Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-SFO D1 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, AA Plat Pro, F9 Elite 100k
JFK-SFO D1 Upgrades

I'm still learning the JFK D1 ropes, having only flown one segment on a Thursday afternoon as a PM. I missed the D1 upgrade by 5 spots with a pretty lengthy list behind me, and other helpful people here informed me JFK is pretty rough on Thursdays.

I have a flight to SFO next week, and connecting options are via SLC or JFK from MCO. JFK is obviously longer and out of the way, but I could use the extra miles for MQMs towards next year. Prices are same via SLC or JFK.

What have bee experiences for people getting comp upgrades JFK-SFO on a late night Friday flight? The one I'm looking at leaves around 9pm and arrives in SFO at 1am, Currently 12 open D1 seats on a 757, with a relatively open C+ section as well. I've used up my RUCs, so not an option here. Worth chancing the extra long connection for the miles and potentially getting D1, or fat chance in you know what? VIA SLC would depart 7pm arriving midnight, VIA JFK leaves 5pm arriving 1am.

Last edited by Cameron B; Apr 24, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'd do SLC. Upgrades are tough on the D1 757s. Not worth going out of your way to fly economy.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I fly JFK<->SFO Monday and Fridays in Y for work around 1x/month, and I’d guess my upgrade rate is around 20%, and I’ve only been upgraded once on a 757. When I fly this route on my own money, I just buy J now.

DM, Reserve card, AmEX waiver, no RUCs.

Last edited by acrophobia; Apr 24, 2019 at 5:45 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by acrophobia
I fly JFK<->SFO Monday and Fridays in Y for work around 1x/month, and I’d guess my upgrade rate is around 20%, and I’ve only been upgraded once on a 757. When I fly this route on my own money, I just buy J now.

DM, Reserve card, AmEX waiver, no RUCs.
Thanks for that metric!

I guess I was hoping a late night departure from JFK on Friday with a 1am arrival into SFO would provide a chance. There are only 9 C+ seats booked at the moment, which would seem to me to indicate a good chance of low Medallions on board. Even whole rows available in C+ at the moment. Have you flown these later night flights?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cameron B
Thanks for that metric!

I guess I was hoping a late night departure from JFK on Friday with a 1am arrival into SFO would provide a chance. There are only 9 C+ seats booked at the moment, which would seem to me to indicate a good chance of low Medallions on board. Even whole rows available in C+ at the moment. Have you flown these later night flights?
I have, but only on personal trips in paid J (I’m from SF originally so also come out on weekends occasionally for non-business reasons). You might be on to something, but to be honest there have been many times on work trips where I was #1 for ~8 seats at check-in only to end up #1 for zero seats at the gate. You might get lucky, but I certainly wouldn’t put a high weight on it. There are a lot of last-minute J bookings and FCM on this route.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I’d go through JFK. MCO-SLC is a pretty tough UG as well and it looks like there are only 3 seats left up front on next Fridays evening flight.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I’d go through JFK. MCO-SLC is a pretty tough UG as well and it looks like there are only 3 seats left up front on next Fridays evening flight.
Why would you go through JFK? Not saying it's wrong, just taking in everyone's opinion as I find it interesting. You're a lot more seasoned than I am and also MCO based (I guess based on name). The flight I'm looking at is the 7pm from MCO, which actually has 5 open in F, and FCM is currently $129 (second time this month I've seen that offer on MCO-SLC flights). Mind you, trip duration via SLC is 7h45min vs via JFK at 10h46min.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:11 pm

Why would you go through JFK? Not saying it's wrong, just taking in everyone's opinion as I find it interesting. You're a lot more seasoned than I am and also MCO based (I guess based on name). The flight I'm looking at is the 7pm from MCO, which actually has 5 open in F, and FCM is currently $129 (second time this month I've seen that offer on MCO-SLC flights). Mind you, trip duration via SLC is 7h45min vs via JFK at 10h46min.
With that low of an FCM offer, I would just take the offer on the SLC flight then. I originally said to take the JFK flight because it appears that on most days, the last JFK-SFO flight seems to be open in D1 and C+ (which would probably mean its light on elites) which makes since because it doesn’t get to SFO until 1am local time (4am EDT) and the layover was 3 hours which would give you wiggle room in the event of IRROPS.Technically it’s not allowed anymore (but there have been reports of agents still willing to do it so YMMV) you could try and do a SDC to D1 via JFK if you take the buy up offer.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
$129 for FCM on a 2,000 miles flight? Yes please.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

With that low of an FCM offer, I would just take the offer on the SLC flight then. I originally said to take the JFK flight because it appears that on most days, the last JFK-SFO flight seems to be open in D1 and C+ (which would probably mean its light on elites) which makes since because it doesn’t get to SFO until 1am local time (4am EDT) and the layover was 3 hours which would give you wiggle room in the event of IRROPS.Technically it’s not allowed anymore (but there have been reports of agents still willing to do it so YMMV) you could try and do a SDC to D1 via JFK if you take the buy up offer.
To be clear, the $129 is only on the MCO-SLC flight. SLC-SFO is $99, which is pretty wide open and I wouldn't necessarily be inclined for considering how short of a flight it is. I would assume the SDC you were talking about would only work if I did the entire MCO-SLC-SFO flight, and that's only a maybe, correct? Curious...if I did SDC and got re-booked to Z fare, then was able to move to D1 MCO-JFK-SFO, would I get the 150% MQM on my original SLC routing only, or for the JFK equivalent instead? That could make it a bit more intriguing to suck up and pay the full $228 MCO-SLC-SFO FCM offer. FCM for D1 JFK-SFO is currently close to $900.

The JFK connection is only 1 hour. They do have a 3 hour option, but I protection booked the last X fare for the shorter layover (need to cancel it by tonight).

Originally Posted by WWads
$129 for FCM on a 2,000 miles flight? Yes please.
I know. I'll admit it's a great deal. I received the same $129 offer for a future September booking and did take it without much hesitation for that one since I'm bringing along my fiancé.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 7:50 pm

To be clear, the $129 is only on the MCO-SLC flight. SLC-SFO is $99, which is pretty wide open and I wouldn't necessarily be inclined for considering how short of a flight it is. I would assume the SDC you were talking about would only work if I did the entire MCO-SLC-SFO flight, and that's only a maybe, correct? Curious...if I did SDC and got re-booked to Z fare, then was able to move to D1 MCO-JFK-SFO, would I get the 150% MQM on my original SLC routing only, or for the JFK equivalent instead? That could make it a bit more intriguing to suck up and pay the full $228 MCO-SLC-SFO FCM offer. FCM for D1 JFK-SFO is currently close to $900.

The JFK connection is only 1 hour. They do have a 3 hour option, but I protection booked the last X fare for the shorter layover (need to cancel it by tonight).

I know. I'll admit it's a great deal. I received the same $129 offer for a future September booking and did take it without much hesitation for that one since I'm bringing along my fiancé.
I’ve never done a SDC when only accepting one leg for FCM so I don’t have any insight there. If you were able to SDC (again no guarantees) then you would earn 150% MQMs for the MCO-JFK-SFO.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
I guess I was hoping a late night departure from JFK on Friday with a 1am arrival into SFO would provide a chance
That's a brutal flight. What do you do on it? If you sleep you arrive in San Francisco wide-awake and probably can't get into a hotel bed or your own bed until at least 2 or 2:30 a.m. If you stay up, you have the same problem. I guess the answer is just to drink and party on the flight and be a zombie on Saturday.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM/Marriott Titanium
I'm a PM and I've done this exact flight a few times and haven't been upgraded once if I recall. I usually depart Thurs-Fri evenings and it's been a longshot for me on both days. I'd say my upgrade % is around 10% between all flights. I would lean the SLC flight.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:30 pm

I just got home (NYC) from SF. I was #5 for 0 seats today, which puts me at 1/7 for upgrades between SFO and JFK this year (both directions combined)
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
I do JFK-SFO 1-2x/mo usually on Wednesday first flight, friday at 2PM. As a PM I got upgraded once on the 767 (which they seem not to be flying on this route anymore). On my last 5 trips as a DM I've missed upgrades on 8/10 legs, by quite a few spots. Part of that is that is the RUCs that people are burning early in the year.

That being said, I used a RUC on the red-eye SFO-JFK last Thursday night and was 1 for 1 seat 10 hours in advance and cleared (I was 5 down before the RUC).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.