Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency/us/en/products-and-services/other-programs-services/basic-economy.html
  • Medallion Members, others with elite status, and Delta SkyMiles American Express credit card holders continue to enjoy their boarding benefits
  • Medallion Members will continue to enjoy waived checked baggage fees, Priority Check-in, Priority Boarding and Medallion mileage bonuses. However, please note Medallion Members will not receive paid or Complimentary Upgrades when flying on a Basic Economy fare.

For those with Skymiles Select (new sales currently discontinued due to COVID):

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/skymiles-select

Q. Does Main Cabin 1 Boarding purchased through SkyMiles Select apply to tickets purchased in Basic Economy?

A. Yes, you will receive Main Cabin 1 Boarding on tickets purchased in Basic Economy.
Print Wikipost

How terrible is Basic Economy? Seat Assignments/Boarding/Etc (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by defrosted
Curious, is there some pecking order for assignment of BE seats?

Like would a GA, if two open seats, middle and aisle, give the aisle to the DM?

Sorry if this has been covered in some other thread, but related to OP's question would a DM on a BE fare have a better chance than non status on the same fare?
i honestly think it is somewhat gate agent and time dependent. So you are rolling the dice. I know people who have had great seat assignments as soon as they check in to people that have gotten horrible assignments at the gate after the plane as boarded. My sense is some gate agents might try to assign a better seat to a diamond but others don’t have time or just want to get the plane boarded. In the end it is a gamble and each person needs to decide the worth of being in control of their seat assignment
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:02 pm

I did an international trip in BE as then Platinum in Fall last year and was able to select a good seat at mobile check-in (aisle seat with nobody next to me in the middle block for uninterrupted sleep TATL) and asked at the lounge before my outbound for a seat assignment for the return flight. The lounge attendant was happy to reserve me an exit row window seat. So for me BE made no difference as those would have been seats I would have selected anyway.

Last edited by Moootz; Apr 30, 2019 at 2:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
Curious, is there some pecking order for assignment of BE seats?

Like would a GA, if two open seats, middle and aisle, give the aisle to the DM?

Sorry if this has been covered in some other thread, but related to OP's question would a DM on a BE fare have a better chance than non status on the same fare?
nope. Status doesn't matter.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I still remember how naive so many people were in the DL forum when DL rolled out these BE fares "to compete with LCCs"...here we are in 2019 and they are available for nearly every advance purchase itinerary with no LCC in sight. Even on international routes...for the old "pre-BE" pricing.
Quinlanty, hi55us and btonkid12345 like this.

Last edited by pgh234; Apr 30, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgh234
I still remember how naive so many people were in the DL forum when DL rolled out these BE fares "to compete with LCCs"...here we are in 2019 and they are available for nearly every advance purchase itinerary with no LCC in sight. Even on international routes...for the old "pre-BE" pricing.

I still remember people who said that when DL went fare-based mileage earning, they would never fly DL again. And, yet, here they are still flying DL.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
I still remember people who said that when DL went fare-based mileage earning, they would never fly DL again. And, yet, here they are still flying DL.
Personally, I fly DL quite a bit less than I used to. Many routes I fly can connect on DL for a BE fare...or fly WN non-stop for the same price. The choice is clear. Before BE fares (and award chart elimination, SkyPeso devaluation, and FCM) when you earned based on (200% for GM+) mileage, I would connect on DL 100% of the time. No...I am certainly not a high value customer.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Don't Buy Basic Economy!

Originally Posted by kamadzu4
Seeing some attractive fares and wondering what I would lose as a Diamond if I book an international ticket in basic economy. My understanding is the main drawback is no complimentary upgrades, but since this is international woudln't matter anyway. Having said that, how would seat selection work - at booking or at check-in? Insta-"upgrade" to comfort plus, or only at check-in if seats remaining? Same MQMs? Same lounge access - i.e. Virgin Clubhouse/Arrivals at LHR? Eligible for global upgrades certs?
The big disadvantage is seat selection. For example, there are exactly six decent economy seats on an A350. Pick a BE fare, and I promise you they will be gone by the time you arrive at the gate to beg the agent for a "good" seat. The international 767's are 2-4-2 in coach. Pick a BE fare, and you will be in the middle four.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by pgh234
Quite possibly naive of me as I really started flying and paying attention to fares "post-BE," but were they really offering sub-$300 TATL in main cabin in pre-BE times? Honestly just curious as my flying time has mostly been in the BE era.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
The big disadvantage is seat selection. For example, there are exactly six decent economy seats on an A350. Pick a BE fare, and I promise you they will be gone by the time you arrive at the gate to beg the agent for a "good" seat. The international 767's are 2-4-2 in coach. Pick a BE fare, and you will be in the middle four.
767 is 2-3-2, Probability of middle 3 is high with BE, still a low chance of middle seat compared to other configurations.
767 with it's 2-3-2 is best configuration available in any long haul aircraft (Y class)

PS. I never book BE just had to correct the 767 seating
ryw likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Quite possibly naive of me as I really started flying and paying attention to fares "post-BE," but were they really offering sub-$300 TATL in main cabin in pre-BE times? Honestly just curious as my flying time has mostly been in the BE era.
I have paid $250-$600 RT for every TATL flight I have ever taken. Most from WAS and a few from PIT in the 2011-2017 era. $250 RT to WAW and $400 RT to IST (twice) were my favorite.
btonkid12345 and JoelThomas like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Back to original post, other than simply buying the ticket for whatever reason drew you to your destination, I see little other reason to expect anything more than transportation with a BE fare. If you’re fine with that, go for it. I don’t like having to wait for a GA to assign my seat, or in case of a very overbooked flight, risk being one of the first to be IDB if not enough people give up their seats.
Mr. Tickets likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keith2004
767 is 2-3-2, Probability of middle 3 is high with BE, still a low chance of middle seat compared to other configurations.
767 with it's 2-3-2 is best configuration available in any long haul aircraft (Y class)

PS. I never book BE just had to correct the 767 seating
Agreed, though a middle seat in a 767 is probably one of the "best" middle seats you could be stuck with (I suppose the center section of a 350 or 9-abreast 777 is fine too, but the only middle seat on the 767 is the center section one.) Both your neighbors have aisles, and you have two escape routes so you can alternate who you annoy.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
Back to original post, other than simply buying the ticket for whatever reason drew you to your destination, I see little other reason to expect anything more than transportation with a BE fare. If you’re fine with that, go for it. I don’t like having to wait for a GA to assign my seat, or in case of a very overbooked flight, risk being one of the first to be IDB if not enough people give up their seats.
Elites (at least Diamonds) are exempt from IDB per DL policy.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Elites (at least Diamonds) are exempt from IDB per DL policy.
I don’t think exempt is the right word, from the terms I got from a voluntary denied boarding it just says GM+ have priority over non-elites. Might be basically the same in practice.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dlflyer00

I don’t think exempt is the right word, from the terms I got from a voluntary denied boarding it just says GM+ have priority over non-elites. Might be basically the same in practice.
They may have changed it, or it was being used incorrectly. Either way as you say, in practice it means the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.