Claiming my space

Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I would have probably offered a compromise upon seeing the bag there - I get that he wanted the extra legroom and comfort of not having his stuff under the seat in front of him. A reasonable compromise would have been “I (in 21F) will put my stuff under 19F for takeoff and landing and you (20E) put your stuff under the seat in front of you (19E) for takeoff and landing. After takeoff I (21F) can move my stuff out and place it in the extra space between my legs and you (20E) can put your stuff under 19F - I’ll put my bag back under 19F just before landing”.

If that compromise offer failed, I would then get the crew involved to settle it.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
If someone put their bags in the space in front of my seat, I would not be so diplomatic. I would simply pick it up and move it. No discussion. Who says you get extra legroom? The seatmap. If you choose a seat with no seat in front of it FOR the extra legroom, that's part of the benefits you bargained for in booking with the airline. You showed an extraordinary amount of restraint with this guy, I imagine I would not have remained so cool. Well played.
Spiff, ijgordon, IggySD and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
I've completely given up taking my favorite seat, 5A, on CR9s and E75s because of several 5B pax wanting to share the space under 4A.
In my view, this is shared space; 4A extends rightward far enough that it is in front of both Y seats, IMHO. I think you’ve settled on the right strategy - selecting 5CD is better if you want to ensure free underseat storage in front of you.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
That space beneath the seat (and behind) doesn't belong to either of you.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
That space beneath the seat (and behind) doesn't belong to either of you.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be smart (because DL owns it all, is that your point?) or something else. However, pax pay more to sit in seats with extra leg room, either through fees or achieving elite status to get these seats without paying a fee/fare increase. While pax may not actually own the space, most of them certainly have paid for it as an amenity on any particular flight.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:26 pm

You should have taken your shoes and socks off and extended your legs for the whole flight! Better yet, if you had a roller bag, get it down after take off and use that to prop them up!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
You should have taken your shoes and socks off and extended your legs for the whole flight! Better yet, if you had a roller bag, get it down after take off and use that to prop them up!
This is exactly what I did when I flew SDQ - JFK once. But I used the persons bag.

Needless to say they were bothered but I pretended not to speak Spanish.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
And if he fails to flinch on that, bring out the toe-nail clippers.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Technically, nothing is allowed in that space where there is no seat. It is supposed to remain clear.
Can you expand upon that remark? DL policy? FAA requirement?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
To see where is MY space, I use common sense and "regulations/rules"...

In all flight EACH passengers MUST have a safety card (period). they even put a little space for this on bulkhead.

The question is WHERE is YOUR safety card... The space between your seat you YOUR safety card belong to YOU.

Also for EACH seat it suppose to have an sickness bag.
I will advise the other passenger sometime I am sick in flight, and this mean I can be sick between my seat and where is MY sickness bag (in case he care about is "stuff").

Also (if my memory is good, I must check on my next flight), the safety video "say", put your belonging under the seat in FRONT of you (it is why bulkhead seat can not have belonging on the floor).

If this did not convince him where is MY space, it is a FA situation...
1readyset2go likes this.

Last edited by FBplatinum; Apr 24, 2019 at 7:04 pm
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm not sure if you are trying to be smart (because DL owns it all, is that your point?) or something else. However, pax pay more to sit in seats with extra leg room, either through fees or achieving elite status to get these seats without paying a fee/fare increase. While pax may not actually own the space, most of them certainly have paid for it as an amenity on any particular flight.
If it's an emergency exit (which I gather it is) nothing is permitted to be stored under those seats and it should remain clear in case of am evacuation
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If it's an emergency exit (which I gather it is) nothing is permitted to be stored under those seats and it should remain clear in case of am evacuation
I've been told by FAs that I can put stuff under those seats provided it fits and doesn't stick out at all.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
that was enforced on a Vueling A320 flight where we were in the forward exit row, but I have never seen it on a domestic US flight (AA, AS, DL, UA; going back farther, I can’t recall any mention on NW, TW, CO, HP either)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dcadwell
I had a similar experience on a DTW-NRT trip. Booked 41J on the A350 and the couple traveling in row 40 decided to put their bags/coolers (yes, coolers - in addition to all of the in-flight catering they brought additional meals/snacks) in the space in front of me.

Figured the flight attendants would say something because as you state it blocks emergency exit access, but alas they did not.
I recently flew BA and was in the exit row and they have a policy of allowing no bags under the seats for anyone in the exit rows. at all. that would alleviate a lot of this
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by gitismatt
I recently flew BA and was in the exit row and they have a policy of allowing no bags under the seats for anyone in the exit rows. at all. that would alleviate a lot of this
I'm not 100% sure but I think this may also be the policy for most European airlines. I was surprised when I started flying in the US that I could put my bag under the seat in an emergency exit because I was so used to BA (and I think other airlines) not allowing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.