Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Approaching 5 Million - No Expectations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Approaching 5 Million - No Expectations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
As a non MM DM I certainly have decided that having ZERO expectations has worked out well for me.

Ironically the twitter team has done more for me then the DM desk has ever done. In fact if I get a bad response on the phone EVERY time the twitter team has gone above and beyond to fix or in some cases give me more then I expected or hoped for.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
There's a big difference between a 4MM on UA vs a 4-5MM on DL...DL counts MQMs (including partners) whereas UA counts actual flight miles on United and United Express-operated flights only.
Also AMEX credit card bumps count as MQMs for MM status.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by ethernal
UA even gives Global Services for 4MM. Almost feel like that's a bit too generous and will eventually be walked back (either through devaluation / elimination of Global Services or removal of it as a benefit for hitting 4MM with others getting grandfathered in) as it is too "easy" to hit 4MM. Then again, Global Services is pretty easy to make too (relative to 360) so who knows.

I do agree that it seems cheap that Delta doesn't give Diamond status to 4-5MM. Get rid of the "Choice" benefits if they need to. Either the person continues to fly a lot (and would likely have DM status anyways), or they retire and they aren't using their service benefits much anyways.
That is not correct as with United it can only be earned on United metal and not on partners even from star alliance and also class of service miles although it counts towards elite status miles it does not count 4 million miler program as such 4MM miles is actual BIS miles Think of it a person flying in business class 4MM which in their program gets 2x elite qualifying miles in essence only gets 2MM Counted towards million miles
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by HDQDD
FTFY

Why give top tier status away? You want to encourage your customers to continuing trying to attain status (i.e. spend money). Delta is a business.
Originally Posted by lakid

That is not correct as with United it can only be earned on United metal and not on partners even from star alliance and also class of service miles although it counts towards elite status miles it does not count 4 million miler program as such 4MM miles is actual BIS miles Think of it a person flying in business class 4MM which in their program gets 2x elite qualifying miles in essence only gets 2MM Counted towards million miles
I don't view this as that big of a deal.. agree that 4MM on United is harder than 4MM on Delta, but Delta's fare class bonuses aren't as generous as United's (UA business class fares = 200% bonus and 300% for full fare, Delta's business class bonus = 150% and 200% for full fare).

I may have a warped perception as I do about 300K BIS miles a year which is probably higher than most. Roughly 200K on Delta (netting maybe 230K MQM due to fare bonuses - almost all of my Delta flying is domestic economy, I avoid them for international J due to the 767 plague) and 100K spread across United and Alaska.

Case in point on the fare class bonus - I will probably fly United only maybe 50-60K miles this year but will probably make 1K due to a number of international J trips given the generous bonuses they have. This would be very tough/expensive on Delta without credit cards (which I don't use).

Agree it could be tougher if you fly partners a lot - Delta is far more generous in that regard - but I've always found it silly (JV partners aside) why Delta gives either MQM on non-DL ticket stock for partner flights.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

Also AMEX credit card bumps count as MQMs for MM status.
Before MQM's were invented, ALL credit card spend earned miles, which counted towards MM status. (I remember this from the 90's, don't recall when it changed). I imagine many of the folks with 4+MM were in the program back then, when earning was easier. Also, for those that also flew NWA, those miles/MQMs merged into DL as well.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Congrats to the OP. To take the Clooney thing further, IIRC his character hadn't used any of his RDMs until calling to get that free trip for his sister & fiancee. I hope you've had the chance to burn more over all this time, given all they're doing there.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by ULDB65
Before MQM's were invented, ALL credit card spend earned miles, which counted towards MM status. (I remember this from the 90's, don't recall when it changed). I imagine many of the folks with 4+MM were in the program back then, when earning was easier. Also, for those that also flew NWA, those miles/MQMs merged into DL as well.
Wasn't 1996 the fateful year when they started counting only actual miles flown toward MM? I had a few years under the old system that was a lot more generous, but my memory is fuzzy about after that. I also think I took a haircut on MMQMs on the NW merger vs. lifetime miles that were showing on my NW statements...I had thought the sum would be 1.1M but instead it was 800K or so. I did get to 1MM level but shortly afterward they dis-incentivized everything with program changes that continue to this day.

If there's a silver lining it's that SkyTeam Elite status (even at lowly 1MM silver level) did count for something on Xiamen Air on a recent trip and let me jump some pretty long lines at check-in and at the gate. It made the whole experience a little less of a cattle drive.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by griffy208
Somebody made Diamond on a JFK-DTW flight I was on the other day and was congratulated. No comment about him having his feet 90% of the way up the bulkhead, however...
lucky them. I got gold mid trip and didn't even get the appropriate credit for the segments after
griffy208 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mr_hoff
If I recall correctly, Delta's highest mileage flyer is out of NYC, does JFK-ZRH almost weekly. I can't remember just how many miles he has, but it's a heck of a lot more than I ever want. If you talk to the NYC crews who fly that route, they all know him by name ... heck, I'm told he even gets the same seat every time!
If he's the same person who flew on the last "scheduled" B744 flight from ICN>DTW in December 2017, then I believe he has 10MM and is ZRH-based! I was told this by someone who was with me on the "last" actual B744 flight from ICN>DTW, when the scheduled A350 got subbed to a B744 due to a lack of available flight crew for the scheduled A350!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
Congratulations on 5 million. I find that both cabin crew and ground staff often thank me for my 2mm. There was no hooha when I had my 2mm flight. It was a number of years ago, and they do seem to pay more attention to it now.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Congrats on the approaching 5 MM milestone. You should be aware that MM level advancement recognition is spotty at best. I've never had any front-line recognition at (or near) my advancement from one MM level to the next. They've had plenty of opportunities to do so.

happydad100 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I hope they recognize this in some way. 5,000,000 miles translates to roughly 10,000 hours (~1.2 years) in the air, all with a single program. A smart company would recognize that type of loyalty.
There can't be that many 5 million milers.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
There's a big difference between a 4MM on UA vs a 4-5MM on DL...DL counts MQMs (including partners) whereas UA counts actual flight miles on United and United Express-operated flights only.
Which makes @ua1flyer's 20 million miles with United just mind-blowing.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DL-Don
Congrats on the approaching 5 MM milestone. You should be aware that MM level advancement recognition is spotty at best. I've never had any front-line recognition at (or near) my advancement from one MM level to the next. They've had plenty of opportunities to do so.

Have you told your life insurance agent about how many miles you have flown? Surely the actuaries would make some adjustments.
happydad100 and olegator like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
Having started to fly UA this year, I received a postcard on my seat at boarding for the flights which got me to Premier Gold and then to Premier Platinum. (My 1K flight was on OS).

No recognition of the milestone on my 2MM flight ATL-ICN with DL.

Interesting data points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.