Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Md-88 atl <> yyz

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Md-88 atl <> yyz

Anyone know whether (when) Delta plans to replace this service with newer/better aircraft?
A220 seems logical from a political (Canadian built) perspective. But anything would be an improvement over the often-delayed, outdated, and dirty MD’s.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I don't think DL cares about the politics of putting Canadian built planes on Canadian routes. Looking ahead, a) DL's schedule shows nothing but 88s on this route for the next 11 months, and b) all the 88s are due to be retired by the end of next year, so in early 2021, ATL-YYZ won't be on one (assuming that plan doesn't change, of course.)

FWIW, AC uses E75s on this route if you want a more comfortable ride.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
This isn't exactly a flagship route for Delta. AC is the only competitor, and runs regional jets.

I'll take an MD88 over a 737 any day...
Old May 11, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't think the OP would be happy with the likely trend on fares if DL replaced 149-seat aircraft with 109-seat aircraft 1-for-1.

As for XXX-ian aircraft to XXX, I just don't see the point. Mercantilism's been dead for 200 years. Canadian's buy and use lots of non-Canadian products. Air Canada flies a lot of non-Canadian aircraft.

Last edited by 3Cforme; May 11, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old May 11, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It may eventually become an A220 route, but it would be the A223 (which is similar to an MD-88 in capacity) and not the A221. Atlanta will not be a big base for A221s - there is more robust discussion on this on other threads, but I figure that Delta will use the A221 to replace 717s ex-ATL and then start to consolidate the remaining 717s into ATL (and maybe one other hub) over the coming years - they're pretty spread out right now.

I don't know what Delta's plans are for the A223, but if I had to guess they won't use that many of them in Atlanta either. Out of all of Delta's hubs, Atlanta is the one that would be able to successfully deal with a 160-180 seat plane rather than a ~135 seat A223, so I figure they'll go to other hubs. Then again, Delta has plenty of A319s so who knows.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This route used to be all regional planes so a MD88 seems like an upgauge and upgrade to me.
dtwtransport likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
This route used to be all regional planes so a MD88 seems like an upgauge and upgrade to me.
I have been traveling this route monthly for 15 years. Most of the 5-7 flights per day during this time used to be DL Connection regional jets. The past few years with only mainline planes have been a huge improvement. Air Canada has no onward connections beyond ATL whereas DL has some from YYZ with Westjet.
lindros2 and dtwtransport like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lindros2
But anything would be an improvement over the often-delayed, outdated, and dirty MD’s.
You must fly on different MD-88s than me. It is my favorite domestic aircraft.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by indufan
AA's fit this description, but DL has done a good job at cabin refreshes and upkeep.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by indufan
So to all of the people claiming the MD-88's are terrific and an upgrade.
Last summer, I had 12 - yes, twelve - MD-88 flights cancelled. One of them was a diversion to Dulles that made the news.
I don't have a Flightaware premium account, but at one point, found over 15 diversions, delays, and cancellations (RIC-ATL among others) related to MD-88 maintenance issues.
Here's my problem - Delta is running MD-88's (back-to-back-to-back-to-back) like Southwest runs 737's (no MAX comments, please).
This = delays and cancellations due to simple issues that I personally (small data sample) haven't experienced on the A320 nor A321. Door issues. Wing/flap issues. Tire/wheel issues.
Why else would Delta run the A321's on "higher-value" routes? Yes, I understand increased capacity - but even the "ceo" (current engine option) has been more reliable than the MD88.
And finally, yes, the MD-88 mainline craft is better than a regional jet for planning purposes. But while Delta nukes a whole ton of regionals during IROPS, MD-88's give false hope. They're still cancelled, and I'm still stranded overnight.

Last edited by lindros2; May 11, 2019 at 10:38 am Reason: *wrong diversion -> diff flight which was another one
Old May 11, 2019, 11:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Last summer, I had 12 - yes, twelve - MD-88 flights cancelled.
This = delays and cancellations due to simple issues that I personally (small data sample) haven't experienced on the A320 nor A321. Door issues. Wing/flap issues. Tire/wheel issues.
Personally, I really enjoy the MD-88s, although the MD-90s are admittedly much better. Very quiet up front, compared to the A320s.

I've only been on a handful of A321s, so I really can't vouch for them, but, for me, the A320s have had SO MANY mechanical issues over the years. It seems like it's always "computer related", even way back to the NWA days.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
Personally, I really enjoy the MD-88s, although the MD-90s are admittedly much better. Very quiet up front, compared to the A320s.
Strangely enough, I don't like the MD-90 as well. I notice that both are quiet but the 88 is quieter.

As to the maintenance from the other poster. I just had a maintenance issue on one and surely that is one of the reasons that they are going away. Having said that, I rarely have a problem but that may be the problem with small number averages but the MD-88 is also the most common aircraft type I fly on.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Last summer, I had 12 - yes, twelve - MD-88 flights cancelled. One of them was a diversion to Dulles that made the news.
I don't have a Flightaware premium account, but at one point, found over 15 diversions, delays, and cancellations (RIC-ATL among others) related to MD-88 maintenance issues.
Here's my problem - Delta is running MD-88's (back-to-back-to-back-to-back) like Southwest runs 737's (no MAX comments, please).
Why else would Delta run the A321's on "higher-value" routes? Yes, I understand increased capacity - but even the "ceo" (current engine option) has been more reliable than the MD88.
And finally, yes, the MD-88 mainline craft is better than a regional jet for planning purposes. But while Delta nukes a whole ton of regionals during IROPS, MD-88's give false hope. They're still cancelled, and I'm still stranded overnight.
Not to question your claim of 12 cancellations, but I doubt the majority - or even more than two or three - were MX cancellations. Delta has an insanely high completion factor and has almost no mainline domestic MX cancellations. They are all out-and-backs to Atlanta which has a world-class maintenance facility. And since they only fly short hauls from Atlanta, Delta has enough spares floating around to send out a rescue plane on short notice if they can't do a quick repair at the outstation.

I won't argue that MD-88s are more likely to be delayed, but the majority of that is not going to be from MX either. They are high frequency, short turn planes flying exclusively on the East Coast in pretty congested air space. Again, a 737 or A320 flying the same routes with the same frequency would have similar issues.

I am sure that they are getting more MX delays due to the fact they are keeping them flying with duct tape and spares from planes that were retired at the end of their life. But you are either the world's most unlucky flyer, or most of your cancellations were from WX - in which case I doubt it would make that much of a difference whether it was an MD-88 or a 737.
indufan likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Anyone know whether (when) Delta plans to replace this service with newer/better aircraft?
A220 seems logical from a political (Canadian built) perspective. But anything would be an improvement over the often-delayed, outdated, and dirty MD’s.
I’d love an MD over the regionals that fly in to YYZ from DTW!
Old May 11, 2019, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
Not to question your claim of 12 cancellations, but I doubt the majority - or even more than two or three - were MX cancellations. Delta has an insanely high completion factor and has almost no mainline domestic MX cancellations. They are all out-and-backs to Atlanta which has a world-class maintenance facility. And since they only fly short hauls from Atlanta, Delta has enough spares floating around to send out a rescue plane on short notice if they can't do a quick repair at the outstation.

I won't argue that MD-88s are more likely to be delayed, but the majority of that is not going to be from MX either. They are high frequency, short turn planes flying exclusively on the East Coast in pretty congested air space. Again, a 737 or A320 flying the same routes with the same frequency would have similar issues.

I am sure that they are getting more MX delays due to the fact they are keeping them flying with duct tape and spares from planes that were retired at the end of their life. But you are either the world's most unlucky flyer, or most of your cancellations were from WX - in which case I doubt it would make that much of a difference whether it was an MD-88 or a 737.
Pull the list of flights from last summer. When early flights are delayed (ATL > RIC > ATL), late (or mid day) flights get cancelled. The attitude of gate agents is the reason why I’m so upset. Parts issues with tires and wing parts have been a long term thing.

Back this - no one knows when they’ll roll to new craft. The end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.