Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Level of Service Declining In All Aspects?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Level of Service Declining In All Aspects?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The American Customer Satisfaction Index - which has been doing airline satisfaction scores since 1995 - doesn't show United to be a threat in its report of a few weeks ago. Emphasis mine.

Despite a 4% leap, United sits in the bottom three with a score of 70, only besting Frontier (64) and Spirit (63), which see 3% and 2% climbs, respectively.

Delta also rises 1% to an ACSI score of 75, making it number one among legacy airlines. Passengers enjoy the airline’s many in-flight amenities, including seatback screens, USB ports, and Wi-Fi.

https://www.theacsi.org/news-and-res...avel-2018-2019
Those scores turn about as quickly as the titantic. United was a dumpster fire 5 years ago - they're still recovering from that. And conversely, American is ruining their good name with anti-customer decisions. I bet if you polled only frequent travelers who are abreast of changing carrier performance, United would outperform and American would underperform relative to their current scores.

While it may be statistical noise, the data supports my claim among legacies: American Airlines is starting to fall, United is rising rapidly (i.e., it has recovered), and Delta is holding steady or rising only slowly.
jdrtravel and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:28 pm

Apologies for the double post, but just as further evidence that American Airline's decline is not just noise...

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...stomer-scores/

Becker followed up and asked Isom if he could say if the airline’s net promoter score improved Jan 2019 versus July 2018?

Isom said “we have a lot of internal metrics.. we weren’t pleased with our likelihood to recommend scores, they fell year-over-year for the first time in a number of years.
Admittedly, United still has a three-year headstart over American. Their operations only significantly started turning around about 3-4 years ago. So perhaps American just needs a bit more time. But things are getting worse - not better - as I see it.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Does Delta still have a call center in Chisholm MN? With NWA that was always a great experience. I don't call the Delta line much anymore as I am forced to use my company travel agent - a whole other story.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by pogopossum
Does Delta still have a call center in Chisholm MN? With NWA that was always a great experience. I don't call the Delta line much anymore as I am forced to use my company travel agent - a whole other story.
Yes, and I believe the Chisholm call center is one of the more frequent places where HVC calls are routed.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets

Yes, and I believe the Chisholm call center is one of the more frequent places where HVC calls are routed.
I have gotten it as a GM many times.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gregsfortytwo
Yep, everything was better back in the day and it’s the company, not you. Definitely no way you’ve gotten used to flying and only notice the bad stuff now, or gotten grumpier with age.
Oh really. I've been flying ATL-MEM since the age of 10 in 1999. We always got a full drink and snack service. Now it's just coffee or water. Are you suggesting that the distance between MEM and ATL has decreased or that the same MD-88’s that have flown the route for 20 years have gotten faster? Or perhaps the flight attendants have gotten lazier and management is clinging to every penny that they can.
AANYC1981 and strickerj like this.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott lifetime Ti, USMC
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Oh really. I've been flying ATL-MEM since the age of 10 in 1999. We always got a full drink and snack service. Now it's just coffee or water. Are you suggesting that the distance between MEM and ATL has decreased or that the same MD-88’s that have flown the route for 20 years have gotten faster? Or perhaps the flight attendants have gotten lazier and management is clinging to every penny that they can.
I did consider that in my posting yesterday-- back in the day, HSV-ATL always had drink service, but that stopped shortly after 9/11. It's a short flight, so it's not like anyone's gonna get dehydrated, but it was unquestionably a downgrade.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:11 am

Just to play devil's advocate, I'm pretty sure that those MD-88s didn't have access to the internet or complimentary in-flight entertainment (via WiFi streaming) back in 1999. I'm also pretty sure that you didn't have a super convenient application on your phone that would allow you to rebook flights, receive real-time flight status notifications, track your bags (if you check them), or avoid a stop by the check-in counter to get a boarding pass.

If there is a real loss in travel it has been the ongoing densification of the planes and the farce that is modern-day security screening - not the loss of your drink service between ATL-MEM.

Of course, the competitive environment changes over time. The things I listed above are now just an expectation - I won't fly a carrier without WiFi for example. That said, minus the security and plane densification, travel is significantly easier and more convenient than ever before.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
If there is a real loss in travel it has been the ongoing densification of the planes and the farce that is modern-day security screening - not the loss of your drink service between ATL-MEM.
Can't they both be a "real loss?" I certainly agree that loss of personal space is a bigger deal, but I also miss the pre 9/11 standards of domestic meal service.
strickerj likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:50 am

Wink

......... I won't fly a carrier without WiFi for example....
No WiFi No Fly? really?? sheesh... maybe I am too old.. never mind
strickerj likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by jeet
No WiFi No Fly? really?? sheesh... maybe I am too old.. never mind

There’s a large contingent of the traveling public that won’t. Particularly business travelers.

DL being one of the first to commit to GoGo on 70 seat+ regional jets was a contributing factor to my move to the airline after the collapse of Continental with the United customer-last work ethic.

Old May 7, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Ysitincoach

There’s a large contingent of the traveling public that won’t. Particularly business travelers.

DL being one of the first to commit to GoGo on 70 seat+ regional jets was a contributing factor to my move to the airline after the collapse of Continental with the United customer-last work ethic.

That confirms it. I am too old.
I consider myself a business traveler - been doing mon-thur grind for number of years.
Last thing I want on a flight is any sort of connectivity with creatures 30,000 ft below
strickerj likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets

As a DM, I reached Chisholm on my last call, about ten days ago. The guy was up to date on being able to preorder meals by phone, although he said it was the first time he had done it for a passenger. He also knew the rules about SDC for FC tickets and going from nonstop to a connection. It was a pleasure to give him a 5 rating.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

Hell, my first flight JAN-CVG back in 1993 had a full hot breakfast. (And JAN-ATL, which is about the same distance as MEM-ATL, would have too had it not been canceled due to snow in Atlanta.)

Just to play devil's advocate, I'm pretty sure that those MD-88s didn't have access to the internet or complimentary in-flight entertainment (via WiFi streaming) back in 1999. I'm also pretty sure that you didn't have a super convenient application on your phone that would allow you to rebook flights, receive real-time flight status notifications, track your bags (if you check them), or avoid a stop by the check-in counter to get a boarding pass.

Of course, the competitive environment changes over time. The things I listed above are now just an expectation - I won't fly a carrier without WiFi for example. That said, minus the security and plane densification, travel is significantly easier and more convenient than ever before.
Meh, I can’t remember the last time I was on a flight that didn’t offer WiFi, and I’ve never used it - I’m not paying $50 an hour for dial-up speed. My Facebook arguments can wait a couple hours.

Sure, as technology advances, the services enabled by technology will improve - WiFi on board, mobile check-in, baggage tracking, etc. But that doesn’t mean other services haven’t deteriorated in the interest of cost cutting.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hey I remember a time when DL did a domestic coach hot breakfast consisting of a small waffle, and a (small) ham steak with a half peach on top of it. The peach was canned but it was still good (and it was heated).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.