Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Reclaim My Status - Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reclaim My Status - Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Reclaim my status - Timing

Background: I was a Diamond previous medallion year. I only flew 75k to make Plat. Switched jobs and now this company will definitely involve more long haul travel starting in Jan 2020.

I will probably finish out this medallion year at Gold if I don't submit for the program. I'm wondering that if I apply for the reclaim my status on January 1st 2020, I would still be a platinum. Is that too late of a date though to be able to request for Diamond? Would I need to do in December?

In their FAQ, they state:
Through Reclaim My Status, you cannot earn a Medallion Status higher than what you earned in the previous Medallion year; you can only earn a Medallion Status equal to or lower than the Medallion Status you earned in the previous Medallion year.
As it's previous medallion year, if I apply in Jan 1st, they would still see Diamond as my previous medallion year. I think it's fine, but I just want to make sure. Thoughts? Either apply in January 1st 2020 or apply in December 2019 to be cautious?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“Newton's Law of the Online Forum” will strike again

for every self-proclaimed authoritative opinion, there is at least one equal and opposite self-proclaimed authoritative opinion

while the back-and-forth will probably be entertaining, I would suggest that OP’s best course of action is to inquire directly with DL
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
Background: I was a Diamond previous medallion year. I only flew 75k to make Plat. Switched jobs and now this company will definitely involve more long haul travel starting in Jan 2020.

I will probably finish out this medallion year at Gold if I don't submit for the program. I'm wondering that if I apply for the reclaim my status on January 1st 2020, I would still be a platinum. Is that too late of a date though to be able to request for Diamond? Would I need to do in December?

In their FAQ, they state:

As it's previous medallion year, if I apply in Jan 1st, they would still see Diamond as my previous medallion year. I think it's fine, but I just want to make sure. Thoughts? Either apply in January 1st 2020 or apply in December 2019 to be cautious?
The best plan for that is based on when you will actually be traveling.

I don't think anyone can give you an answer about what will happen if you start in January, though I can imagine arguments in both directions.

Once the challenge is accepted you'll become active as DM for the duration of the challenge, if it is accepted as a DM challenge, so when is your next trip?

Used the Reclaim earlier this year, I did have a surprise:
I hit the Amex PM threshold during the challenge, that waived the MQD requirement and the Amex MQM bonus appeared to count toward the challenge.

I have not seen this posted (but I've not checked) and I'm hesitant to offer this as wisdom except in the case you might have hit the Amex DM waiver, since its unlikely that you'd get that kind of spend in the early part of the year.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:13 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by jrl767
for every self-proclaimed authoritative opinion, there is at least one equal and opposite self-proclaimed authoritative opinion

while the back-and-forth will probably be entertaining, I would suggest that OP’s best course of action is to inquire directly with DL
Let me go ahead and disagree here.

The medallion line folks were completely clueless when I asked questions about the reclaim.

Super helpful for most everything else, but this detail was "uh-uh."
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
This program is very new. Unfortunately you're not going to find much information I'm afraid.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by jrl767

Originally Posted by Wimsta
Let me go ahead and disagree here.

The medallion line folks were completely clueless when I asked questions about the reclaim.

Super helpful for most everything else, but this detail was "uh-uh."

I did call the medallion line and they weren't sure. They only told me to apply when you're ready and see if they will approve for Diamond.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:12 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I did a PM challenge as an AA EXP earlier this year, I've been flying monthly since then and with 3 upcoming trips I should make DM by 12/29. I just got an email inviting me to RECLAIM MY STATUS, 25,000 MQM + 36 MQS + $4,999 MQD is noted (for DM). Since I was never DM what status am I reclaiming?
I'm puzzled as to why I got the email? (From their FAQs, they mention "life situations" to be documented causing me to stop traveling)
PS: (from FAQ)
  • If you enroll in Reclaim My Status between January 1, 2020 and December 31,

2020 and you meet the thresholds, your Medallion Status will be extended through January 31, 2022. If I am reading this correctly, completing the requirements early in 2020 would give me TWO years of DM. Even I make DM 12/29/19 (valid until 1/31/2021) getting an EXTRA year for the numbers quoted seems like a good deal.

Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by nrr
I did a PM challenge as an AA EXP earlier this year, I've been flying monthly since then and with 3 upcoming trips I should make DM by 12/29. I just got an email inviting me to RECLAIM MY STATUS, 25,000 MQM + 36 MQS + $4,999 MQD is noted (for DM). Since I was never DM what status am I reclaiming?
I believe that email (I haven't received mine yet) is two separate things:

- an offer to buy MQMs/MQDs (at ludicrously exorbitant prices) which happens every year: Buy your 2020 Status Email Arrived Today

- an ad for Reclaim my Status

e.g. see post 3 in the linked thread from MSPe.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Employee was approved for the reclaim my status to Diamond. The day he hit Silver, he got an email confirming such, and his status changed immediately or the next day on the Delta App for next year's status. Same thing when he hit Gold. A week ago he got an email saying "Congratulations you've earned Platinum with Reclaim my Status" - yet his "next year's status" has not changed on the App. It still shows 2020 as being Gold.

Should he be worried? On the website it says that the changes will reflect within 5 business days. He is concerned because most of his traveling is on SkyTeam airlines (very little on Delta) - and the MQMs have been crediting correctly, and based on the terms and conditions SKyTeam MQM's are fine. but he still has plenty of time to fly delta if need be for additional miles.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Status renewal

This PM didn’t get the email regarding this program. Is it targeted to certain skymile members?

Last edited by heckler; Nov 23, 2019 at 12:30 pm
Old Nov 23, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by heckler
This PM didn’t get the email regarding this program. Is it targeted to certain skymile members?
There was an email that went out in May titled "When Life Happens, We’re Here To Help". It's essentially like doing a match/challenge except instead of matching from another airline you're matching to status you previously held but no longer do for one of the listed reasons.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...my-status.html
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Question regarding Rollover MQMs. I am Silver but will lose status next year because I traveled less after having a child. I have 60,000+ MQMs this year which will expire if I don't hit Silver. If I Reclaim my status next year, would those MQMs still roll over? I've read Delta's FAQs on the Reclaim My Status page but I don't think they answer this question -- only whether MQMs from next year would roll over to the following year.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Psidium
Question regarding Rollover MQMs. I am Silver but will lose status next year because I traveled less after having a child. I have 60,000+ MQMs this year which will expire if I don't hit Silver. If I Reclaim my status next year, would those MQMs still roll over? I've read Delta's FAQs on the Reclaim My Status page but I don't think they answer this question -- only whether MQMs from next year would roll over to the following year.
Welcome to FT!

IMO if they intended it to work out that way they would have explicitly said so. It *could* be an oversight or a situation they didn't think of when writing the terms -- certainly examples of ambiguity abound elsewhere on the DL web site -- but this one seems unlikely to me. That's just my opinion though.

How many MQDs do you have already? Usually the conventional wisdom is that Silver isn't worth pushing for if you lack the MQMs, but in your case having a bunch of MQMs to roll over changes the equation I think, esp. if you expect your travel to pick up again next year. It might then be worth flying the needed MQDs to attain Silver and rollover 40k+ or to MS your way to the AMEX waiver and thus hit Gold (but then only rollover 10k+, or 20k+ with the DL Plat boost)

Out of curiosity does the 60K include rollover from last year into this year? Otherwise 60k MQMs for under $3k spend is fairly impressive...

EDIT: I just saw your other post saying you are $300 MQDs short. IMO that makes it worth going for.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Psidium

No. I did this program in October. I had 150k in rollover at risk as I had not flown DL for a while.

The way the program works is this:

1. You will earn MQD/MDM as normal.
2. when you hit the reduced targets you get the status. So for instance- as I went through to diamond I hit silver and on. I kept that status even if I did not get all the way back up to diamond.
3. You cannot status jump with this - if you were not diamond before you have to stop at the level you were.
4. They take the mqm's at the end of the year for the status. In my case, I earned 40k mqm's putting me at 190k mqms. next year I will rollover 65k mqm's. If I had only earned silver I would have rolled over 165k mqm;s.

my advice would be to apply this year - and hit it. they will likely retain the rollover that way. Silver int his program is very easy to hit if you fly much at all.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by Zorak
Out of curiosity does the 60K include rollover from last year into this year? Otherwise 60k MQMs for under $3k spend is fairly impressive....
Yeah, it includes about 35k Rollover MQMs. I just barely missed Gold last year too. I think my situation is a result of prioritizing MQMs and MQSs in past years -- I keep missing on MQDs and rolling over more and more MQMs each year.

I'm going to fly the $300 MQDs and keep the rollovers. With the head start, next year will be a good year to try to hit Gold.

And thanks for the welcome. Long time lurker, first time poster

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.