Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta to test free WiFi on 55 domestic GoGo flights per day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Starting May 13:

https://news.delta.com/delta-takes-f...l-limited-test

Delta's initial test on select domestic high-speed 2Ku Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft is designed to understand customer experience preferences, system performance, customer feedback and more. Dimbiloglu noted that due to the complexity of the project, it will likely take several more test phases and lots of listening to ensure the free product Delta delivers, adds value.

"As with any test in uncharted territory, Delta will rely heavily on customer and employee feedback to navigate how to best make free in-flight Wi-Fi a reality," Dimbiloglu said.

Test flight segments will change daily as part of the test structure, but customers will be notified by Delta if they're being tapped for the test via email and a Fly Delta app push notification prior to their flight and upon visiting the Wi-Fi portal on board.
Eager to see how this goes, but leery of the performance hit as someone who regularly pays for WiFi via monthly subscription.

Last edited by jrkmsp; May 9, 2019 at 8:23 am Reason: Fixed date. Because I'm an idiot.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Starting March 13:

https://news.delta.com/delta-takes-f...l-limited-test

Eager to see how this goes, but leery of the performance hit as someone who regularly pays for WiFi via monthly subscription.
May 13. Wondering that this had been going on for almost 2 months and no one on FT had posted their experience!
Old May 9, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mot29
May 13. Wondering that this had been going on for almost 2 months and no one on FT had posted their experience!
Derp. Fixed. Brain cramp.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
I'm not thrilled to hear this. It's already slow and unreliable. I buy a monthly pass.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by micstatic
I'm not thrilled to hear this. It's already slow and unreliable. I buy a monthly pass.
I do the same and feel the same. How slow is it going to be for the paying customers when all the free testers are getting the signal?
Old May 9, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Maybe they can prioritize bandwidth for paying users and throttle bandwidth for the leeches.

While they are at it, prevent people from using Facetime... been seeing paxs do that way too often lately.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by monitor
I do the same and feel the same. How slow is it going to be for the paying customers when all the free testers are getting the signal?
You mean the signal that many users are already using to stream DL Studio?

I wonder if this will even have much of an impact, at least on domestic flights. Many people are already streaming for DL Studio and that's the same signal - just when you're using DL Studio that's the only thing you can access via GoGo.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
No, it isn't. Streaming content is on-board a server not using wifi plane-to-ground bandwidth.

DL is specific in noting the test is on 2Ku flights, not the slower Ku or even slower ATG-4 services.
crank1225, BenA, hortkie and 1 others like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM

I wonder if this will even have much of an impact, at least on domestic flights. Many people are already streaming for DL Studio and that's the same signal - just when you're using DL Studio that's the only thing you can access via GoGo.
Streaming DL Studio is a local network on the plane and do not impact Internet speeds to/from the plane.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No, it isn't. Streaming content is on-board a server not using wifi plane-to-ground bandwidth.

DL is specific in noting the test is on 2Ku flights, not the slower Ku or even slower ATG-4 services.
I don't see how anything less than 2Ku would be able to operate under the load of a free-for-all. Heck, those other systems already barely work, even after half of the paying passengers on flights with those technologies have given up on trying after page loads hang for 2 minutes.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Frogbone
Streaming DL Studio is a local network on the plane and do not impact Internet speeds to/from the plane.
Hmmm. Never knew that since you have to connect to the GoGo network to be able to use DL Studio. I stand corrected then.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:23 am

Hmmm. Never knew that since you have to connect to the GoGo network to be able to use DL Studio. I stand corrected then.
To simplify - the onboard device that has the media for the IFE is connected to the device that broadcasts the Wifi signal. So you have to connect to the wireless network to get the on-board streaming. The plane to ground connection is a separate connection to the device that broadcasts the wireless signal. Not that there aren't limits to the bandwidth between user end device (phone, laptop, etc) to the device broadcasting the wireless signal, but that's usually significantly higher than than the connection from plane to ground.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Perhaps they'll use a model similar to what they already sell on some of the 2Ku flights... a 'browse' pass for normal web use and a 'stream' pass where you can utilize more bandwidth.
In this case, the free access might be equivalent to the casual 'browse' pass bandwidth and if you pay some amount then you get increased bandwidth. The ability to prioritize and allocate bandwidth is already there so would just be adjusting to what is needed.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
From what I've read, streaming won't be allowed on the free pass. So yeah, it'd be some iteration of the Browse pass. On aircraft fitted with a fair amount of outside-of-plane 'net capacity. So it should be fine performance-wise.

Remember that B6 has has free in-flight WiFi via ViaSat for years now and their service has been able to keep up with the load. Between higher capacity and the ability to prioritize/throttle the poors (the ranks of which I'll gladly join as long as the free tier can reliably keep an SSH connection) this should be a good thing. Though it might be good enough to command a fare premium over competitors...you know, like all the other good stuff Delta does.
Old May 9, 2019, 2:04 pm

I'm flying monday, here is hoping it's one of my two flights for the pilot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.