Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to WestJet connection in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Cory6188
I connected DL to WS back in February, heading LGA-YYZ-YYC. YYZ had minimal lines at immigration - maybe 5 mins, tops - and checked bags automatically transfer, as noted above (the GA came on board and announced that, and there were signs all over confirming it in the terminal). What's a little confusing is that you end up landside after immigration along with everyone else and you take the escalator/elevator back upstairs and enter domestic departures via security along with everyone off the street. I wasn't sure if it'd missed a specific connection hallway along the way - so just bear in mind that that's how it works. The security line had nobody in it, but obviously that's a wild card.

Nothing really to report beyond that - pretty straightforward.
You are correct for T3 with DL/WS. Others who connect from UA to AC in T1 at YYZ will have a connection option.
ND76 likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by Cory6188
Nothing really to report beyond that - pretty straightforward.
It's always a bit of a hassle because you end up having to go landside again but it's not bad. When going through Canadian CBP, if you just say transit and the next flight you're on, they let you through no questions asked and you just need to follow the purple arrows.
Old May 29, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by physicsdude
It's always a bit of a hassle because you end up having to go landside again but it's not bad. When going through Canadian CBP, if you just say transit and the next flight you're on, they let you through no questions asked and you just need to follow the purple arrows.
There is no transit anymore though for DL-WS at YYZ. WestJet moved all international flights to Calgary.
Old May 29, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
There is no transit anymore though for DL-WS at YYZ. WestJet moved all international flights to Calgary.
The first sentence is incorrect. One certainly can still connect DL-WS at YYZ, from a DL US-CA flight to a WS CA-CA flight or a CA-International flight.

The second sentence is also incorrect. Westjet continues to fly to several international destinations from YYZ (throughout the US, Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America).

If your point is that WS eliminated transatlantic flying from YYZ, that would be correct. But one can still buy a ticket for a US-International flight with a WS connection in YYZ (though the fare itself is usually a combination of say, DTW-YTO and YTO-PUJ)

Last edited by Adam1222; May 29, 2023 at 9:31 am
Old May 29, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
The first sentence is incorrect. One certainly can still connect DL-WS at YYZ, from a DL US-CA flight to a WS CA-CA flight or a CA-International flight.

The second sentence is also incorrect. Westjet continues to fly to several international destinations from YYZ (throughout the US, Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America).

If your point is that WS eliminated transatlantic flying from YYZ, that would be correct. But one can still buy a ticket for a US-International flight with a WS connection in YYZ (though the fare itself is usually a combination of say, DTW-YTO and YTO-PUJ)
No one is going to transit from the US to Canada to get to Mexico or the Caribbean. I doubt either WestJet or Delta would even sell a ticket for that. The topic was transiting through YYZ at T3 from international to international. That effectively is no longer a thing.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Had a ticket that was LGA-YYZ-YVR with DL and WS from two months back and they still sell this. WS has flights to the US and Caribbean from YYZ which are considered international flights if I'm not mistaken.

If it helps, my original comment was just talking about how one usually connects flights coming from the US at YYZ T3 and how I feel about the connection. I frequently transit through T3 as I do US-YYZ-AMS a lot with DL and KL as I usually have to hand documents to our partners in Toronto.
Old May 29, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No one is going to transit from the US to Canada to get to Mexico or the Caribbean. I doubt either WestJet or Delta would even sell a ticket for that. The topic was transiting through YYZ at T3 from international to international. That effectively is no longer a thing.
No the topic is connecting to a domestic Canadian flight. Regardless T3 transfer is the same, regardless of if connecting to domestic or international from US.

Poster would be flying CLE-ATL-YYZ-YYT. (ST JOHNS)
Adam1222 and physicsdude like this.
Old May 29, 2023, 11:34 am

As others have noted, you remain wrong.
The OP was:
Delta is offering a 80 minute connection to a domestic WS flight that is the only flight of the day. Seems really dicey and also the only option they're selling.
In response, you made two false statements. WS does have international flights from Toronto, and DL-WS connections remain possible. You can just admit you made a mistake!
hhdl likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I went ahead and booked the ticket, as I thought that $296.40 was a fair price for such a destination (flightaware.com reports that YYT is 1,321 miles from YYZ and the flight was 2 hours 43 minutes wheels up to touch down).

Delta's website was reporting the following as of 0730 on 5/30/23 about the benefits that Delta status provides on Westjet:Beginning on March 18, 2021, Medallion Members can expect to experience elite benefits when flying on WestJet when you are ready to travel again.

Now, when traveling on WestJet, you will experience the below elevated benefits, based on your Medallion Status:
  • Medallion Baggage Allowance, Lounge Access1, Priority Boarding2, Priority Check-In, Preferred Seats3, Priority Bag Drop, Priority Baggage Handling, Priority Security4 and Priority Transfer Desk.
See a comprehensive list of WestJet’s reciprocal elite benefits here.

Nothing is more important to Delta and our partner airlines across the globe than the health of our customers and employees. That’s why through the Delta CareStandard and WestJet’s Safety Above All, opens in a new window, a range of measures have been implemented to deliver you a safe and clean experience.

Delta and WestJet advise Members to check the entry requirements of their final destination prior to travel. WestJet is also providing up-to-date entrance requirements, safety enhancements and testing information on its COVID-19 page, opens in a new window.

Learn more about what to expect when traveling with our partners or learn more about our partnership with WestJet.

1Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members, along with one additional guest accompanying the member and taking the same flight, will have access to the WestJet Elevation Lounge at Calgary International Airport (YYC) with a confirmed boarding pass for a same-day transborder or international itinerary that includes a segment between U.S. and Canada operated by Delta and/or WestJet or any of their respective affiliates (excluding Swoop) or contract carriers. Not applicable at partner or third-party lounges, nor when traveling on a wholly domestic reservation within Canada.
2Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members will board in WestJet’s Zone 1 group. Silver Medallion Members will board in WestJet’s Zone 2 group.
3When flying on WestJet, only Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members will have complimentary seat access, including Preferred Seats. Not applicable on Basic Economy fares. Available to the Member and up to 8 customers on the same reservation; not valid for companions when travelling on a group booking.
4Available at airports where service is available.

Clicking the link, Delta indicates that my benefits include priority security, priority boarding and "preferred seats" as well as lounge access. Is there in fact priority access to CATSA in YYZ; does Westjet maintain a lounge in YYZ; and were you able to get a preferred coach seat, an exit row seat or even an upgrade to their premier cabin?

Thanks for the help with this.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
I went ahead and booked the ticket, as I thought that $296.40 was a fair price for such a destination (flightaware.com reports that YYT is 1,321 miles from YYZ and the flight was 2 hours 43 minutes wheels up to touch down).

Delta's website was reporting the following as of 0730 on 5/30/23 about the benefits that Delta status provides on Westjet:Beginning on March 18, 2021, Medallion Members can expect to experience elite benefits when flying on WestJet when you are ready to travel again.

Now, when traveling on WestJet, you will experience the below elevated benefits, based on your Medallion Status:
  • Medallion Baggage Allowance, Lounge Access1, Priority Boarding2, Priority Check-In, Preferred Seats3, Priority Bag Drop, Priority Baggage Handling, Priority Security4 and Priority Transfer Desk.
See a comprehensive list of WestJet’s reciprocal elite benefits here.

Nothing is more important to Delta and our partner airlines across the globe than the health of our customers and employees. That’s why through the Delta CareStandard and WestJet’s Safety Above All, opens in a new window, a range of measures have been implemented to deliver you a safe and clean experience.

Delta and WestJet advise Members to check the entry requirements of their final destination prior to travel. WestJet is also providing up-to-date entrance requirements, safety enhancements and testing information on its COVID-19 page, opens in a new window.

Learn more about what to expect when traveling with our partners or learn more about our partnership with WestJet.

1Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members, along with one additional guest accompanying the member and taking the same flight, will have access to the WestJet Elevation Lounge at Calgary International Airport (YYC) with a confirmed boarding pass for a same-day transborder or international itinerary that includes a segment between U.S. and Canada operated by Delta and/or WestJet or any of their respective affiliates (excluding Swoop) or contract carriers. Not applicable at partner or third-party lounges, nor when traveling on a wholly domestic reservation within Canada.
2Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members will board in WestJet’s Zone 1 group. Silver Medallion Members will board in WestJet’s Zone 2 group.
3When flying on WestJet, only Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members will have complimentary seat access, including Preferred Seats. Not applicable on Basic Economy fares. Available to the Member and up to 8 customers on the same reservation; not valid for companions when travelling on a group booking.
4Available at airports where service is available.

Clicking the link, Delta indicates that my benefits include priority security, priority boarding and "preferred seats" as well as lounge access. Is there in fact priority access to CATSA in YYZ; does Westjet maintain a lounge in YYZ; and were you able to get a preferred coach seat, an exit row seat or even an upgrade to their premier cabin?

WS has no lounges at YYZ, only YYC.

Yes you can get preferred coach seats. You don't get access to Premium unless pay for it. Basically if plane has Euro J type (coach with middle blocked) seating up front you can be seated in it, but if it has US style First Class seats, you must pay to upgrade.

You can use the "business/priority" class security lane. You can't use the Trusted Traveler lane unless you belong to Nexus or GE AND have your membership card.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriot TE, Delta DM, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The partnership is still wonky, sometimes I have to call Delta or WJ to get certain things like seats or if I have any questions, and sometimes it works natively.

The connection going landside thoroughly confused me the first time I did it, going DTW-YYZ-YYC. The escalators looked almost blocked off until I realized it was still operational. Generally try to avoid YYZ as much as possible these days, although it looks like the post June 11 schedule this will be impossible, since Delta's MSP-YYC flight is either super early or super late in the evening now. Not a fan at all of basically being forced to fly more WestJet than I care for, especially with United flights that are much more convenient and don't involve 3+ hours layovers.
Old May 30, 2023, 6:11 am

I

There are several existing threads addressing reciprocal benefits, answering these and other questions.
You can start here WestJet and Delta launch reciprocal benefits for top-tier elite members

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2076130-delta-pm-access-lounge-yyz-toronto.html
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
A postscript to this: I called Delta and got my reservation code on Westjet. I then went in to the Westjet website and was able to select for free an extra legroom seat in the second row of coach (the flight is a 737-700 and has three rows of "premier" class seating. I'm going to see if there is an upgrade possibility on this flight later this summer.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
A postscript to this: I called Delta and got my reservation code on Westjet. I then went in to the Westjet website and was able to select for free an extra legroom seat in the second row of coach (the flight is a 737-700 and has three rows of "premier" class seating. I'm going to see if there is an upgrade possibility on this flight later this summer.
Same experience connecting to a Westjet flight in YYC. DM on a DL award ticket. Using the Westjet pnr on the Westjet site I was able to select a premier seat free.
At YYC, Prioritypass gets gets access to the WJ lounge, too. You order food from a menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.