Delta to WestJet connection in Toronto

Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Delta to WestJet connection in Toronto

I don't think this has been covered before, judging from a search. Has anyone connected from Delta to WestJet in Toronto (YYZ)? Obviously, I have to clear Canadian border control. I presume I have to retrieve my luggage and re-check it with WestJet. So, maybe 90 minutes minimum connection time, right?

I know despite the Delta–WestJet partnership you still don't earn full Sky Miles. What's the latest on other ancillary benefits, such as seats and upgrades to WestJet's up-front premium-economy seats?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:13 am

I have done this many times. Air Canada allows seamless travel via YYZ whereby your bags transfer automatically and you can bypass CDN Customs if you are immediately flying out of Canada in T1. DL and Westjet use T3 at YYZ and you must pick up your luggage and recheck. If you are doing this frequently you must get a Nexus card which is like GE and works in both directions and also counts for TSA Precheck at YYZ. Westjet still does not recognize DL elite status for waived luggage fees, upgrades or seat assignments. In my flying I have only gotten 50% MQMs on Westjet when the ticket is on Westjet stock but 100% MQMs when on 006 DL stock.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I have done this many times. Air Canada allows seamless travel via YYZ whereby your bags transfer automatically and you can bypass CDN Customs if you are immediately flying out of Canada in T1.

I think it is a safe assumption that it is a domestic connection, which requires clearing Canadian Customs no matter the carrier. That said, T3 can get dicey and take a while. I have flown through in a matter of moments, and spent a good 30-40 minutes when I arrived behind China Eastern and Saudia (which no longer serves YYZ). I would say 90 would be the MINIMUM with which I would be comfortable.

I have had Westjet waive fees, but never assign their Plus/Premium seating as a DM.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I have done this many times. Air Canada allows seamless travel via YYZ whereby your bags transfer automatically and you can bypass CDN Customs if you are immediately flying out of Canada in T1. DL and Westjet use T3 at YYZ and you must pick up your luggage and recheck. If you are doing this frequently you must get a Nexus card which is like GE and works in both directions and also counts for TSA Precheck at YYZ. Westjet still does not recognize DL elite status for waived luggage fees, upgrades or seat assignments. In my flying I have only gotten 50% MQMs on Westjet when the ticket is on Westjet stock but 100% MQMs when on 006 DL stock.
So if I book a ticket on the Delta website, that's on 006 stock, and it includes a Westjet segment, then my bags fly free on the Delta flight to YYZ, but I still have to pay baggage fees to Westjet when I recheck my luggage during the layover in YYZ?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that in order to earn 100% MQM's, the flight must be actually DL marketed, not simply a ticket on 006 stock. It is possible to book WS marketed flights on 006 stock.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
So if I book a ticket on the Delta website, that's on 006 stock, and it includes a Westjet segment, then my bags fly free on the Delta flight to YYZ, but I still have to pay baggage fees to Westjet when I recheck my luggage during the layover in YYZ?
I have the same question but for the reverse situation when flying home. I check-in for the first segment on WestJet connecting to a Delta flight.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
I have had Westjet waive fees, but never assign their Plus/Premium seating as a DM.
I'd be flying Toronto to Halifax (and vice versa). I can't imagine it's worth paying more than $50 for the up-front seating, whatever WestJet calls it? It's not like a meal is served.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:43 am

Westjet typically ignores DL status but YMMV. Once i got upgraded at the ticket counter for free as the space was wide open and I was polite. Also a very big difference for unaccompanied minors UM. Westjet is age 12. But DL is age 15 to save the $150 fee.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well, we will have to see what happens. I put together my flights with ITA Matrix and then used Book with Matrix to purchase through Delta.com. Every segment has a Delta flight number and the ticket is 006.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
WS will waive bag fees for DL elites at checkin. It's the only thing they will do.

As for OP.

Once through immigration, you'll pickup bags. Take through customs and drop at WS bag recheck belt (follow hall past customs officer to the left instead of right to exit door). Bags will already be tagged through by DL they just can't transfer automatically. No additional fees.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
WS will waive bag fees for DL elites at checkin. It's the only thing they will do.

As for OP.

Once through immigration, you'll pickup bags. Take through customs and drop at WS bag recheck belt (follow hall past customs officer to the left instead of right to exit door). Bags will already be tagged through by DL they just can't transfer automatically. No additional fees.
Thanks.

It's kind of crappy that Delta and WestJet haven't finely tuned the benefits, as Delta has done with Aeromxico.

For the sake of discussion, is there actually a policy that WestJet waives bag fees? I ask because on the return when I check-in for the first segment, operated by WestJet, I don't want to get into a fight at 5 a.m. at an airport terminal counter with an agent.

I'll have to call WestJet and Delta to ask if there's a paid upgrade. I would be willing to pay $30 or something for the extra-legroom seats on WestJet.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL and WS are still waiting on their ATI application to be approved. The deal with AM has already gone through. It is what it is. These things take time. The KE joint venture also took a long time for approval.
defrosted likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Very helpful information in this thread.

A side note on customs, as eluded to already. Entering Canada customs can be ok, but my experience US preclearance customs in Toronto can be a terribly long wait. I only speak from missed connections (even on the same carrier).

If there was a routing that avoids Toronto completely I would jump on that, even if the cost was slightly more.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
Very helpful information in this thread.

A side note on customs, as eluded to already. Entering Canada customs can be ok, but my experience US preclearance customs in Toronto can be a terribly long wait. I only speak from missed connections (even on the same carrier).

If there was a routing that avoids Toronto completely I would jump on that, even if the cost was slightly more.
Getting a Nexus card avoids this uncertainty. Its $50 for 5 years and priceless for even occasional travelers to Canada. It is valid in both directions for Customs and acts as a TSA Precheck when departing Canada. So it saves 3 potentially long lines on every round trip from the US to Canada.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper
DL and WS are still waiting on their ATI application to be approved. The deal with AM has already gone through. It is what it is. These things take time. The KE joint venture also took a long time for approval.
But it doesn't take a joint-venture agreement to have reciprocal frequent flyer benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.