, and get 25,000 miles or something like that. DL, on the other hand, for several years has had no real promotions or incentives for pax to fly DL.)
Old May 14, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
I have a similar conundrum:

I booked a flight using KE Skypass miles on Delta metal for roundtrip LAX to AMS with some intra-europe flights mixed in (September 2019 trip). Well it seems that Delta has cancelled the LAX/AMS route entirely. So now my inbound and outbound flights are cancelled, but my intra-europe flights are still there. I have made a bunch of reservations around these dates and I am going to wedding so the dates need to stick and I have about $6000 in reservations. I also booked this 6 months ago.

Been on the phone for hours with delta and korean air (they keep telling me to call the other one). No saver award availability at all. And it seems like Delta won't put me on any of their flights.

I am expecting Korean Air to just cancel the award booking entirely. And I will probably skip the wedding and the trip entirely. Anyone had any advice?
Old May 15, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Jerkstore
I have a similar conundrum:

I booked a flight using KE Skypass miles on Delta metal for roundtrip LAX to AMS with some intra-europe flights mixed in (September 2019 trip). Well it seems that Delta has cancelled the LAX/AMS route entirely. So now my inbound and outbound flights are cancelled, but my intra-europe flights are still there. I have made a bunch of reservations around these dates and I am going to wedding so the dates need to stick and I have about $6000 in reservations. I also booked this 6 months ago.

Been on the phone for hours with delta and korean air (they keep telling me to call the other one). No saver award availability at all. And it seems like Delta won't put me on any of their flights.

I am expecting Korean Air to just cancel the award booking entirely. And I will probably skip the wedding and the trip entirely. Anyone had any advice?
That is pretty much it. All you can do is cancel and redeposit. DL is totally unsympathetic in cases like this when it cancels its own flights, unfortunately.

UNLESS KE will reroute you via ICN. LAX-ICN-AMS. Ask them for that. That they can do on their own flights. (Probably not valid routing ex. LAX (would be ex. HNL though), but you can ask. They should be able to force it through as an even reissue, just make sure to call the KE NY and not the India call center. The India call center, AFAIK, is totally useless; even TAs refuse to call it, will wait for next day to call KE NYC.)
MSPeconomist and jrkmsp like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is pretty much it. All you can do is cancel and redeposit. DL is totally unsympathetic in cases like this when it cancels its own flights, unfortunately.

UNLESS KE will reroute you via ICN. LAX-ICN-AMS. Ask them for that. That they can do on their own flights. (Probably not valid routing ex. LAX (would be ex. HNL though), but you can ask. They should be able to force it through as an even reissue, just make sure to call the KE NY and not the India call center. The India call center, AFAIK, is totally useless; even TAs refuse to call it, will wait for next day to call KE NYC.)
I was reassured by reddit that Delta will re-book me just like they should for paid fares on the same flight. KE just needs time to conference with Delta to get space opened up on a flight. So I am hopeful, just sucks going through a proxy.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Wow! I never knew UA would do all of that. Thanks for the info.

Frankly, its shocking to me that DL is known as the best service-oriented airline, and also that one that purports to give its employees the most discretion on a case-by-case basis.

If UA can do it, I wonder why DL won't.
Cause when you say "service" you mean IRROPS and service on-board.
DL is known for horrible mileage redemption, and this is one of their issues (in addition to requiring ridiculous amounts of miles).
Old May 15, 2019, 9:32 am

I was reassured by reddit that Delta will re-book me just like they should for paid fares on the same flight. KE just needs time to conference with Delta to get space opened up on a flight. So I am hopeful, just sucks going through a proxy.
Did you get a money-back guarantee from the redditors as well?
Old May 15, 2019, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Did you get a money-back guarantee from the redditors as well?
Sarcasm is helpful, but it's an award flight, so yes.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:08 pm

Good luck. AFAIK DL has never done it before (and they cannot, anyway) for non-006 tickets, and is firmly unwilling to do so. If you can make the impossible happen, it'll be a first, and all the more power to you if you can make DL at least a little bit less anti-customer. (Though realistically of course we all know it's impossible, unless DL opens up inventory at the same time as the ticketing airline is trying to search for replacement flights. Coordinating that is theoretically possible, but in practice and real life, esp. given how fervently anti-customer DL is...)
Old May 20, 2019, 10:47 am

Good luck. AFAIK DL has never done it before (and they cannot, anyway) for non-006 tickets, and is firmly unwilling to do so. If you can make the impossible happen, it'll be a first, and all the more power to you if you can make DL at least a little bit less anti-customer. (Though realistically of course we all know it's impossible, unless DL opens up inventory at the same time as the ticketing airline is trying to search for replacement flights. Coordinating that is theoretically possible, but in practice and real life, esp. given how fervently anti-customer DL is...)
So they ended up re-booking me on DL118 LAX-CDG (with suites) going and then CDG-JFK (A330) & JFK-LAX (767) coming back. Worked out pretty good.
Old May 20, 2019, 7:07 pm

So they ended up re-booking me on DL118 LAX-CDG (with suites) going and then CDG-JFK (A330) & JFK-LAX (767) coming back. Worked out pretty good.
Did they take over the ticket and reissue it as a 006 ticket? Or opened availability and then your ticketing airline rebooked it?

That is a major accomplishment indeed. ^ First report ever on FT of DL doing something like this when a flight is canceled.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Congrats! Now if only my problem was so easily solvable...
Old May 21, 2019, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did KE do this or DL? Or did you involve both of them?
Old May 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

Did they take over the ticket and reissue it as a 006 ticket? Or opened availability and then your ticketing airline rebooked it?

That is a major accomplishment indeed. ^ First report ever on FT of DL doing something like this when a flight is canceled.
No clue. How do I determine that? I am pretty sure KE re-issued the ticket.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did KE do this or DL? Or did you involve both of them?
KE called Delta and made it happen.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:23 am

Look at the ticket number under your reservation/receipt.
006 = DL
180 = KE
Old May 22, 2019, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

KE called Delta and made it happen.
This sounds like KE asked DL to open award space for you and DL agreed, which is good news for all of us that this is possible and that DL and KE are perhaps getting along better in the JV. [DL has a reputation for failing to play well with other airlines.]
RealHJ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.