Priority checkin or not?

Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Priority checkin or not?

Im a Skyteam Elite member with Korean.
Im trying to determine if I qualify for Priority Checkin in the Sky Priority lane? The Skyteam page says I do, the Delta webpage is a little ambiguous and Ive had varied success at the desk.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold
Per https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...fits.html/#stb

SkyTeam Elite members should be entitled to Priority Checkin (SkyPriority Lane)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Priority Check-in at Sky Priority line for most airports -- however, some airports have a dedicated line for Silver Medallions/Skyteam Elite that is separate and Sky Priority lane is reserved for Skyteam ElitePlus. However, no Sky Priority access for security or boarding --

Priority Boarding: With our boarding order, Medallion Members are invited to board early on most flights. Via our Delta Sky Priority lane, all passengers in Delta One, Delta Premium Select or First Class, and all Diamond Medallion Members, will be invited to board (DL One/Diamnd, Prem/Diamnd, or First/Diamond). All Platinum and Gold Medallion Members, SkyTeam ElitePlus customers, and Virgin Australia Velocity Platinum and Gold members are then invited to board with Sky Priority (SKY). Silver Medallion Members, SkyTeam Elite, and Virgin Australia Velocity Silver members can begin boarding after that using the Sky Priority boarding lane when traveling in Main Cabin (Main1).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Use the line that appears to be better staffed and moving better.
Sadly, that is not always the SP or STE line in many stations.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyones replies so far.
This is the sign I find at MSY checkin. Theres regular checkin and then this lane.

Sky Priority sign at checkin

Ive used this lane a few times before but the last two times, the clerk and the Station Manager have told me Im in the wrong lane for checkin.
The STE benefits indicate Priority Checkin. But this excerpt from Deltas website seems to indicate something different?

Delta website description of who is Sky Priority

Im really confused and starting to get annoyed.
Deltas website indicated their Silver Members STE status and all the benefits, but if the above excerpt shows then they dont want to extend some of the privileges to others?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LittleBird
Im really confused and starting to get annoyed.
Deltas website indicated their Silver Members STE status and all the benefits, but if the above excerpt shows then they dont want to extend some of the privileges to others?
Most of the confusion is probably in the wording. Think of "Sky Priority" as a privilege package that includes priority check-in, priority baggage tagging, priority security (at some airports), and priority boarding. This full "Sky Priority" is only available to Skymiles Gold, Platinum, and Diamond, and to Skyteam Elite Plus. That being said (and as the sign in your picture clearly shows), Delta Silver and Skyteam Elite are allowed to use the Sky Priority check-in line, but they will not receive the rest of the Sky Priority benefits. That's why at some of Delta's larger hubs they have separated into a true Sky Priority check-in, and a separate Silver/STElite check-in.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks recurve,
You're right. I think at JFK for example they have the extra Silver Medallion and STE checkin line, MSY is just too small for that.
I spoke to the red coat at MSY this morning and she was unmoving as well. Do I have any way to get these people to realize their mistake do you think, or I just need to suck it up?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Thanks recurve,
You're right. I think at JFK for example they have the extra Silver Medallion and STE checkin line, MSY is just too small for that.
I spoke to the red coat at MSY this morning and she was unmoving as well. Do I have any way to get these people to realize their mistake do you think, or I just need to suck it up?
Am I understanding that the airport where the sign you posted exists is claiming you can't use that lane on a consistent basis?

If that is the case I would ask the red coat to accompany me to the sign and tell me what I am misunderstanding. It clearly says you can use it.

If the sign didn't say it, I would probably suck it up, although I don't think it is ambiguous at all. No Silver/STE lane, then you get to use SP lane.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by defrosted
Am I understanding that the airport where the sign you posted exists is claiming you can't use that lane on a consistent basis?

If that is the case I would ask the red coat to accompany me to the sign and tell me what I am misunderstanding. It clearly says you can use it.

If the sign didn't say it, I would probably suck it up, although I don't think it is ambiguous at all. No Silver/STE lane, then you get to use SP lane.
Correct. Its New Orleans. I fly out of there twice a month w baggage so its an issue for me, as opposed to a one off where Ill ignore it.
I spoke to Delta via phone and the operator went through all her paperwork and came to the same conclusion; if not written and if have separate lines like JFK then no but since written I have a case. The problem is getting staff to admit an error...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:19 pm

I know it's not the exact same case, but on a couple occasions I was initially denied access to the KLM Sky Priority line as a Silver Medallion, and I simply said I was a Skyteam Elite and pointed at the sign where it says Skyteam Elite. I imagine you will have better success trying that than you would trying to get a staff to admit they are simply wrong? I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't let you into the line as a Skyteam Elite aside from not knowing what that means, and in that case I assume pointing at the sign should be sufficient.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Recurve
I know it's not the exact same case, but on a couple occasions I was initially denied access to the KLM Sky Priority line as a Silver Medallion, and I simply said I was a Skyteam Elite and pointed at the sign where it says Skyteam Elite. I imagine you will have better success trying that than you would trying to get a staff to admit they are simply wrong? I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't let you into the line as a Skyteam Elite aside from not knowing what that means, and in that case I assume pointing at the sign should be sufficient.
Thanks Recurve. This is the thing, I showed them the sign, I showed them my Korean Air Morning Calm card w STE logo on there and even when the red coat saw that, she STILL told me this line is not for you sir.
One thing they both kept saying was youre main cabin which Im guessing meant they really just are ignorant about the combined line of Sky Priority and Silver/STE.
Im really banging my head against the wall on this one...

Last edited by LittleBird; Apr 20, 2019 at 3:57 am Reason: additional remark
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond

Thanks Recurve. This is the thing, I showed them the sign, I showed them my Korean Air Morning Calm card w STE logo on there and even when the red coat saw that, she STILL told me this line is not for you sir.
One thing they both kept saying was youre main cabin which Im guessing meant they really just are ignorant about the combined line of Sky Priority and Silver/STE.
Does your boarding pass not say Skyteam Elite? I would show them that while pointing to the sign. The words match how is this not the line for me?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:01 pm

This is consistent with some of my experience that staff seem to believe Sky Priority is for First/Business passengers only, and perhaps this is only because you're at MSY and not at a Delta hub, but if they are really unwilling to take five seconds to read their own sign then my only suggestion would be to email Delta customer service and complain, and hopefully they'll let the MSY ground staff know. Not sure how else they could fix this.
defrosted and LittleBird like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by defrosted
Does your boarding pass not say Skyteam Elite? I would show them that while pointing to the sign. The words match how is this not the line for me?
This is an interesting point you make about whether my boarding pass shows STE or not, because since I have been having these problems my boarding pass does NOT show this. The first time it happened I called Delta to check and the operator assured me as soon as she pulled up my res she could see my status, but for some reason its not being printed. I wish Id saved older passes because Im sure it used to say this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
LittleBird, check your Private Messages.
LittleBird likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.