Wiki Posts
Search

SDC now $75 for Platinum?!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
SDC now $75 for Platinum?!

At the main DTW sky club today. Tried to SDC into a confirmed F seat earlier (not upgrade- purchased). Was told SDC is not allowed “if there is nothing wrong with your flight.”
ok....

Asked about flying standby, in literally ANY class. Was told it’s a $75 charge, IF they grant your standby request. I’m Platinum, and literally did a SDC earlier today in Albany.

What the hell? The other agent shot me a look of sympathy, but didn’t intervene. Called Platinum desk and was told the same thing, but they would do it “as a one time courtesy.”

Did I miss a MAJOR status “enhancement?”
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Sounds like a bad (or just not knowledgeable) agent. I had one on the phone the other day try to tell me that fare bucket availability was a requirement for premium cabin SDC with a paid F ticket. HUCA got me someone who knew the rules.

Hopefully you were able to get this resolved on the phone or at another one of the clubs.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
At the main DTW sky club today. Tried to SDC into a confirmed F seat earlier (not upgrade- purchased). Was told SDC is not allowed “if there is nothing wrong with your flight.”
ok....

Asked about flying standby, in literally ANY class. Was told it’s a $75 charge, IF they grant your standby request. I’m Platinum, and literally did a SDC earlier today in Albany.

What the hell? The other agent shot me a look of sympathy, but didn’t intervene. Called Platinum desk and was told the same thing, but they would do it “as a one time courtesy.”

Not per DL.com. DL.com still shows SDC/SDS being complimentary for DM, PM, and GM.
SAME-DAY CONFIRMED
If a seat is available in your originally purchased fare class, you can change your ticket to a confirmed seat on a new flight.
  • Same-Day Confirmed Fee From $75 USD
  • Same-Day Confirmed is Complimentary for Diamond, Platinum & Gold Medallion Members (See Terms & Conditions)
SAME-DAY STANDBYYou may wait for a seat on an earlier flight than your original ticket, if the Same-Day Confirmed option is not available.
  • Same-Day Standby Fee From $75 USD
  • Same-Day Standby is Complimentary for Diamond, Platinum & Gold Medallion Members (See Terms & Conditions)
  • Fee is only charged if you’re cleared for your requested flight
https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
No.

Current rules are:
Discover Platinum Medallion Benefits
(6) Same-Day Confirmed: As a Diamond, Platinum or Gold Medallion Member, you may request a same-day change to your itinerary and be confirmed at no extra charge, except when flying on a Basic Economy (E) fare. To make a same-day confirmed change when booked in Main Cabin your original fare class must be available. To make a same-day confirmed change when booked in our premium cabins -- including Delta One®, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin. Your request can be made within 24 hours prior to your original departure time. Your new departure time must still be on the same day as your originally scheduled departure.

(7) Same-Day Standby: If you are unable to secure flights with the same-day confirmed option, we offer the option to stand by free of charge to Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members at the kiosk, ticket counter or through reservations, except when flying on a Basic Economy (E) fare. Silver Medallion Members have the option to stand by for an earlier flight, and will be charged $75 if confirmed. See Same-day Travel Changes for more information and complete terms and conditions. Same Day Standby fee is $75 USD for tickets issues on/after March 15th, 2017. For tickets issued prior to March 15th, 2017, the fee is $50 USD.
Sounds like you happened to hit two "B" team members who drew the short straw and are working a holiday weekend.
In2ishn, wlau, Widgets and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was the routing the same?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I did F SDC today in fact, RDU-LGA, with exactly zero problems.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
I SDC'd today no problem. Twice. First from a 5pm flight to an 11am flight. Then, when I realized I was stone cold awake with jet lag at 3am, SDC'ed again to a 6am flight (easiest upgrade ever: 6am on Easter Sunday).

Use the phone and call the desk.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xliioper
Was the routing the same?
The routing doesn't have to be the same, just legal for your fare rules and not involving a switch from a connection to a nonstop.

There are also rules for international itineraries.

I wish the OP had given more details.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Was any part of your itinerary international?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The routing doesn't have to be the same, just legal for your fare rules and not involving a switch from a connection to a nonstop.

There are also rules for international itineraries.

I wish the OP had given more details.
details:
xxx->DTW->GRR

Original- purchased first class ticket for entire itinerary, in I Class. Original routing was xxx->DTW->GRR leaving xxx at 550 PM, arriving in DTW at 720 PM, leaving DTW at 10:50 PM and arriving in GRR AT 1130 PM.

At T-24, was able to SDC xxx->DTW to leave xxx at 1:15 PM, getting into DTW at 3:00 PM. I now had a 8.5 hr layover but plenty of options to SDS on several earlier flights, which is what I was attempting when I got to DTW.

When i I arrived in DTW at 3:00 PM, I went straight to the DTW sky club. A seat on DTW -> GRR at 4:15 PM had opened in F (3 actually). The agent refused, as stated above. I left the club, called Platinum desk, and got the response as also stated above; they did the SDC but only as “a one time courtesy.”
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“one-time courtesy” = total nonsense
DiverDave and Pianoman109876 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I'm always baffled when people are reluctant to post city pairs of their itineraries.
TerryK, davetravels, OHDL1 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I'm always baffled when people are reluctant to post city pairs of their itineraries.
Same here.

Also baffles me that some Delta agents still don’t know the SDC rules both when calling in and via Twitter. I mean it’s even posted on their own website.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

details:
xxx->DTW->GRR

Original- purchased first class ticket for entire itinerary, in I Class. Original routing was xxx->DTW->GRR leaving xxx at 550 PM, arriving in DTW at 720 PM, leaving DTW at 10:50 PM and arriving in GRR AT 1130 PM.

At T-24, was able to SDC xxx->DTW to leave xxx at 1:15 PM, getting into DTW at 3:00 PM. I now had a 8.5 hr layover but plenty of options to SDS on several earlier flights, which is what I was attempting when I got to DTW.

When i I arrived in DTW at 3:00 PM, I went straight to the DTW sky club. A seat on DTW -> GRR at 4:15 PM had opened in F (3 actually). The agent refused, as stated above. I left the club, called Platinum desk, and got the response as also stated above; they did the SDC but only as “a one time courtesy.”
Is xxx domestic (=USA) or not?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is xxx domestic (=USA) or not?

In the OP's original post, it stated that they started the day off in ALB with a SDC so I assume that is what XXX is.
Air Houston likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.