Wiki Posts
Search

Question on D1 and choice in booking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Question on D1 and choice in booking

Hi, I'm new to flying J/F on DL (I've been EXP which is the DM equivalent on AA for many years). I don't see this from my thread searches, so creating a new post.

I'm going to fly SLC-xxx-MUC (Munich) RT in (paid) J and of course want D1 as opposed to some non-flat seat. From reading some threads it seems there's differences in D1 (e.g. 767-300, 330, etc.), and there is something called Premium (business) that isn't D1. Given I'm in SLC, I can have the XXX transit city choice... and choose between having both segments DL (e.g. use ATL) or have one be codeshare (e.g. use AMS).

Given that my cities offer all that flexibility in routing, and understanding other variables (seat type, seat facing choice if any, longhaul segment is often best as second segment for non-sleepers, staying on DL metal means avoiding 22" vs. 20" roller fight for keeping carryon, etc.)... what are the critical aspects to understand regarding D1 seat differences and other variables in booking my routing?

Oh, if it matters, I'm GM.

Thanks!

Oh, also, in reading some threads before posting, I came across some acronyms that I wouldn't mind knowing (since I fly DL more and more), and FT and google searches didn't help me, what are these?:

SDS
DEACs
FO (with regard to status, like maybe FO is less than GM/PM/DM?... maybe a lowly non-status?)

Thx

Last edited by canyonleo; Apr 19, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by canyonleo
SDS
DEACs
FO (with regard to status, like maybe FO is less than GM/PM/DM?... maybe a lowly non-status?)
Same Day Standby.
DEAC-unknown to me
FO Silver Medallion. Not SM because it is the same as SkyMiles. Formerly Flying Orchid.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I'm going to fly SLC-xxx-MUC (Munich) RT in (paid) J and of course want D1 as opposed to some non-flat seat. From reading some threads it seems there's differences in D1 (e.g. 767-300, 330, etc.), and there is something called Premium (business) that isn't D1. Given I'm in SLC, I can have the XXX transit city choice... and choose between having both segments DL (e.g. use ATL) or have one be codeshare (e.g. use AMS).
All Delta D1 seats lie flat. Almost all are direct aisle access (except the narrowbody 757 which probably won't show up on your itineraries). Different planes have newer or older seats, there are various threads discussing that in this forum. The A350 and refurbed 777 have the newest seats, the 767s (and unrefurbed 777s) have the oldest.

Be ware of partner (JV) flights. AF still has angled lie flat on some planes (all A380s and some 777s), but their true lie flat ("BEST") is quite good. KLM is all lie flat, but many without direct aisle access, but with Delft Houses. VS is all lie flat, but mostly dated configurations.

"Premium" presumably means DL "Premium Select", which is the Premium Economy product similar to that which AA is installing. It's on very few DL aircraft. VS and AF both have Premium Economy on most/all of their longhaul fleets. This is not a Business Class product, it is basically domestic First.

Given that my cities offer all that flexibility in routing, and understanding other variables (seat type, seat facing choice if any, longhaul segment is often best as second segment for non-sleepers, staying on DL metal means avoiding 22" vs. 20" roller fight for keeping carryon, etc.)... what are the critical aspects to understand regarding D1 seat differences and other variables in booking my routing?
I'd probably opt for connecting in AMS to maximize the eastbound longhaul. While immigration into the EU can sometimes be slow, you can usually use kiosks on the return. There is no security check in either direction at AMS from/to the US. Lounges are meh though. (CDG lounges are nicer, especially on the non-Schengen side. There is a security check going from the US to EU, but not the other way.)

I've never had any problems with (reasonable) roller bag size on any of AF/DL/KL/VS, especially as a J passenger and/or STE+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.