FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   How Long Does it take to Load Bonus SkyMiles on AMEX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1966456-how-long-does-take-load-bonus-skymiles-amex.html)

Alp GK Apr 22, 2019 11:41 am

How Long Does it take to Load Bonus SkyMiles on AMEX

Hello all,

I recently opened an AMEX Gold Delta with 60k bonus skymiles and $50 statement credit for eligible $2000 purchases. I spent more than the required amount(around 6K) within few days after receiving card ( almost a month ago). A few days ago i received my first statement but bonus points did not load to my account. I spoke with multiple AMEX representatives and their answers are the same: It may vary and takes 6-8 weeks. I have done some research and talked to my friend who referred me said that theirs loaded after few days they reached the threshold amount.

My question is how long did it take for you to receive Bonus points if you had applied for this program before?

luv2vacay Apr 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Alp GK (Post 31025837)
Hello all,

I recently opened an AMEX Gold Delta with 60k bonus skymiles and $50 statement credit for eligible $2000 purchases. I spent more than the required amount within few days after receiving card ( almost a month ago). A few days ago i received my first statement but bonus points did not load to my account. I spoke with multiple AMEX representatives and their answers are the same: It may vary and takes 6-8 weeks. I have done some research and talked to my friend who referred me said that theirs loaded after few days they reached the threshold amount.

My question is how long did it take for you to receive Bonus points if you had applied for this program before?

My 1st statement from Amex hasn't closed yet. The bonus points showed up on my Skymiles account approx. 2 days after hitting the MSR on the Amex Delta Reserve card.

AZwldcats Apr 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Mine took about 4 days after statement closed.

ATLflyer2017 Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm

AMEX typically will say 2-3 days after statement closes. If you pay the total amount early, it will sometimes show up sooner. I never carry a balance.

mnbp Apr 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Amex signup bonus miles usually post very fast. Double check that your DL SkyMiles account number is correctly associated with your new Amex account (and that Amex didn't sign you up for a new DL SkyMiles account, which sometimes has happened).

Alp GK Apr 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp (Post 31026048)
Amex signup bonus miles usually post very fast. Double check that your DL SkyMiles account number is correctly associated with your new Amex account (and that Amex didn't sign you up for a new DL SkyMiles account, which sometimes has happened).

I have received regular Bonus points that accumulated from my spendings on the statement but not the bonus points. So I`m sure they have my correct number.

Just spoke with another representative she also said that i should have received it by now. She said she will forward the issue to a supervisor and call me back tomorrow.

mnbp Apr 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Alp GK (Post 31026056)
I have received regular Bonus points that accumulated from my spendings on the statement but not the bonus points. So I`m sure they have my correct number.

Just spoke with another representative she also said that i should have received it by now. She said she will forward the issue to a supervisor and call me back tomorrow.

Nothing slightly odd about the purchases? No MS techniques involved, right? All Amex T&C conditions on purchases compiled with?

Alp GK Apr 22, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp (Post 31026248)
Nothing slightly odd about the purchases? No MS techniques involved, right? All Amex T&C conditions on purchases compiled with?

Nothing extraordinary. I even spent almost 3x than required amount which about $6k and paid it back a few days later.

Gig103 Apr 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Alp GK (Post 31026258)
Nothing extraordinary. I even spent almost 3x than required amount which about $6k and paid it back a few days later.

Charging $18,000 and paying it off "a few days later" and not when the statement closed, might have triggered a manual review. I'm not accusing you of any wrongdoing, nor is Amex, but it can take weeks for someone to check the charges. They will be looking for things like cash-equivalents, gift cards, etc.

Have you ever had a Gold Skymiles card before? Amex is very specific that sign-up bonuses are once per lifetime.

Oh and welcome to Flyertalk!!

Alp GK Apr 23, 2019 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31026548)
Charging $18,000 and paying it off "a few days later" and not when the statement closed, might have triggered a manual review. I'm not accusing you of any wrongdoing, nor is Amex, but it can take weeks for someone to check the charges. They will be looking for things like cash-equivalents, gift cards, etc.

Have you ever had a Gold Skymiles card before? Amex is very specific that sign-up bonuses are once per lifetime.

I was planning to make a big purchase and decided to apply for Delta card to take advantage of the bonus points. Did not have any delta affiliated card before. Like i said, nothing extraordinary, did not buy any gift cards or cash-equivalents etc. I will get to bottom of this today hopefully.

And Thank you!

No_Name Apr 23, 2019 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31026548)
Charging $18,000 and paying it off "a few days later" and not when the statement closed, might have triggered a manual review.

I believe they spent a total of $6K, which is 3x the threshold amount of $2K. That shouldn't be enough to trigger a review.

Gig103 Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am

Originally Posted by No_Name (Post 31028280)
I believe they spent a total of $6K, which is 3x the threshold amount of $2K. That shouldn't be enough to trigger a review.

Oh Gosh I totally misunderstood the post! I definitely retract my statement, a $6k charge shouldn't trigger anything! :o

Originally Posted by Alp GK (Post 31028273)
I was planning to make a big purchase and decided to apply for Delta card to take advantage of the bonus points. Did not have any delta affiliated card before. Like i said, nothing extraordinary, did not buy any gift cards or cash-equivalents etc. I will get to bottom of this today hopefully.

And Thank you!

You're welcome, just trying to guess it out with you. I've gotten CCs specifically with large purchases in mind too. Sorry for misunderstanding the scope of the bonus.

Noctilum Apr 23, 2019 10:56 am

All my bonus points from each card came within a day or two of meeting the threshold. I didn't even have to wait for the statement to close for that month.

OskiBear Apr 23, 2019 11:13 am

I'm having an issue with conflicting responses from AMEX. I used the card to pay my income taxes this year and one rep said it was fine and another said it wouldn't count. Still trying to get resolution but the bonus didn't show up on the statement that closed with the spend.

Alp GK Apr 23, 2019 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 31029290)
Oh Gosh I totally misunderstood the post! I definitely retract my statement, a $6k charge shouldn't trigger anything! :o

You're welcome, just trying to guess it out with you. I've gotten CCs specifically with large purchases in mind too. Sorry for misunderstanding the scope of the bonus.

No worries :D AMEX representative called me today said that my account was sent to the respective department to find out what is causing the delay and they should get back to me by Thursday the latest. I planned a trip on May with my GF assuming my points would hit by now so i could book the tix for NY. Oh well, will wait and see what happens.