Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cannot Upgrade Directly From Main Cabin To First Class??

Old Apr 23, 19, 8:02 am
Original Poster

PM here, usually get automatic upgrade to DC at purchase. I was automatically upgraded to a lousy middle DC seat at purchase of a domestic itinerary so called in to move me back to a main cabin exit row as no other DC seats were available.

I had the upgrade to FC box checked since purchase but not the upgrade to DC box checked. Four days before the flight I went back in and saw several good DC seats now available obviously from DM/PM who got upgraded to FC. Not only did it upgrade me to DC but it then also immediately upgraded me to FC.

I was not aware that an upgrade request directly from MC to FC wasn’t recognized by the system and that one had to go from MC to DC then from DC to FC within the 5-day window.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
That shouldn't be the case unless something has changed. I have my preference set so that upgrade to C+ is not requested by default. Even without having the C+ upgrade requested by default I can still view the seatmap and choose an upgrade to C+ if there's a seat I like. I have been upgraded from Y directly to F many times. Your selections of whether to automatically upgrade to C+ or not should have not bearing on you chances of upgrade to F. You may want to check your preferences for the C+ upgrades. My suggestion is to uncheck the default to automatic C+, which will prevent the system from putting you in any available C+ seat, but will still allow you to view the available C+ seats and make the decision for each individual flight yourself.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
PM here, usually get automatic upgrade to DC at purchase. I was automatically upgraded to a lousy middle DC seat at purchase of a domestic itinerary so called in to move me back to a main cabin exit row as no other DC seats were available.

I had the upgrade to FC box checked since purchase but not the upgrade to DC box checked. Four days before the flight I went back in and saw several good DC seats now available obviously from DM/PM who got upgraded to FC. Not only did it upgrade me to DC but it then also immediately upgraded me to FC.

I was not aware that an upgrade request directly from MC to FC wasn’t recognized by the system and that one had to go from MC to DC then from DC to FC within the 5-day window.
When you called to undo the C+ "upgrade" could the phone agent have unchecked the FC upgrade for your flight? Did you ever look to see that you still had the FC upgrade requested?
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
When you called to undo the C+ "upgrade" could the phone agent have unchecked the FC upgrade for your flight? Did you ever look to see that you still had the FC upgrade requested?
this is the most likely explanation
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
First class box was always checked. I made 100% sure of this while watching the flight since purchase.
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:57 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
this is the most likely explanation
Any time I have called to un-do a C+ UG, the FC UG request has always been deleted and I have to re-request it.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; Apr 23, 19 at 11:03 am
Old Apr 23, 19, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post

Any time I have called to un-do a C+ UG, the FC UG request has always been deleted and I have to re-request it.
Unfortunately this will reset the time of request timestamp as the ultimate tiebreaker.
Old Apr 24, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry, SPG/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle View Post
As an FO, I never check the complimentary C+ box until OLCI since I do not want a middle seat. On my most recent flight when I logged in to check the box, I had already been upgraded to First. So while I can't speak for the "5 day window" upgrades, I think it's more likely a glitch.