Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is this Correct?_500,000 miles one way biz class USA to London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2019, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Id not used my Delta miles in a few years and used 120,000 to go coach r/t to London. Wanted to buy upgrade to biz class. Was told by two different agents, 495,000 miles.

based on this we’re going to cancel our two air miles credit cards and just find the best non air miles deal. Am I missing something or did I make a mistake? Thanks
Old May 3, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
No, this is correct. Delta typically has high DeltaOne redemption rates unless you are highly flexible.

If you are flexible you may be able to find rates closer to the "unofficial" saver rates (roughly 82.5K one way for TATL I think?). But those have advanced purchase requirements, round trip requirements, and often only occur on very low demand dates (mid-week departures, etc). You'll be hard pressed to find these rates on - for example - Sunday/Friday/Monday night TATL flights.

Delta also occasionally has Flash Sales that offer good value for D1 redemptions (usually once or twice a year). I had to cancel it, but I was actually able to snag 2 round trip D1 tickets for something like 100K miles each - which is a great, great value - nonstop from Atlanta on an A330.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
They must be having a sale.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Could be. Cheapest business class redemptions can require a round-trip.
Old May 3, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Buddy6713
Id not used my Delta miles in a few years and used 120,000 to go coach r/t to London. Wanted to buy upgrade to biz class. Was told by two different agents, 495,000 miles.

based on this we’re going to cancel our two air miles credit cards and just find the best non air miles deal. Am I missing something or did I make a mistake? Thanks
Upgrade as in you have already purchased a revenue ticket or an award ticket? Only certain revenue fare classes are eligible for mileage award upgrades (K or higher). The levels will be different depending on whether you have a YBM fare or an HQK fare. Although that price does not sound right for a mileage upgrade award for a K+ revenue fare. If you have less than a K fare, it's possible they are simply quoting the fare diff between your original fare and business in the form of miles at 1 CPM.

Would be helpful if you could clarify on what you mean by "upgrade". There are currently mileage awards (not upgrades) for D1 flights available for 176K miles roundtrip from select cities for the summer (6/30 - 9/6). These awards have a 60-day advance purchase requirement. They also have a roundtrip and Saturday night stay booking requirement (can't be booked as one-ways). The cheapest one-way awards are 105K miles -- although these have a 90-day advance purchase requirement. The highest award levels are 320K one-way. No real way to combine these with an existing revenue fare (you could just cancel the revenue fare and take a credit for future travel with remaining value).

Last edited by xliioper; May 3, 2019 at 10:38 am
Old May 3, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
aka skypesos
Old May 3, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
OP, if you are serious about asking for help, can you just provide the aprox travel ITN you are looking at?

I can fly RT to Asia up front for under 200K miles. But if you ask for a very specific ticket it might get absurd as you see.

The truth is using DL miles has become a game. If you do not know how to play, you are the one being played.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a known that the current highest level from US-LHR is 320K one-way as it has a CSY3200 fare basis code. Since it's a 'Y' class award (the third letter in the basis code), there aren't any higher levels. The only way you could potentially produce something higher is through a broken-fare construction. So this is sounding like an upgrade based on cash price difference or FCM price at 1CPM.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's a known that the current highest level from US-LHR is 320K one-way as it has a CSY3200 fare basis code. Since it's a 'Y' class award (the third letter in the basis code), there aren't any higher levels. The only way you could potentially produce something higher is through a broken-fare construction. So this is sounding an upgrade based on cash price difference or FCM price at 1CPM.
OP said round-trip. Assuming OP's numbers are exact and the "upfare" from the 120K Y ticket, it sounds like one leg is CSY3200 and the other must be one rung lower (2950 if it exists).
Old May 3, 2019, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ethernal
OP said round-trip. Assuming OP's numbers are exact and the "upfare" from the 120K Y ticket, it sounds like one leg is CSY3200 and the other must be one rung lower (2950 if it exists).
The thread title says "500,000 miles one way biz class", so I was assuming the 490K price is one way, but could be wrong. More details needed. The 120K Y ticket was from a few years ago.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
My experience (maybe a rule of thumb?) is that business class on Delta1 values a skymile at around $0.01 to $0.013. That is not to say there aren't deals but depending on your departure airport and all the other requirements mentioned above. The round trip, advance purchase, Saturday night stay rules are the same as cash tickets and Delta is trying to push Skymiles as currency.

So yeah, if you want to stay with Delta, going for a 1.5% or better cash back credit card and buying your D1 fares might be easier. Plus you earn medallion status and points on those cash fares. With flexibility though comes options like awards via other airlines and Amex or Chase reward points.
Duke787 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Definitely need a few more details. I just booked two tickets ATL-AMS-ATL in J for 150k each.

Good redemptions are still out there, but they do require some flexibility and meeting the fare restrictions (RT, minimum stay, etc.)
Old May 3, 2019, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just based on seeing the thread title at this time, I knew this had to be about DL SkyMiles, a true leader of customer-unfriendliness in the airline loyalty program game.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just based on seeing the thread title at this time, I knew this had to be about DL SkyMiles, a true leader of customer-unfriendliness in the airline loyalty program game.
Hey, GUW, in the past, wasn't there something about . . . . .

GUWonder likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by ethernal
.... you may be able to find rates closer to the "unofficial" saver rates (roughly 82.5K one way for TATL I think?)
This is valuable info...is someone building & maintaining a new unofficial quasi-redemption chart in a thread somewhere?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.