Help with upgrade question

Old Apr 20, 19, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Help with upgrade question

Long story short, I have a flight from Hawaii to SLC to ATL and was booked a Comfort plus seat (W) flying alone. On the SLC to ATL, I'm stuck with a middle seat. I am a novice flyer and have no upgrade status. At this time, there are 9 first class seats available. Will it be possible to change my middle seat to a window or aisle seat if someone is upgraded to first class that just so happens to be in Comfort plus? If so how and what should I be on the look out for? Thanks!

Old Apr 20, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: Yes
Certainly possible. Upgrade window for elites opens at 5 days out from flight. Although, depending on how far out your flight is out, there may not be many seats left for upgrades. It's a hub-to-hub route and there are likely a fair number of first class seat purchases. ExpertFlyer has a free seat alert feature -- https://www.expertflyer.com/
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:27 am

At the gate, I have almost perfect success in getting a better seat when I fly confirmed. Itís all about understanding the timeline of gate agent seating changes.

First, continue to monitor the seat map regularly until youíre at the gate.

Once youíre at the gate, simply ask the gate agent about what time theyíll start clearing upgrades. Usually itís D-40.

The nice thing is seat control isnít usually taken until D-30, so you have a 10-minute window when the GA is moving C+ passengers to F while you can also move yourself. When upgrades start clearing, refresh the seat map continuously and try to poach a newly vacant and better seat.

You could also ask the GA to move you when better seats are free, but itís unlikely depending on how busy the GA is.
hortkie and Spiff like this.
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xliioper View Post
Certainly possible. Upgrade window for elites opens at 5 days out from flight. Although, depending on how far out your flight is out, there may not be many seats left for upgrades. It's a hub-to-hub route and there are likely a fair number of first class seat purchases. ExpertFlyer has a free seat alert feature --
The SLC to ATL part of flight is on 4-28. I will sign up for the alert and keep an eye out. Thank you.
Old Apr 20, 19, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets View Post
At the gate, I have almost perfect success in getting a better seat when I fly confirmed. Itís all about understanding the timeline of gate agent seating changes.

First, continue to monitor the seat map regularly until youíre at the gate.

Once youíre at the gate, simply ask the gate agent about what time theyíll start clearing upgrades. Usually itís D-40.

The nice thing is seat control isnít usually taken until D-30, so you have a 10-minute window when the GA is moving C+ passengers to F while you can also move yourself. When upgrades start clearing, refresh the seat map continuously and try to poach a newly vacant and better seat.

You could also ask the GA to move you when better seats are free, but itís unlikely depending on how busy the GA is.
I will definitely be on the look out. Thank you for the great information.
Old Apr 20, 19, 12:19 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk and the Delta Forum, Wdwglitzy.
Wdwglitzy likes this.
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Wdwglitzy View Post
The SLC to ATL part of flight is on 4-28.
Diamond and Platinum upgrades from Main Cabin and Comfort + to First Class should start very close to the 5 day / 120 hour in advance mark. You can start looking for open seats on April 23rd around the the same time the flight is scheduled to leave SLC.

Welcome!
Old Apr 21, 19, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
Diamond and Platinum upgrades from Main Cabin and Comfort + to First Class should start very close to the 5 day / 120 hour in advance mark. You can start looking for open seats on April 23rd around the the same time the flight is scheduled to leave SLC.

Welcome!
One more question, I have a bulkhead seat from HLN to SLC. There are preferred window seats available. Is there anyway to get one of those seats since my ticket is comfort plus?