Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Selecting Comfort+ after Travel Agent booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

I'm looking at flights and DL is pricing out a bit cheaper than UA is. This itinerary isn't bookable online (involves a second carrier that's not in the usual bunch), so I'll be getting a TA to book it. If they book as a straight economy purchase, is there anything stopping me from going online to my booking in order to select seats into Comfort+ (not premium select)? What's giving me hesitancy is on the DL website, it's showing as a separate cabin (even though it isn't).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Productivity
I'm looking at flights and DL is pricing out a bit cheaper than UA is. This itinerary isn't bookable online (involves a second carrier that's not in the usual bunch), so I'll be getting a TA to book it. If they book as a straight economy purchase, is there anything stopping me from going online to my booking in order to select seats into Comfort+ (not premium select)? What's giving me hesitancy is on the DL website, it's showing as a separate cabin (even though it isn't).
Yes, Delta sells Comfort+ as a different fare and class of service than coach, it's not just another coach seat that you pay a fee to sit in. So, moving to Comfort+ will be a change in fare class. What I'm not sure about is with the TA booking is whether or not you will be able to upgrade online in the seat map. This is a new feature that allows you to select an upgraded seat and pay with money or miles, but I don't know how the TA booking will impact that.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is the OP planning to pay for C+ or hoping to get it as a free elite "upgrade"?

I suspect that part of the answer might depend on whether the TA sells a special (bulk/consolidator) fare versus a published fare.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is the OP planning to pay for C+ or hoping to get it as a free elite "upgrade"?

I suspect that part of the answer might depend on whether the TA sells a special (bulk/consolidator) fare versus a published fare.
A TA books most of my flights and it has no impact on upgrades or the ability to purchase C+ after the fact.

I can't speak to bulk/consolidator fares though.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
You can always have the booking done by the TA and if you cannot book/upgrade into comfort+, you have 24 hrs to cancel and try something different.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
All my corporate travel routes through a TA, specifically AMEX GBT (via Concur), and I've never had an issue with C+ (either with the option to buy when Silver or GM or upgrading from the list) or with upgrade as soon as the flight tickets (as PM)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
In my experience in using CWT as my corporate travel agent, after I make the booking it takes approximately 25-45 minutes to ticket, then a few minutes on the delta side for the upgrade engine to process to upgrade to C+ (assuming seats are available). All told, about an hour after I book through the travel agent, it will show a comfort plus seat on the Delta app.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
If OP could offer more details, OP would get a more informed response. Is OP a DL elite? Or, does OP intend to buy C+? What is the "other airline" involved? Generally speaking, it is possible to buy or upgrade to C+ on DL flights but there are edge cases where it isn't.
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Buy into C+, no SkyTeam status. Other airline is KC. It would not be a bulk/consolidator fare.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Buy into C+, no SkyTeam status. Other airline is KC. It would not be a bulk/consolidator fare.
You should be able to go online and pay to upgrade to C+. If that does not work you could try calling. Delta might try to charge you a $50 fee in addition to whatever you pay to upgrade because they will be taking over a TA ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Really, KC? Air Astana?

I believe you will need to have the Delta segment Delta-marketed, not something like 'AF xxxx operated by Delta'.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I've got a current ticket through Viking Cruises (likely bulk/consolidator rate that booked into V class) where it was pretty easy to buy C+ in either cash or miles on the transatlantic Delta-operated segments once the ticket went from reserved to conformed.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Really, KC? Air Astana?

I believe you will need to have the Delta segment Delta-marketed, not something like 'AF xxxx operated by Delta'.
Yes KC. As stated, not one of the standard connection partners.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
All my corporate travel routes through a TA, specifically AMEX GBT (via Concur), and I've never had an issue with C+ (either with the option to buy when Silver or GM or upgrading from the list) or with upgrade as soon as the flight tickets (as PM)
You’ve “never” had an issue?
Until fairly recently, it was not posssible on a TA-issued ticket to pay to upgrade booking classes without calling DL, and having them take over the ticket for $50. Maybe you don’t consider that “an issue”, but I do.
Now you can just select the seat from the seat map in any upgraded cabin, and DL.com will price the difference for you and you can confirm it, using $ or miles.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
You’ve “never” had an issue?
Until fairly recently, it was not posssible on a TA-issued ticket to pay to upgrade booking classes without calling DL, and having them take over the ticket for $50. Maybe you don’t consider that “an issue”, but I do.
Now you can just select the seat from the seat map in any upgraded cabin, and DL.com will price the difference for you and you can confirm it, using $ or miles.
Never had an issue.

The times I've upfared, DL has never charged me the $50 to take over the ticket, just the cost difference between the corporate Y rate and the new fare.

The only time they've charged me is when I go through them to change flights during non-IRROPs situations instead of going through AMEX GBT (and I only do that in rare circumstances where I need to change something on the spot and don't have time to deal with AMEX getting in the middle).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.