FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Question - How many miles for Dom Perignon at Sky Club? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1966248-question-how-many-miles-dom-perignon-sky-club.html)

foxymophandlema Apr 20, 2019 4:25 pm

Question - How many miles for Dom Perignon at Sky Club?

Hi There,

Hoping someone could help me answer this, but how many miles is it for a bottle of Dom Perignon at the Delta Sky Club bar?

Last time I was there I remember it being either 7,500 or 12,500 miles? I'm not flying so much anymore and the next time I'll be there will be for my honeymoon and I need to figure out if I should redeem my choice benefit for miles so I have enough.

Thanks for your help!

FlyinHawaiian Apr 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk and congratulations on your pending nuptials!

Here's a recent post showing a copy of the menu from the SkyClub; the cost is 12,500 miles for a 750ml bottle. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30690068-post9.html

cfischer Apr 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by foxymophandlema (Post 31020986)
Hi There,

Hoping someone could help me answer this, but how many miles is it for a bottle of Dom Perignon at the Delta Sky Club bar?

Last time I was there I remember it being either 7,500 or 12,500 miles? I'm not flying so much anymore and the next time I'll be there will be for my honeymoon and I need to figure out if I should redeem my choice benefit for miles so I have enough.

Thanks for your help!

bottle? 7500? ... if they were I'd be shopping at Skyclub every week :)

Generally these are considered o.k. values for miles, yet 12500 miles are a bit high IMO

foxymophandlema Apr 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 31021032)
bottle? 7500? ... if they were I'd be shopping at Skyclub every week :)

Bottle... Looks like it is 12,500 miles a bottle. Thanks!

gitismatt Apr 20, 2019 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by foxymophandlema (Post 31021038)
Bottle... Looks like it is 12,500 miles a bottle. Thanks!

if delta is aiming to have 1 mile equal $0.01 I would say this is a fantastic value

sorry, meant to quote the person above

ijgordon Apr 20, 2019 5:38 pm

You get $0.02 of value at the bar, but of course that’s against the marked-up prices of the beverages. DP is I think usually about $160 at retail?

If if you’re going to treat yourself to a nice drink anyway, it’s not a terrible use of miles IMO.

acrophobia Apr 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31021151)
You get $0.02 of value at the bar, but of course that’s against the marked-up prices of the beverages. DP is I think usually about $160 at retail?

If if you’re going to treat yourself to a nice drink anyway, it’s not a terrible use of miles IMO.

Obviously depends heavily on the year. In NYC, where I live, the 2008 and 2009 seem to be the most readily available, and they are usually $170-$190. $160 is doable if you know where to go and are willing to put in the effort. The SkyMiles price is one of the best redemptions available, if you are a champagne person and have time to enjoy it in the lounge.

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Apr 20, 2019 6:29 pm

Also, don’t get duped by the bottle offer. While it’s cool to have the bottle, it’s more economical to order by the glass. You’ll get more Dom for the same amount of SkyPesos. Just make sure the bartender is opening a new bottle for you so you don’t get rotting Dom.

jeet Apr 20, 2019 6:54 pm

'Miles for Champagne' is the best value you will get for your skymiles. Heck I'd even recommend buying few thousand miles alongwith your ticket if you are short
In SC, nothing beats the cool factor of Dom in an ice bucket on your table!
Wait staff will give you extra attention and will be happy to pour for you.. maybe that depends on the location SEA staff is fantastic

PeterK Apr 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by jeet (Post 31021283)
Wait staff will give you extra attention and will be happy to pour for you.. maybe that depends on the location SEA staff is fantastic

TIL: The random Skymiles I've had building up over the years can either get me 1/2 of a domestic coach ticket to some podunk town on a Tuesday or turn me into a high roller making it rain for bottle service.

This definitely puts the 'Club' in SkyClub!

BenA Apr 20, 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by jeet (Post 31021283)
'Miles for Champagne' is the best value you will get for your skymiles. Heck I'd even recommend buying few thousand miles alongwith your ticket if you are short

Second the recommendation to pop your bottles in the SEA SC. Four of us did a side by side Krug vs Dom tasting a few years back and the staff were super into it, bringing us two glasses for everyone and being really helpful getting everything set up. 👍

(score - Dom 3, Krug 1. I was the outlier; I liked the slightly more complex oaky flavor of Krug, while everyone else was all about the smooth precision of the Dom...)

howtofreetravel Apr 21, 2019 7:00 am

How much would you tip on a bottle of dom?

jeet Apr 21, 2019 7:18 am

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel (Post 31022180)
How much would you tip on a bottle of dom?

I'd go with 20 but then I've been accused of being cheap before...

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31021552)
Second the recommendation to pop your bottles in the SEA SC. Four of us did a side by side Krug vs Dom tasting a few years back and the staff were super into it, bringing us two glasses for everyone and being really helpful getting everything set up. 👍

(score - Dom 3, Krug 1. I was the outlier; I liked the slightly more complex oaky flavor of Krug, while everyone else was all about the smooth precision of the Dom...)

hmmm... 2 bottles for 4, not bad.. I hope you got a porsche ride afterwards instead of stumbling to your gate supporting each other.:D:D:cool:

BenA Apr 21, 2019 8:09 am

Originally Posted by jeet (Post 31022208)
I'd go with 20 but then I've been accused of being cheap before...

hmmm... 2 bottles for 4, not bad.. I hope you got a porsche ride afterwards instead of stumbling to your gate supporting each other.:D:D:cool:

Does the sad little train to the S gates count?

(We spread out the festivities over several hours and kept a ready supply of snacks at the table to keep things from getting too crazy.)

ijgordon Apr 21, 2019 9:29 am

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31021552)

Hmm, frankly not a fan of either (for the price). Esp the Dom 2009 which we had with caviar this past NYE :). I don’t like Moët at all either, so maybe it’s a style thing.
My current favorite is the Taittinger Comtes de C (similar price range), and I also really like LP Grand Siecle, for even less.