Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do I need to do immigration and checkin at SIN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 9:16 am
Original Poster

I am taking Jetstar from KUL to SIN and then have a separate ticket on Delta to US. Do I need to clear immigration at Singapore, if I have hand baggage only? or is there a way to checkin for Delta airside in SIN, assuming I can't OLCI for some reason?

Thanks
Old May 7, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by flyer0123
I am taking Jetstar from KUL to SIN and then have a separate ticket on Delta to US. Do I need to clear immigration at Singapore, if I have hand baggage only? or is there a way to checkin for Delta airside in SIN, assuming I can't OLCI for some reason?

Thanks
You should be able to get your onward boarding pass at the Delta transfer desk (airside) Terminal 1. Transfer desk usually opens about 3-4 hours before scheduled flight.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
You should be able to get your onward boarding pass at the Delta transfer desk (airside) Terminal 1. Transfer desk usually opens about 3-4 hours before scheduled flight.
+1

Additionally, at SIN, DL does not offer either OLCI or app check in. You must check in with an agent, either airside at a T1 Transfer Desk, or landside at the DL ticket counter.
Old May 7, 2019, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know what terminal Jetstar uses at SIN, but there are transfer desks in the main SIN terminal (T1, T2, and T3 are connected airside and you can even walk) where DL uses T1. The transfer desks generally handle all full service airlines, although there can be several different dedicated agents, depending on the handling agent a carrier uses at SIN. I know I used the transfer desk once in connection with a DL flight and it worked, but I don't remember the details. I remember that they were able to locate and retag a checked bag efficiently and I was able to stay airside.

SIN is more complicated because if you originate there on a USA airline, some security questions are required before you check in, although if you arrive on a connecting flight, you can do the security questions at the gate.

Since you won't be connecting (due to the separate tickets), my guess is that you won't be able to use the transit desk but YMMV.

A local once told me that if you attempt OLCI (you won't be able to complete it and there's no warning, nor does it tell you why) and print the "not a boarding pass" thing, you not only go to a different and faster line at the airport (although SkyPriority might be faster anyway) but the check in and bag drop deadline is a little bit later. I've never seen this documented in writing, so I'm not sure I believe it, and I haven't tried arriving later at SIN. YMMV.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, while doing immigration is not an issue really, it just felt unnecessary and time consuming. Appreciate all the answers and will use the transfer desks. Will be arriving in SIN at least 6 hours before the Delta flight as it is very early in the morning, so looks like need to wait few hours before checking in at the Transfer desk
Old May 7, 2019, 11:36 am

Thanks all, while doing immigration is not an issue really, it just felt unnecessary and time consuming. Appreciate all the answers and will use the transfer desks. Will be arriving in SIN at least 6 hours before the Delta flight as it is very early in the morning, so looks like need to wait few hours before checking in at the Transfer desk
If you have a Priority Pass card, you can hang out at one of the lounges using your arrival boarding pass.

If you want to pass through immigration, you can check out the latest addition to Changi ..... Changi Jewel (which has an indoor waterfall as well as a rain forest, in addition to all the shopping)
Old May 7, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't see why you would need to wait to use the transfer desk if you can get to it, but my concern would be that if your flight arrives at the "new" terminal (T4?) which tends to be used by newer and LCCs/ULCCs, you would need to "enter" Singapore and then you'd be stuck landside until DL opens their check in counter. I'm not sure that any transfer desks in the new terminal (if there are, since LCCs/ULCCs tend to fly point to point and not sell tickets with connections) would be able to help with a DL flight at the other terminal.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't see why you would need to wait to use the transfer desk if you can get to it,
My recollection is that even though the desk may be open and staffed, they won't open the specific window/station for DL until T-3 but my recollection might be outdated or simply wrong.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
but my concern would be that if your flight arrives at the "new" terminal (T4?) which tends to be used by newer and LCCs/ULCCs, you would need to "enter" Singapore and then you'd be stuck landside until DL opens their check in counter.
Pretty sure there's an airside shuttle bus, but it probably requires a boarding pass, which would be the sticking point here, in theory.

However according to the Changi website Jetstar uses T1 though so this won't end up mattering for OP's situation.
Old May 7, 2019, 12:41 pm

OK, I had asked the OP to check the terminal for the inbound flight, but despite two requests, there was no response.

What I remember is each agent at the transit desk being used by a bunch of airlines; there wasn't a specific agent there for DL. The signage over each counter position indicated the airlines that were covered.

I think I once arrived into SIN on DL after midnight and I was with someone from FT who was able to get a boarding pass at the transfer desk for a connection the next morning before going to the transit hotel for the night. We were going to the lounge briefly either before or after the transit desk, so I tagged along. I don't remember the carrier the person was using; it might have been DL back to NRT as part of a MR.
Old May 7, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
From checking the internets, Jetstar uses T-1. Delta flights arrive and depart from T-1 in the D3x area normally. Use the transfer D desk. As mentioned however, the desk won't open for the security interview and check in on Delta until about 2:30am. You won't have to go through immigration unless you depart the terminal. Note that you will go through a security screening at the departure gate and be in a secure 'holding pen' at the gate, so probably don't want to get there too early since you'll be stuck in there until boarding.

There is plenty to see in the airport, although many of the shops close at 23h or 24h. If you aren't flying business class and can't use the dnata lounge and want someplace to rest, you can utilize the plaza premium lounge
Old May 7, 2019, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
For additional suggestions on ways to spend 6 hrs in SIN there's a lot of info collated in the wiki at the top of the previous incarnation of the SIN mileage run thread:

[FARE GONE] DL: SFO-ATL/JFK-NRT-SIN $1,232.30 ai RT (25,318 mi; 4.9 cpm)

Some of it may be out of date of course.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
From checking the internets, Jetstar uses T-1. Delta flights arrive and depart from T-1 in the D3x area normally. Use the transfer D desk. As mentioned however, the desk won't open for the security interview and check in on Delta until about 2:30am. You won't have to go through immigration unless you depart the terminal. Note that you will go through a security screening at the departure gate and be in a secure 'holding pen' at the gate, so probably don't want to get there too early since you'll be stuck in there until boarding.

There is plenty to see in the airport, although many of the shops close at 23h or 24h. If you aren't flying business class and can't use the dnata lounge and want someplace to rest, you can utilize the plaza premium lounge
Doesn't DL still do the security questions at the gate for connecting passengers? If someone has a boarding pass already, they wouldn't know to visit the transfer desk at SIN. I've answered their security questions at least once at the gate, but I don't remember when this occurred. It might have been SQ to DL on separate tickets coming from DPS.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I did this a few months back. Transfer desk is staffed by dnata staff. They can check you in for any flight they handle. Checked in around 1030pm and went to transit hotel to sleep. Had to answer the questions at the gate.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I did this a few months back. Transfer desk is staffed by dnata staff. They can check you in for any flight they handle. Checked in around 1030pm and went to transit hotel to sleep. Had to answer the questions at the gate.
Thank you. That coincides with what I did.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you had your boarding pass from checking in at a previous segment/origin then yes you'll get asked at the gate security check since they'll have the list of who still needs to be interviewed.
If you use the transfer desk then you would normally get asked there... they set up a little 'podium' with the security officer and they do the interview before you go to the counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.