Delayed flight options

Old Apr 19, 19, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diam 2MM, HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Delayed flight options

Iím flying tonight LAX-CVG-DCA and got a message that the CVG-DCA flight tomorrow morning is delayed about 45 minutes, looks like either a late arriving plane or crew rest issue with a plane arriving CVG the night before.
Iíd paid FCM to assure FC on the red eye and the CVG-DCA flight upgraded to FC at 5 days out.
The rebook options Delta is offering are really interesting ólots of options most in D1 and FC or just in FC. I guess paying the FCM for LAX-CVG pushed that into place.
The only ones that get me in before the original rescheduled itin though ó D1 to JFK, then FC LGA-DCA. Iím guessing Delta would give me a cab voucher, but for me dragging a bag from JFK to LGA for 6 hours in a D1 seat vs 4.5 hours in a FC seat isnít worth it.
Some of the other options are LAX-SFO/SEA/LAS/SLC/SJC-MSP/DTW/ATL-DCA. But these would all get me in mid-afternoon instead of mid morning.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF Silver, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT
Lucky you. Take the D1 option ASAP and pay $30 for the cab to LGA.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
What about nonstop? Delta 1 service with lay flat on LAX/DCA.
Old Apr 19, 19, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
What about nonstop? Delta 1 service with lay flat on LAX/DCA.
It was on the list, but east bound is a morning flight. Iíd have to spend tonight in LA and fly to DCA at 8 am Sat.
Iím on my way home after 10 days of travel using the KL LAX-BKK deal.
Old Apr 19, 19, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
I’d take D1 to JFK and slum in in Y or C+ for the 45 minutes JFK-DCA
SuperG1955 and Duke787 like this.
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
So, to be clear, you FCMed only one segment, and the tool is presenting you with options thatíd book you into F for the entirety of your journey?
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings View Post
So, to be clear, you FCMed only one segment, and the tool is presenting you with options thatíd book you into F for the entirety of your journey?
Yes, paid FCM for LAX-CVG, second segment had already upgraded. Most offers were for D1/FC for full trip.

Given the weather forecast for Sat, 100% rain and high winds at JFK and with 1 runway closed, I stayed on my original trip through CVG. Currently looks like maybe 90 minutes late. As I wrote 3 1/2 hours in FC vs 5 1/2 hours in D1, not that different, and I have lots of Tumi amenity kits!

If the LAX-DCA D1 would have worked without staying the night at LAX, that was tempting.

Overall, Iím pleased with the way Delta offered to handle this.
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I’d take D1 to JFK and slum in in Y or C+ for the 45 minutes JFK-DCA
First 2 JFK-DCA flights were completely sold out. Nothing available until mid-afternoon Saturday.
Old Apr 20, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: DL FO, Marriott LT Plat
good call on avoiding JFK. Last week, they waited until planes were doing missed approaches on the 22s for wind shear, before they switched to a single runway (31L) for both arrivals and departures. Went from nothing to a 5-hour GDP in a New York Minute.
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
The rebook options Delta is offering are really interesting... Some of the other options are LAX-SFO/SEA/LAS/SLC/SJC-MSP/DTW/ATL-DCA.
Double connects, eh? Are those even permitted routes by your fare component(s), or did they just toss the routing rules?
Old Apr 20, 19, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
Iím flying tonight LAX-CVG-DCA and got a message that the CVG-DCA flight tomorrow morning is delayed about 45 minutes, looks like either a late arriving plane or crew rest issue with a plane arriving CVG the night before.
Iíd paid FCM to assure FC on the red eye and the CVG-DCA flight upgraded to FC at 5 days out.
The rebook options Delta is offering are really interesting ólots of options most in D1 and FC or just in FC. I guess paying the FCM for LAX-CVG pushed that into place.
The only ones that get me in before the original rescheduled itin though ó D1 to JFK, then FC LGA-DCA. Iím guessing Delta would give me a cab voucher, but for me dragging a bag from JFK to LGA for 6 hours in a D1 seat vs 4.5 hours in a FC seat isnít worth it.
Some of the other options are LAX-SFO/SEA/LAS/SLC/SJC-MSP/DTW/ATL-DCA. But these would all get me in mid-afternoon instead of mid morning.
What are your goals and priorities?
Old Apr 20, 19, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What are your goals and priorities?

if you would read through the entire thread before replying to the first post, you’d see that your question is totally irrelevant, since OP has already reported the outcome (as well as some of his thought processes )
Old Apr 20, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
Slightly OT, but gotta share it with the community.
I previously had a 5mins delay and was offered D1 even thought it was a PS ticket.
So keep your eyes peeled on the app. Especially for those not in F/J.
Old Apr 21, 19, 2:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Double connects, eh? Are those even permitted routes by your fare component(s), or did they just toss the routing rules?
they generally toss the routing rules during IROPS, and also permit connections through weird/nonhub airports. Once I had a PHX-LAX Changed to PHX-SAN-LAS-LAX* due to IROPS using the tool described.

*or something similarly indirect and 3-legged. Iíd have to check, this was 2015
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I'm not surprised an agent would toss the routing rules and construct something but having the app or web do it is interesting. If you have an airport pair that is pretty well served and allow double-connects the number of permitted routings expands very, very quickly. Do they then get ranked by total travel time? Closeness to original departure time? Arrival time? Or does it just display a couple of hundred available routings?

Search this Thread