Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to test free WiFi on 55 domestic GoGo flights per day

Delta to test free WiFi on 55 domestic GoGo flights per day

Old May 9, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I will sure miss hacking around Gogo's captive portal.

Originally Posted by iansltx
From what I've read, streaming won't be allowed on the free pass. So yeah, it'd be some iteration of the Browse pass. On aircraft fitted with a fair amount of outside-of-plane 'net capacity. So it should be fine performance-wise.

Remember that B6 has has free in-flight WiFi via ViaSat for years now and their service has been able to keep up with the load. Between higher capacity and the ability to prioritize/throttle the poors (the ranks of which I'll gladly join as long as the free tier can reliably keep an SSH connection) this should be a good thing. Though it might be good enough to command a fare premium over competitors...you know, like all the other good stuff Delta does.
ViaSat's technology 10 years ago was still far better than anything Gogo has today...
Old May 9, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I really hate this. Can they let me pay extra to be on a separate network so I can actually connect and use it worth anything?
Old May 9, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
You mean the signal that many users are already using to stream DL Studio?
No, it isn't. Streaming content is on-board a server not using wifi plane-to-ground bandwidth.

DL is specific in noting the test is on 2Ku flights, not the slower Ku or even slower ATG-4 services.This is correct.

**No idea how this double posted. Mods feel free to delete**
When you're on a DL plane the sticker by the entry door will indicate if the aircraft has the "faster" internet. I can't recall exactly what it says, but it indicates the internet is the improved service.

It will be interesting to see if the service takes a hit if a majority of people try to use it. We shall see.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Quote:
No, it isn't. Streaming content is on-board a server not using wifi plane-to-ground bandwidth.

DL is specific in noting the test is on 2Ku flights, not the slower Ku or even slower ATG-4 services..
This is correct.

When you're on a DL plane the sticker by the entry door will indicate if the aircraft has the "faster" internet. I can't recall exactly what it says, but it indicates the internet is the improved service.

It will be interesting to see if the service takes a hit if a majority of people try to use it. We shall see.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
So basically there will be 55 flights per day where WiFi is worse than it normally is? 2ku included.
Old May 9, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if this will even have much of an impact, at least on domestic flights. Many people are already streaming for DL Studio and that's the same signal - just when you're using DL Studio that's the only thing you can access via GoGo.
Delta Studio content is stored on the airplane itself. It's only consuming bandwidth on the Wifi system itself which is not the bottleneck for Internet access (the bottleneck is the up/down link from the satellite).
Old May 9, 2019, 4:22 pm

Curious how in-depth their testing will go?

Will the GoGo people be onboard with spectrum analyzers hunting out the numerous violators that have VZW and AT&T cards on in their bags walking on the plane's WiFi channels?

I think DL will eventually go all free, I doubt it's with 2Ku or even with GoGo as the vendor.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
According to the appropriate threads, all of the following have 2Ku with any noted exceptions.

73W (Ships 3601-3610)
738 -> 73H+/738 (Ships 3701-3743)
73H -> 73H+/738 (Ships 3744-3773)
73A -> 73H+/738 (Ships 3774-3777)
739ER (Ships 3801-3926)
A319 – All
A320 – All
A321 – All
75S – All
75D – All
75H – All
75G – All
75C – None
753 – All

According to the appropriate threads, all of the following have SAT-WIFI with any noted exceptions.

767-300

No threads re: 767-400, 330, 777, 350

You can search the Forum for Official in the Title to see the threads.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Curious how in-depth their testing will go?

Will the GoGo people be onboard with spectrum analyzers hunting out the numerous violators that have VZW and AT&T cards on in their bags walking on the plane's WiFi channels?

I think DL will eventually go all free, I doubt it's with 2Ku or even with GoGo as the vendor.
Ive run a WiFi analyzer a few times. Most narrow bodies have at least 6 radios broadcasting the gogo SSID(which is DeltaWiFi now I believe). Highly unlikely a hotspot or a dozen hotspots will even cause a blip on their service. Those hotspots would have minimal traffic in the air anyway since they can’t connect to ground.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Ive run a WiFi analyzer a few times. Most narrow bodies have at least 6 radios broadcasting the gogo SSID(which is DeltaWiFi now I believe).
it's still gogoinflight I think maybe only on regionals? Definitely on an E75 flight earlier this week.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
it's still gogoinflight I think maybe only on regionals? Definitely on an E75 flight earlier this week.
Yeah they all used to use that. Most (all?) of the newer ones use DeltaWiFi.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:03 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Yeah they all used to use that. Most (all?) of the newer ones use DeltaWiFi.
I know, I was highlighting the exception
Old May 9, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Maybe they can prioritize bandwidth for paying users and throttle bandwidth for the leeches.

While they are at it, prevent people from using Facetime... been seeing paxs do that way too often lately.
Sounds fair, and YES PLEASE. Same with all VOIP! The beauty of air travel to date is being somewhat out of contact, and it's too confined a space for calls to avoid disrupting others. I never volunteer to log into wifi when traveling for work, I get paid whether or not I'm on.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
The beauty of air travel to date is being somewhat out of contact....
+1 ^^
krakendown likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by iansltx
Remember that B6 has has free in-flight WiFi via ViaSat for years now and their service has been able to keep up with the load.
Every time the DL announcement gets reposted, someone points out the actual experience that jetBlue has had free satellite wifi (with a paid streaming option) operational for years and it works fine, but that doesn't stop the usual complaints about how the "less important" passengers should "get off my wifi".

If DL can't get this to work, it's not because it's not possible.
rogo, jdrtravel and ryw like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.