Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Approaching 5 Million - No Expectations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Approaching 5 Million - No Expectations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by acrophobia
A smart company would recognize that type of loyalty.
I don't think it's that cut and dried. For every person that wants some form of acknowledgment, there is probably someone who would prefer to remain anonymous. For example, I'm sure you've seen the threads where people get upset when a flight attendant makes the sin of greeting each passenger by name.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
I hit 2MM on a ATL-LAX flight in D1 (Business) a few years ago. The Pilot came out to thank me mid-flight and handed me a his business card with a personal note. I posted it on IG back then, I'll see if I can find it. I thought it was very classy.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I'm curious how many flights that took?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:23 am

Congrats!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
I fly often from TYS so am proud of your accomplishment in a small town sort of way!

Congratulations!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Originally Posted by TPAtoAnywhere

I'm closing in on 5 million program miles. Started in April 1990, should hit the big number in June.
I don't have any expectations and really don't care, although I've noticed that Sky Club employees comment on it when I check in. Anybody here ever had a mileage threshold pointed out on a flight by the crew? I'm just curious. I know the real world of recognition isn't like George Clooney's character in "Up in the Air"

Safe travels all!
WoW early congratulations. This definitely deserves some recognition as others have mentioned here. I'd buy dinner just to hear some of your stories.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by ethernal

I do agree that it seems cheap like good marketing that Delta doesn't give Diamond status to 4-5MM.
FTFY

Why give top tier status away? You want to encourage your customers to continuing trying to attain status (i.e. spend money). Delta is a business.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by TPAtoAnywhere

I'm closing in on 5 million program miles. Started in April 1990, should hit the big number in June.
I don't have any expectations and really don't care, although I've noticed that Sky Club employees comment on it when I check in. Anybody here ever had a mileage threshold pointed out on a flight by the crew? I'm just curious. I know the real world of recognition isn't like George Clooney's character in "Up in the Air"

Safe travels all!
That is incredible. I'm not sure whether it's great or bad, that's a lot of time in the air! Hell, I've been (MQS) Diamond since 2010 (or whenever it started). I still haven't even hit 1MM yet.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HDQDD
FTFY

Why give top tier status away? You want to encourage your customers to continuing trying to attain status (i.e. spend money). Delta is a business.
At some point, people are going to retire and stop flying except to take fun trips. It's kind of nice to reward them for all the money they (or their company(ies)) have spent over many, many years. Besides, United actually gives Global Services for 4 million miles. Delta only gives PM. Besides, when first they gave FO for life at 1 million miles, it was actually worth something. Today, it's useless. Same with GM at 2 million miles.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Apr 25, 2019 at 12:33 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by HDQDD
FTFY

Possibly. But it cuts both ways. I have something like 400k MQM right now - and will probably have about that many roll over by the end of the year. Increasing my million miler status isn't that compelling to me on Delta since the value isn't that high - if I get it, great, but I'm not super compelled. I fly non-Delta airlines whenever it is equally or more convenient to do so despite having lower status (frequently get better seats flying UA as a Gold than DL as a DM due to how many more Economy Plus seats United has than Delta).

Compare that to UA - despite no rollover, I still wanted to inch closer to 4MM status on United for lifetime Global Services even when I was well over the 1K qualifying amount.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Dang, that's a lot of flying. I don't really want to exceed 2 MM.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:49 pm

UA even gives Global Services for 4MM. Almost feel like that's a bit too generous and will eventually be walked back (either through devaluation / elimination of Global Services or removal of it as a benefit for hitting 4MM with others getting grandfathered in) as it is too "easy" to hit 4MM.
As others have mentioned, if you hit 4MM you're likely old and not in condition (either physical health or mental mood) to fly all that much anymore, so it's not like these members are swelling the ranks.

"Easy" to hit 4MM, that's extreme even for FlyerTalk.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can always tell the FAs that this is your milestone flight.
I did this a couple of months ago as I flew my 1MM flight BOS-MSP; the lead FA congratulated me over the loudspeaker when we landed. I know that 1MM is small stuff for most of you, but I don’t expect that I’ll make it to 2MM. I’m age 76 and a leisure flyer who barely makes PM each year. To hit 2MM I’d have to continue my current rate of travel until I’m just short of 100. So I enjoyed my little 15-second moment of frequent flyer glory!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
UA even gives Global Services for 4MM. Almost feel like that's a bit too generous and will eventually be walked back (either through devaluation / elimination of Global Services or removal of it as a benefit for hitting 4MM with others getting grandfathered in) as it is too "easy" to hit 4MM. Then again, Global Services is pretty easy to make too (relative to 360) so who knows.

I do agree that it seems cheap that Delta doesn't give Diamond status to 4-5MM. Get rid of the "Choice" benefits if they need to. Either the person continues to fly a lot (and would likely have DM status anyways), or they retire and they aren't using their service benefits much anyways.
There's a big difference between a 4MM on UA vs a 4-5MM on DL...DL counts MQMs (including partners) whereas UA counts actual flight miles on United and United Express-operated flights only.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Ugh, I am at 500K, Congrats OP!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.