Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged bag, no receipt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Damaged bag, no receipt

Hello. I had a bag damaged on a DL TATL flight. I reported the damage at the airport, received a claim and a file reference number, which I then submitted online, with pictures of the damage and a photo of the form completed at the airport. The claim was immediately rejected because I did not submit a receipt for the original bag purchase. I have searched through credit card statements and just can't find it. And since I bought the bag about a year ago, I have no idea where the actual receipt may be. I understand DL wants verify the bag cost, but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect someone to keep receipts ad nauseum so they can make a claim if/when the bag is damaged (am I wrong about that? do others keep receipts in the event an airline may damage their bag?). Any suggestions for how to resubmit the claim without a receipt and receive any sort of reimbursement. Bag is a 26" softside spinner, only paid about $150 for it, so if I just have to eat it, I can accept it and move on with my life (though barely!). but still would like to be compensated as I will have to replace it. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Find the identical bag with price online. Send DL a screenshot.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can the bag be repaired? If so, I would think they would tell you to get it repaired (maybe even providing a local vendor contact that they use), and then submit a receipt for the repair cost to be reimbursed (to the extent the vendor doesn't already have an agreement with the airline to bill them directly).

If not, then yeah, I understand why they would want a receipt. And yes, I usually save receipts for "big ticket" items. But I have no insight into whether 3Cforme's suggestion would work or not.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
. And yes, I usually save receipts for "big ticket" items.
I don't consider a $150 bag a big ticket item.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I keep receipts for big ticket items and items I travel with, such as luggage. Generally, DL will accept some reasonable estimate with a screen shot and will then discount it for fair market value (DL would do that anyway). DL is also pretty good about simply offering to replace the bag with something approximating what you had. If you are OK with that, this is relatively easy. If not, it comes down to whether the bag can be repaired and at what cost vs it's totalled and needs to be replaced. Factor in the value of your time and whether you will accept some reasonable amount (which on a $150 bag used for any appreciable period of time, won't be much).

Alternatively, look to your travel insurance. It may well provide a simple lump payment and that may be the easiest of all.
HMPS likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Can the bag be repaired? If so, I would think they would tell you to get it repaired (maybe even providing a local vendor contact that they use), and then submit a receipt for the repair cost to be reimbursed (to the extent the vendor doesn't already have an agreement with the airline to bill them directly).

If not, then yeah, I understand why they would want a receipt. And yes, I usually save receipts for "big ticket" items. But I have no insight into whether 3Cforme's suggestion would work or not.
Boy am I glad a buy " disposable bags". I have to pack two large suitcases on my Intl trips. If I get 2 R/T on lang hauls, and I have to throw it away, I feel I got my $ 40 per bag ! Over the years I figured out the aggravation the OP and others go thru is not worth it. Bags do get banged up.
Oxnardjan and AeRoSpaceman like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:35 pm
HNS

Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Try reaching out to the vendor. They should be able
to pull out a receipt copy from their records.

And from now on always scan and save the receipts for bags, just for cases like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
OP, for what it's worth my experience was not the same as yours. When I submitted photos for damage they asked me the value of the bag to be replaced (not repaired), and I told them $129. I didn't have the receipt or credit card slip I was reimbursed.

One thing about receipts is that, with Samsonite it's usually a good idea to keep it for warranty repairs.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HMPS
Boy am I glad a buy " disposable bags". I have to pack two large suitcases on my Intl trips. If I get 2 R/T on lang hauls, and I have to throw it away, I feel I got my $ 40 per bag ! Over the years I figured out the aggravation the OP and others go thru is not worth it. Bags do get banged up.
Hmm, well I'm not so sure you come out ahead, vs. a $500+ bag that will likely last 10 years, and certainly the environment loses!!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:05 pm

Hmm, well I'm not so sure you come out ahead, vs. a $500+ bag that will likely last 10 years, and certainly the environment loses!!
We are on different wavelength. I see banged up large suitcases ( max allowed size) often. Since we are both into making these trips that would be 500 x 4 = $ 2000. Vs mine 4 x 40 = $160. Evenif you cost out "your" suitcase at $250 each = $ 1000 vs $ 140. !

I am well past how do they look even though we are alway J, sometimes F.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Twice in the past year I have had a bag damaged and both times I was offered the option to send it to Delta's bag repair/replace affiliate. In one case I did that and the bag came back with an impressive repair. The other time I opted for a $100 voucher as compensation. My understanding is that the repair/replace affiliate will determine if the bag can be repaired and they will do so if possible. Otherwise they will replace it with a comparable bag. Not sure how the replace part plays out since they were able to repair the one I sent to them.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by Paplover
Twice in the past year I have had a bag damaged and both times I was offered the option to send it to Delta's bag repair/replace affiliate. In one case I did that and the bag came back with an impressive repair. The other time I opted for a $100 voucher as compensation. My understanding is that the repair/replace affiliate will determine if the bag can be repaired and they will do so if possible. Otherwise they will replace it with a comparable bag. Not sure how the replace part plays out since they were able to repair the one I sent to them.
Do they tell you if your bag can't be repaired, and offer to replace it? Or do they do it automatically?

In my case, I want Delta to fix my bag (zipper), but not replace the bag. If their affiliate in Dallas can't fix the bag, then I want the manufacturer to repair it. No replacement.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan
I don't consider a $150 bag a big ticket item.
I agree with you. This is not exactly a disposable bag but maybe only one step up. Since I rarely check, I'm ok with a lower quality bag in this case, though I do buy higher-quality carryons and laptop bags. And like I said in my first post, I think I can move on with my life if Delta chooses to blow me off entirely. Though I have this foolish notion that since I'm on a biz class ticket they will be just a little more accommodating. I suspect I am sorely mistaken on that count.

I did try the print out a website with the bag price method. We'll see. Thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I have had several damaged bags in the past 2 years. Depending on the station, I have gotten different options.

1) Bag is damaged and they give you a claim number and a UPS shipping label to send to the repair company. They will then determine if it is repairable and send you that one or call for a replacement
2) I had a slash in my bag last week and went to the RDU baggage office and they went in the back and got me a new (similar) one. My bag wasn’t expensive so I was ok with that, but if it was high end, I would insist they create a claim.
3) If the bag is not repairable, there is a new Delta program with Ricardo where they let you select from a variety of bags online. When this happened I was traveling with a travel pro garment bag and that was offered so I called delta and provided receipt and they reimbursed a portion of it (taking into account age)

in in any case, if your bag is damaged, there is a variety of things that can happen, but the key is you have to notify the baggage office at your arrival airport immediately (or the delta baggage number within 24 hours).
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I have had several damaged bags in the past 2 years. Depending on the station, I have gotten different options.

1) Bag is damaged and they give you a claim number and a UPS shipping label to send to the repair company. They will then determine if it is repairable and send you that one or call for a replacement
2) I had a slash in my bag last week and went to the RDU baggage office and they went in the back and got me a new (similar) one. My bag wasn’t expensive so I was ok with that, but if it was high end, I would insist they create a claim.
3) If the bag is not repairable, there is a new Delta program with Ricardo where they let you select from a variety of bags online. When this happened I was traveling with a travel pro garment bag and that was offered so I called delta and provided receipt and they reimbursed a portion of it (taking into account age)

in in any case, if your bag is damaged, there is a variety of things that can happen, but the key is you have to notify the baggage office at your arrival airport immediately (or the delta baggage number within 24 hours).
Two incidents with my $ 40 suitcases
! BOM AUH GRU SCL. South Ameria flights on LATAM , all F & J.
At SCL porter noticed a whell ( of four) had been knocked off. He pointed to baggage office in arrivals, sent me there to claim. No hopes, me thinks.
One look at it ( $ 40 full size hard sided bought in Shanghai ) , he went in the back with a large wheeled, zippered semi soft suitcase, sign here and on my way. All of five minutes.
Told porter too tired to switch bag mmerchandise, will do in the hotel. Immediately he requested the old one ( now 3 wheels). Came to the hotel and picked it up. No doubt got a wheel and sold it ! No environmental damage.
2 Tough canvass full size duffel, a fav wheeled ....found a gash and a wheel missing on landing at BOM. Figured will throw it away. Fam member sent it down to a roadside repairer, new wheel and gash sewn up ! Expense + $4 ! Environment saved.
Again, who care how it looks, if you look down at it or me, who cares?
freQ likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.