Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A220 dfw-lga-dfw & fear of flying

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

A220 dfw-lga-dfw & fear of flying

Delta used to be my main airline when I lived in NYC and even after I moved to Dallas 25 years ago but as I mostly fly to FL & SEA where family is we migrated to AA. No longer fly much for work and am also a fearful flyer particularly when I have to fly without my husband or a friend. I have never flown regional or small jets.

We need to fly to LGA this summer for a wedding and the Delta fares are way less expensive than AA (F is about half) and I would appreciate any insight into the "feel" of flying on this new aircraft vs a 321 or 738.

The take-off is what usually freaks me out and I am ok in the air if not terribly turbulent which will happen regardless of aircraft but somehow I feel more secure on a larger plane (if if there is nothing factual to back this up).

We are no longer loyal to AA unless they are only carrier who flies non-stop as we don't have status anymore and see no reason to pay for it for the few times a year we fly.

I wish Delta flew non-stop to FLL or PBI which is where I travel most often to visit my 89 year is mom in assisted living.

So open to trying new aircraft and wondering if there are any other fliers with fear and anxiety who can assist me with their perspective.

Please be kind.

Thank you.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
You might be glad to know that the A220 features "turbulence avoidance technology." I don't know what that actually is, but seems like that could be a good thing for you?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-del...voidance-tech/

Also, apparently DL has less turbulence than other airlines:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/this-i...delta-flights/

As for takeoff, I don't imagine it will feel any different at all. This a/c will feel more spacious, which I see as a plus.

Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have flown the A220 twice (the other way LGA - DFW - LGA) and both were very smooth, easy flights. They have big TV screens in both Y and F which can help keep your mind off anything happening outside. They are also quite open with the newer style Airbus bins and layout (it is virtually identical to the A321 except smaller)
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you - I had no idea!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wouldn't call the A220 a small plane, if you are thinking of it like a regional jets. The CRJs (-200/-700/-900) are the small ones. As others said this is really just like a shorter 321.

As for turbulence, that is really going to depend on the weather out of DFW and into LGA. I typically find that LGA even with wind isn't bad for turbulence, but sometimes DFW can be choppy. Pilots and air traffic control will actively route around storms and turbulent areas.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I am going to do our tickets now!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

We have to fly to Boston in mid=September but there aren't any non-stop flights. Flights work with an hour layover in Detroit. Is this doable? Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by balthus
We have to fly to Boston in mid=September but there aren't any non-stop flights. Flights work with an hour layover in Detroit. Is this doable? Thanks.
An hour is fine in DTW.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
To add another reassuring voice, the A220 is arguably the most comfortable airplane in the skies right now. Delta has put it on its most competitive routes where they want to poach passengers from other airlines, which should tell you a bit about the experience onboard. It has brand new entertainment systems, a 2-3 seating arrangement that helps you get a row to yourself no matter what your family size is, and oversized and comfortable lavatories. If you’re familiar with other airplane types from history, it’s probably closest in size to the old DC-9, a reliable workhorse that you may have been on in the past.

I’d expect a quieter than usual takeoff and flight experience. Nobody can guarantee a smooth ride, but the aircraft won’t be a factor here - it should be just as stable as any other airplane you’ll encounter within the domestic US.

You may find it helpful to visit turbulenceforecast.com before your flight - on this site, current areas of known bumpiness are displayed. Rest assured your pilots will have access to this (and even better) data, and will be planning a safe course around as much bumpiness as possible - but knowing that it might be coming can be hugely reassuring because it doesn’t come as a surprise, at least for the nervous fliers I know personally.
jinglish likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I think I have every flight app possible on my phone & I already use turbulenceforecast.com! I booked our flights to LGA for my niece's wedding in August. Need to think about the 1 stop flight to Boston though. Doesn't look like Delta flies too many non-stops from DFW like they did years ago when we moved here and it was a hub. Much appreciated.

Last edited by balthus; Apr 26, 2019 at 2:50 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by BenA
Nobody can guarantee a smooth ride, but the aircraft won’t be a factor here - it should be just as stable as any other airplane you’ll encounter within the domestic US.

Apparently it should be more stable with some type of new technology to avoid turbulence, see my post above.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:25 pm

My SO is also a fearful flyer. We always fly in the mornings in the summer months to avoid afternoon thunderstorms. No guaranty obviously but morning travel might make you more comfortable, especially between NYC and DFW.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I always try to get first flight out of DFW to avoid delays and storms but if it's just a weekend trip hard to do unless I can stay over and head straight to the office which occasionally when I return from FL I will do.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Apparently it should be more stable with some type of new technology to avoid turbulence, see my post above.
This is simply Delta’s customized turbulence avoidance software system being highlighted as part of the A220 introduction. It’s innovative, but present on all Delta aircraft.

http://news.delta.com/groundbreaking-app-helps-delta-pilots-avoid-turbulence
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by BenA

This is simply Delta’s customized turbulence avoidance software system being highlighted as part of the A220 introduction. It’s innovative, but present on all Delta aircraft.

http://news.delta.com/groundbreaking...oid-turbulence
oh good to know, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.