Economy vs comfort+ long haul on A330

Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue
Economy vs comfort+ long haul on A330

FB elite plus member here
I have an upcoming trip with on a DL A330 in economy. Are there any advantages getting Comfort+, apart from couple of inches more leg room, how about food and drink service?
By the way, do they also offer food for sale on long haul flights?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
No difference in food/drink. DL does free food and drink (including beer, wine, and liquor) on long haul flights -- only advantage in that department to C+ is higher likelihood of getting first choice of meal.

Only other "advantage" is getting a little mini amenity kit with an eye mask, toothbrush, and a couple other minor things.

If you have to pay for it or their are only middle seats, it's not worth it IMO unless you need the legroom, and even then the exit rows have tons of legroom (especially on the AB side)
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:47 am

We usually get C+ because my wife is in a wheelchair (the disability desk will move her up if seating is available -- closer to the door, and the extra legroom makes the transfer to/from the aisle chair much easier and safer), including on our recent flight on a 330 (BOS-AMS). I don't think it would have been worth paying extra for.

(I DO wish we'd sprung for Premium Economy on the return flight on a 350 to DTW, but that's a different topic )
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
For a long haul flights I think another consideration is if you want anything "extra" outside of the meal/drink service during flight. I find that flight attendants are much more generous with extra wine or snacks upon request for passengers seated in Delta Comfort. I have noticed FA's politely refusing a wine refill or snacks to main cabin passengers when not during meal service.

Plus A330 has some of the best delta comfort seats on all of delta. The 2 seat side is great! Even better if you can get the bulkhead.
eastindywalrus likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
There's a minor food difference between C+ and coach: the snack basket.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:09 pm

We are in 27a/b..(i'm 6'4"...so LOVE the leg room...I usually just take the extra leg room and live with the recline and if the door protrudes---not sure if 330's do or not---but in past the protruding door has not hindered my comfort).

My question is how much more "recline" would I get in C+.

I'm debating if get much more recline, that it might be better on the overnight flight to AMS, vs the unlimited exit row leg room?

Thoughts?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, AF/KL Flying Blue
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
There's a minor food difference between C+ and coach: the snack basket.
Depends on what OP meant by long haul. If they're talking long haul international, the snack basket isn't a thing on those flights.
Duke787 and RaflW like this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mridley2
For a long haul flights I think another consideration is if you want anything "extra" outside of the meal/drink service during flight. I find that flight attendants are much more generous with extra wine or snacks upon request for passengers seated in Delta Comfort. I have noticed FA's politely refusing a wine refill or snacks to main cabin passengers when not during meal service.

Plus A330 has some of the best delta comfort seats on all of delta. The 2 seat side is great! Even better if you can get the bulkhead.
Agreed - flew MSP-AMS this summer on the A330 in Comfort + and found service attentive and very good. My wife and I had the two seat side. Years ago I flew on the A330 to LGW on NWA in coach. It was in February and I had an entire middle row to myself on the flight out. I doubt that happens much anymore.

PP
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
On international flights C+ seats have a slight amount of extra recline as well as the extra legroom. I find that the extra recline makes a difference in my ability to sleep on an overnight flight.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mridley2

Originally Posted by pogopossum
Agreed - flew MSP-AMS this summer on the A330 in Comfort + and found service attentive and very good. My wife and I had the two seat side. Years ago I flew on the A330 to LGW on NWA in coach. It was in February and I had an entire middle row to myself on the flight out. I doubt that happens much anymore.

PP
Meh honestly I've flown C+ and regular Y enough on TATL and TPAC in the past 18 months that I haven't noticed much of a service difference -- at least not to an extent that it would be worth spending any money on C+ vs. Y.

For me on C+ for TATL it comes down to a couple factors:

1) Are you PM/DM? If so you get for free at booking. Are you GM/FO? If so worth listing for but not worth taking one of the middle seats if you have an Aisle/Window on the "2" side in Y (and see #2 if GM/FO who needs legroom but can't confirm C+ at booking)
2) Are you tall? If so, C+ is worth it because every inch of pitch counts but row 22/27 on the A332/A333 has more legroom than any C+ seat does
3) Do you have a tight connection? If so C+ puts you closer to D2 so you'll get off the plane more quickly

Otherwise there is nothing that would make C+ worth the extra $ in my book
Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying blue
Thank you everybody for taking your time to answer! Really good information here
I have flown Delta domestic before, but like I mentioned this is my first time flying DL on long haul (ATL-EZE)
Old Apr 24, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
We are in 27a/b..(i'm 6'4"...so LOVE the leg room...I usually just take the extra leg room and live with the recline and if the door protrudes---not sure if 330's do or not---but in past the protruding door has not hindered my comfort).

My question is how much more "recline" would I get in C+.

I'm debating if get much more recline, that it might be better on the overnight flight to AMS, vs the unlimited exit row leg room?

Thoughts?
No issue with the door protruding on the 333, always pick row 27 seats and put carry-on in front of me as a leg support, plenty of space for that, becomes a pretty comfy setup!
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
If 27AB or HJ are available as an FB elite+, those are better in my opinion than C+. I also have found the C+ portion of the cabin to be very warm on most DL A330 flights I've been seated there. Some find the exits cold, but I love that. Your temperature preference may help you decide.

I had one flight where I believe row 14HJ the recline was more like regular Y. Dunno if that was intentional by DL to not pinch regular Y pax, but of course the person in front of me had the bonus couple inches so I felt constrained. I've avoided row 14 since.

Meal choices, except the salad option, have always held out to row 27.

edit: one downside of row 27 is basinets in the middle 4. Can also happen at the front of C+, but seems more frequent at row 27, at least for me.
BenA and Dutch101 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
Meh honestly I've flown C+ and regular Y enough on TATL and TPAC in the past 18 months that I haven't noticed much of a service difference -- at least not to an extent that it would be worth spending any money on C+ vs. Y.
Agree 100%. I often choose an empty row in Y rather than a row with a seat mate in C+ and have observed exactly two differences: the amenity kit doesnt have a toothbrush, and the salad meal choice is usually gone. Other than that, everything is identical.

For drinks, Ive never been denied walking back to the main galley and asking politely - unless the F/As have a photographic memory, they wont remember where you are seated anyway, and drinks are included at all seats. Obviously, this is one or two refills over the course of the flight - if youre back there every half hour, youll probably get cut off no matter what class youre in. But a midflight woodford or wine shouldnt be a problem at all.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
I generally don't pay for C+ but with a comp upgrade my order of preference would be:
C+ in a 2 seat side (seats AB or HJ)
Y exit row in a 2 seat side
C+ middle section aisles (seats CG)
Y exit row middle section aisles
Y window seat
Y aisle seat

Service might be marginally better in C+. Food/drink is included either way.
Duke787 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.