Wiki Posts
Search

MQM earning question

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
MQM earning question

I'm booking a flight Chicago to Calgary from 6/22-7/1. Flights are ridiculously expensive ($750-1000) for economy I think because it's a Canadian holiday. I found a cheaper flight through Westjet that is actually operated by Delta. My question is will I earn reduced MQM since I'm purchasing though westjet. The online chart says economy (M) earns 50% MQM on westjet. But since the flight is actually Delta metal would I still receive the reduced MQM?

Also would I be eligible for same day standby?
Old May 2, 2019, 1:36 pm

I have done this many times. When I buy from DL on 006 ticket stock I get 100% MQMs. When I buy on Westjet ticket stock from Westjet website I get 50% MQMs. With Westjet there is no flexibility with the ticket you need to fly those exact flights or change your ticket with westjet. With DL you can change the DL flight but not the Westjet flight if you had an onward connection within Canada. I always buy whatever is cheapest.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kuhlguy
I'm booking a flight Chicago to Calgary from 6/22-7/1. Flights are ridiculously expensive ($750-1000) for economy I think because it's a Canadian holiday. I found a cheaper flight through Westjet that is actually operated by Delta. My question is will I earn reduced MQM since I'm purchasing though westjet. The online chart says economy (M) earns 50% MQM on westjet. But since the flight is actually Delta metal would I still receive the reduced MQM?

Also would I be eligible for same day standby?
All that matters is the marketing carrier. If you book it with a WS flight number, it will earn based on the WS chart even if DL operated.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
How about doing same day confirmed? Am I able to do that still?
Old May 2, 2019, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by kuhlguy
How about doing same day confirmed? Am I able to do that still?
Yes on DL metal and if you book with DL on 006 stock. No if the flight is on Westjet metal or you bought the ticket from Westjet.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty sure it requires a DL marketed/operated flight (how would original booking class inventory work with a WS marketed flight?). Also, not eligible for upgrades other than day of departure.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have done this many times. When I buy from DL on 006 ticket stock I get 100% MQMs. When I buy on Westjet ticket stock from Westjet website I get 50% MQMs. With Westjet there is no flexibility with the ticket you need to fly those exact flights or change your ticket with westjet. With DL you can change the DL flight but not the Westjet flight if you had an onward connection within Canada. I always buy whatever is cheapest.
Are you sure the difference here was not marketed carrier? That is what is supposed to determine earnings, not ticket stock.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Are you sure the difference here was not marketed carrier? That is what is supposed to determine earnings, not ticket stock.
When I buy the ticket from DL I get full PM privileges and MQMs. When I buy the ticket from Westjet I get 50% MQMs and virtually no PM privileges.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

When I buy the ticket from DL I get full PM privileges and MQMs. When I buy the ticket from Westjet I get 50% MQMs and virtually no PM privileges.
The point is, it's possible to buy a ticket from DL (006) with other marketing carriers than DL on the flights. Even though ticketed by DL, these will earn according to the partner charts (even if operated by DL). If you just use the DL website fare search, it won't show you such options. But you can use tools like BookWithMatrix to bring up those flights for purchase on Delta's website and end up with an 006 ticket with partner marketed flights on it. This is why you need to be careful about making statements about earning with flights on 006 ticket stock. It's not ticketing stock that dictates the earning rates, it's the marketing carriers.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by xliioper
The point is, it's possible to buy a ticket from DL (006) with other marketing carriers than DL on the flights. Even though ticketed by DL, these will earn according to the partner charts (even if operated by DL). If you just use the DL website fare search, it won't show you such options. But you can use tools like BookWithMatrix to bring up those flights for purchase on Delta's website and end up with an 006 ticket with partner marketed flights on it. This is why you need to be careful about making statements about earning with flights on 006 ticket stock. It's not ticketing stock that dictates the earning rates, it's the marketing carriers.
Exactly.
This happened to me on my first RT to Vietnam in 2017. Bought ticket on DL.com, didn't notice the VN flight number from SGN to NRT. Ended up with no miles for that leg.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wxman22
Exactly.
This happened to me on my first RT to Vietnam in 2017. Bought ticket on DL.com, didn't notice the VN flight number from SGN to NRT. Ended up with no miles for that leg.
VN is part of Skyteam, thus earns miles. It should earn something unless operated by OAL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.