DL @ PHL - Breakfast at Marriot or SC?

Old May 6, 2019, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
DL @ PHL - Breakfast at Marriot or SC?

Hey all,

Traveling to PHL later this week, flying back early Sunday morning. Staying at the Marriott the night prior, with no free breakfast. Wondering if I try for breakfast at the hotel before checking in at the airport or if I should check-in early and have breakfast etc at the SC. Seems to have mixed reviews, and I'd be entering as a $29 fee (DL Amex Plat). $29 would be about $9 than what I'd likely pay for breakfast at the hotel, though I could potentially have a more flexible meal. Suggestions?

Thanks!

EDIT: I know I spelled Marriott wrong. That's just way too many letters, IMO...
Old May 6, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'd eat breakfast at a full service hotel before I'd eat breakfast at a domestic SC any day of the week if the hotel is the cheaper option. Not even close.
griffy208 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I can't imagne any SC breakfast being worth $29 or even $20 which I think you are saying you'd pay at the hotel.
Even DCA with eggs and meat and the potato/veg hash that is about the best breakfast I've seen in a SC.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:37 am
Original Poster

To be fair, I've never tried a SC for breakfast but can't complain about my dinner experiences there.

Thanks all, sounds like I'll plan on the hotel!
Old May 6, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
I was recently in PHL sky club for breakfast and thought it was a good breakfast. Hot options Ie.g. eggs, bacon, toast, bagels) as well as the usual cold fare. Hotel may be better food but you might consider how "much" you could enjoy the sky club for your $29. Especially if mimosa's or cocktails interest you. PHL has a nice self serve bar though I don't know what time they start serving alcohol on a Sunday.
griffy208 and Pittie Pup like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Doesn’t PHL have any decent airport restaurants?
Old May 6, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by griffy208
To be fair, I've never tried a SC for breakfast but can't complain about my dinner experiences there.

Thanks all, sounds like I'll plan on the hotel!
I wouldn't complain about SC dinners either, but you really think they're worth $29?
Old May 6, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mridley2
I was recently in PHL sky club for breakfast and thought it was a good breakfast. Hot options Ie.g. eggs, bacon, toast, bagels) as well as the usual cold fare. Hotel may be better food but you might consider how "much" you could enjoy the sky club for your $29. Especially if mimosa's or cocktails interest you. PHL has a nice self serve bar though I don't know what time they start serving alcohol on a Sunday.
Fair, and good point about serving on Sundays - I hadn't thought of that. The other upside to me is already being checked in and near my gate for breakfast rather than eating earlier and on more of a schedule in the hotel.

Originally Posted by SamOF
I wouldn't complain about SC dinners either, but you really think they're worth $29?
Not on their own, no... I factor other aspects of the lounge experience (quiet, comfort, alcohol, showers, etc) into the price. Several of those wouldn't come into play at PHL SC. But I also just like trying out the various SC locations just 'cause.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:20 am

Although skyclub dinners can be quite good...breakfasts at the skyclub, like on DL flights are generally weak. The only locations where I can honestly say I really enjoyed breakfast were SEA and ATL. Definitely eat at the hotel or use yelp to find a good option in the area.
griffy208 likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are also some decent options at PHL, both land and airside. No reason to limit yourself to a Marriott or a SC and certainly no reason to pay $29 at a SC.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the idea of going airside first, so I'd pick either the SC or some airport place after security and in the same concourse that DL uses. AFAIK it's still the case that not all concourses at PHL are connected airside (or at best there's a shuttle bus) and lines can be long.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Centurion Lounge gets my vote.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I have no way to access the Centurion Lounge.

MSP: I agree, and I believe there is one security checkpoint for all concourses- you can walk to all of them, I believe, but security can easily back up. Hopefully less so with precheck, but still. That's why I'd rather eat airside - I'll be more relaxed that way.

Often1: Fair point. I'll see what else is available (Terminal D I believe)
Old May 6, 2019, 9:06 pm

Random thoughts: The Delta lounge has a fairly good breakfast. Don't know exact time a bloody Mary would be available or how to check. But if a flight problem develops, the lounge personnel are the ones to help and waiting there beats being out on the concourse. If not going to the lounge you might stop at Earl of Sandwich just before the Delta Lounge for the BEST SANDWICH you ever had in your life.
griffy208 likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
The last time I was in the PHL SC it was standing room
only. Poured one beer and quickly left. Self serve bar if memory serves and small buffet set up that was being ravaged quicker than they could fill it.

I would eat at Bar Symon in the terminal if it were me. Decent for airport food.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.