Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Level of Service Declining In All Aspects?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Level of Service Declining In All Aspects?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by strickerj
Meh, I can’t remember the last time I was on a flight that didn’t offer WiFi, and I’ve never used it - I’m not paying $50 an hour for dial-up speed. My Facebook arguments can wait a couple hours.
Yes - it is obviously standard now. As of five years ago though it wasn't universal (Delta was definitely the first mover on getting fleet-wide deployment of WiFi). It's hard to be productive without connectivity these days (especially with things like shared documents that folks edit collaboratively live - can't just take a deck or document offline and work it anymore), so WiFi is a must.

Hell, my first flight JAN-CVG back in 1993 had a full hot breakfast. (And JAN-ATL, which is about the same distance as MEM-ATL, would have too had it not been canceled due to snow in Atlanta.)

Sure, as technology advances, the services enabled by technology will improve - WiFi on board, mobile check-in, baggage tracking, etc. But that doesn’t mean other services haven’t deteriorated in the interest of cost cutting.
Is it cost cutting or economic value alignment?

The vast majority of customers would rather pay $10 less for a flight than get a waffle and ham in coach that tastes worse than a $1.5 biscuit they could pick up at McDonalds. Providing food in the air - and all the logistics behind it - costs money. That's not cost cutting, that's voice of the customer: fare prices are more important than a crappy breakfast.
pbarnette likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I’m not paying $50 an hour for dial-up speed.
It isn't $50 an hour and the newest stuff is way better and dial up.
Sure, as technology advances, the services enabled by technology will improve - WiFi on board, mobile check-in, baggage tracking, etc. But that doesn’t mean other services haven’t deteriorated in the interest of cost cutting.
If they hadn't cut some of those costs there wouldn't be a Delta Airlines. I remember the Chef salad in F on IND-ATL. I always did think it was stupid....not that I didn't eat it from time to time.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
I don’t know anyone who flies as much as I do without a GogoAir or one who wants to borrow my subscription. On international at $69/mo it works for domestic and the satellite aircraft beat any hotel I’ve stayed at recently for 30/10mbps. That’s pretty awesome for the Arctic circle at 35k but it’s also what I grabbed on a flight from ORD to SEA a few weeks ago. Well worth it. Dinosaur flyer thinking dialup speeds, clearly someone who needs an excuse for another cocktail... I just ask for mine with Netflix! 😂
Old May 7, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by doubleA
I don’t know anyone who flies as much as I do without a GogoAir or one who wants to borrow my subscription. On international at $69/mo it works for domestic and the satellite aircraft beat any hotel I’ve stayed at recently for 30/10mbps. That’s pretty awesome for the Arctic circle at 35k but it’s also what I grabbed on a flight from ORD to SEA a few weeks ago. Well worth it. Dinosaur flyer thinking dialup speeds, clearly someone who needs an excuse for another cocktail... I just ask for mine with Netflix! ��
Or get T-mobile. There top plan gives unlimited GoGo internet (including international) - and includes a Netflix subscription - and it's probably cheaper than your Verizon or AT&T to boot. I finally took the plunge a few months ago. Great deal!
IDtoTX likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
It isn't $50 an hour and the newest stuff is way better and dial up.

If they hadn't cut some of those costs there wouldn't be a Delta Airlines. I remember the Chef salad in F on IND-ATL. I always did think it was stupid....not that I didn't eat it from time to time.
A meal in first class is stupid? Delta got into bankruptcy from high labor costs and mounting losses after 9/11, not a chef salad in first class..
strickerj likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by jeet
That confirms it. I am too old.
I consider myself a business traveler - been doing mon-thur grind for number of years.
Last thing I want on a flight is any sort of connectivity with creatures 30,000 ft below
Perhaps there's the opposite view, connecting to the world below helps avoid the trapped conversation or interaction with seat strangers in the sky.

Domestically it's too rude to sleep and recline, so connected is really the only option for anyone with any human decency.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
Perhaps there's the opposite view, connecting to the world below helps avoid the trapped conversation or interaction with seat strangers in the sky.

Domestically it's too rude to sleep and recline, so connected is really the only option for anyone with any human decency.
wow! thats harsh very harsh!
do you mean to say that I am an imbecile, indecent human being because I am not tethered to a device?!!

I do indulge in banter with FAs and co-passengers and am not in 'every stranger is my enemy' camp.

A drink (or few) , a movie and I am in my happy place with nary a care!
Old May 8, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by jeet
wow! thats harsh very harsh!
do you mean to say that I am an imbecile, indecent human being because I am not tethered to a device?!!

I do indulge in banter with FAs and co-passengers and am not in 'every stranger is my enemy' camp.

A drink (or few) , a movie and I am in my happy place with nary a care!
Only that it's possible, but not recommended.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
I started traveling heavily in 2003 when capacity was far ahead of demand. I lived through the complete stripping of service and comfort through the recession. seeing where DL is at now compared to the peer group (WN, UA, AA) I would say DL is far ahead. there are always going to be off days. there are always going to be bad employees. also the more you travel the more points of comparison you have.

DL still has a great product. DL still has a great team. DL still provides the most consistent onboard experience regardless of what plane you fly on. Have you been on a UA flight in E+ where only 1Ks get a free drink? Have you been to an Admirals Club where only Bud Light is free? You may have your bad experiences and you may long for the glory days, but DL has a nicer experience, a more premium product, and a product where you always know what to expect.
powerful pete and defrosted like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
I don't see it. When I have a problem, Delta takes care of it, at worse, with a HUCA. People seem friendly and service oriented, mostly on time, some decent upgrades. I suspect there is a pretty good cliff at the Diamond-Platinum border, though, so I guess I am spoiled.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by ethernal
Or get T-mobile. There top plan gives unlimited GoGo internet (including international) - and includes a Netflix subscription - and it's probably cheaper than your Verizon or AT&T to boot. I finally took the plunge a few months ago. Great deal!
I am dreading that this deal ever goes away. Wifi across the Atlantic last week for $10 a month extra? Such an amazing deal, even if you stick with the basic plan and one free hour each flight.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by orca15
I am dreading that this deal ever goes away. Wifi across the Atlantic last week for $10 a month extra? Such an amazing deal, even if you stick with the basic plan and one free hour each flight.

DL has already announced that they intend to offer free wifi to all pax in the future, so this benefit will likely become meaningless. I believe there is another thread reporting that they are right now testing it. I think the issue is speed & quality with too many users at one time.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Originally Posted by orca15
I don't see it. When I have a problem, Delta takes care of it, at worse, with a HUCA. People seem friendly and service oriented, mostly on time, some decent upgrades. I suspect there is a pretty good cliff at the Diamond-Platinum border, though, so I guess I am spoiled.
Yup. I have a choice as a business traveler and unless there is an outrageous price difference I fly with DL. The service is good to very good and I am taken care of especially when things go wrong.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

A meal in first class is stupid? Delta got into bankruptcy from high labor costs and mounting losses after 9/11, not a chef salad in first class..
It was stupid because it was overkill for a one hour and one minute flight. And more than once I got the same chef salad on my flight from Atlanta to Tuscon.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I think this thread serves for a super interesting discussion; overall, I can’t say I’ve seen any measurable difference with DL currently versus the past few years when I’ve had intensive work travel.

Are there bad eggs here and there? Sure. I had an F/A recently in F on ATL-HOU that I couldn’t get to crack a smile no matter what.

However, I’m consistently impressed at the service mindset that so many DL employees have (not to mention the ridiculously consistent operational performance). I just flew BDL-DTW-NRT-SIN (whew!), and even on a quick BDL-DTW hop, the F/As we’re going super out of their way to provide stellar service - walking down the aisle, providing connecting gate info and detailed directions on where to go in DTW, etc. I had an issue with a GUC getting fouled up on my NRT-SIN segment, and the Diamond line agent was like, “I’m not giving up on you until I get this fixed.” She wouldn’t even take my above & beyond certificate after she straightened things out when I tried to offer it, since she said she was “just doing her job.”

On each leg of the trip, I had nothing but positive experiences, across both ground and in-flight service. Overall, I still think that DL is super on the ball. When I stop feeling the love, I’ll be glad to start shopping around for other airlines.

Side note: what a bummer it’ll be when DL finally shuts down the NRT operation. It’s a shame the finances didn’t work to keep more of the intra-Asia routes open. The team at NRT runs an incredibly smooth operation.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.