Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Individual Passengers in Single Itinerary

Old Apr 22, 19, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade individual passengers in a multi-passenger itinerary to C+ or First Class without upgrading everyone in the itinerary. You can do this pretty easily with other airlines, but it's really unclear with Delta's booking site, and I haven't flown Delta in a few years.
Old Apr 22, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
yes, call and the upgraders will be put on a different PNR
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:50 pm

I have done this many times. You need to call in and they will split the PNR. Once the PNR is split you cannot get the passengers back on the same PNR.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
It's the same process as the other 'easy' airlines. You need to split yourself off the group PNR and then upgrade yourself, With most airlines you need to call as this isn't an online function. If you know of an airline that will do this online I'm sure we'd all be interested.
Old Apr 22, 19, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
It's the same process as the other 'easy' airlines. You need to split yourself off the group PNR and then upgrade yourself, With most airlines you need to call as this isn't an online function. If you know of an airline that will do this online I'm sure we'd all be interested.
Probably for the better. It's generally not good to have irreversible functions on the website. Even cancelling a ticket is reversible, but merging PNRs is not.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL
One other option that hasn't been mentioned is that for each passenger on the PNR in question, you can choose whether or not to request a complimentary upgrade to Comfort+ and First accordingly. When you go to your trip in delta.com using a full deskop client, not mobile - scroll down past the flight and seat selection info. Down below there, you'll find the section about complimentary upgrades. Check and uncheck the boxes and save. Easy.

Now for whether those settings are honored by Delta IT is another matter, I haven't tried having different upgrade requests for different passengers myself. I never liked the idea of splitting PNR, but that doesn't seem to be a bad route either.
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:26 pm

Understand that when you split your PNR you and have an IROP could be sent on different routes or planes
Old Apr 22, 19, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Understand that when you split your PNR you and have an IROP could be sent on different routes or planes
A call to any reasonable agent should fix this
Old Apr 22, 19, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
A call to any reasonable agent should fix this
Not possible when a storm takes out half the flights. There are times it pays to be in the same record. And their is no way to link a record. Just cross ref.
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:16 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by rzsionak View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade individual passengers in a multi-passenger itinerary to C+ or First Class without upgrading everyone in the itinerary. You can do this pretty easily with other airlines, but it's really unclear with Delta's booking site, and I haven't flown Delta in a few years.
How many passengers are on the same PNR? Note that DL only allows one companion to be upgraded to C+ or FC. If you have more than one companion on the same PNR with you, the system will inhibit anyone from being upgraded. If you split it so that only you and one companion are on the same PNR, you will both be eligible for C+/FC upgrades (at your upgrade priority level).
Pocatello likes this.
Old Apr 23, 19, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
How many passengers are on the same PNR? Note that DL only allows one companion to be upgraded to C+ or FC. If you have more than one companion on the same PNR with you, the system will inhibit anyone from being upgraded. If you split it so that only you and one companion are on the same PNR, you will both be eligible for C+/FC upgrades (at your upgrade priority level).
The trade-off is that the non-Medallion passengers on the other PNR no longer get your medallion benefits as they would if on your PNR. Some of this you can override: check-in agent will generally provide the other passengers with better baggage allowance. Sometimes you can manage SkyPriority security line by just showing one BP for the whole group. One thing that you definitely lose is SP bag tags. They'll only do it for passengers on the Medallion member's PNR. You can try and manage this by checking more bags (up to allowance) on Medallion and Medallion-companion PNR. But only those who have checked bags are eligible for Bags on Time miles award. So if all bags are late, only some passengers in the party can seek the bonus. Again, a bunch of trade-offs.
Old Apr 23, 19, 7:18 am

From the reading of the rules, for someone who is just Silver, you could just check-in together with the one person you want to be eligible for companion upgrades and have the others in the party check-in separately without splitting the PNR. This would let the other companions retain the benefits of being on the same PNR. Obviously, if you are Gold or higher, this is non-optimal as the system won't process any upgrades at your normal window.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
From the reading of the rules, for someone who is just Silver, you could just check-in together with the one person you want to be eligible for companion upgrades and have the others in the party check-in separately without splitting the PNR. This would let the other companions retain the benefits of being on the same PNR. Obviously, if you are Gold or higher, this is non-optimal as the system won't process any upgrades at your normal window.
Does checking in separately split the PNR? This isn't intuitive to me.
Old Apr 23, 19, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Does checking in separately split the PNR? This isn't intuitive to me.
No, but it appears to impact how the upgrade processor functions. Although not specifically stated, the following implies that if only the Medallion and one other pax on the reservation checks in together, they should be eligible for upgrades and put on upgrade list.

Traveling with two or more companions:
  • If there are any General Members in the reservation, and everyone checks in together, no one in the reservation will be eligible for Complimentary Upgrades.
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta DM, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by NobleHouse View Post
One other option that hasn't been mentioned is that for each passenger on the PNR in question, you can choose whether or not to request a complimentary upgrade to Comfort+ and First accordingly. When you go to your trip in delta.com using a full deskop client, not mobile - scroll down past the flight and seat selection info. Down below there, you'll find the section about complimentary upgrades. Check and uncheck the boxes and save. Easy.

Now for whether those settings are honored by Delta IT is another matter, I haven't tried having different upgrade requests for different passengers myself. I never liked the idea of splitting PNR, but that doesn't seem to be a bad route either.
Have you tried this before? I am flying with a toddler later this week and we were both upgraded to F on both segments. There were enough seats open that we could pick seats together. We previously split my wife off into her own PNR. On the return there are only a few remaining F seats. I don't want to separate my daughter from my PNR under any circumstances, but if there is a chance at getting 1 seat I would consider "unchecking" my daughter's upgrade request. And if I am upgraded I would then give that seat to my wife and take her seat next to my daughter. Would this work? Better to just ask the check-in agent or gate agent to upgrade just me?

Search this Thread