Search

Basic Economy and unaccompanied minors

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Basic Economy and unaccompanied minors

What are two things no one on FT likes!

But seriously, my kids need to fly alone. Given the $150 UM fee, any reason I shouldn't save a few bucks and book them in Basic Economy?

United states on their website that UM's flying Basic Economy DO receive a seat assignment. I can't find anything similar from Delta.

Anyone with experience?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Doesn't every basic economy passenger receive a seat assignment? It is just a question of when.

Is your concern avoiding a middle seat or IDB? Contract of Carriage has a specific exclusion for UAMs in the IDB policy.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

2 kids, best if they can sit together. To clarify, United offers advance seat assignment to UMs flying Basic Economy. Cannot find any info at all about Delta, and they're the only option ATL-MHT.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by PDXpress
2 kids, best if they can sit together. To clarify, United offers advance seat assignment to UMs flying Basic Economy. Cannot find any info at all about Delta, and they're the only option ATL-MHT.
DL typically holds a few seats at the rear of most aircraft for gate assignment - keeping two UM kids traveling together seated together would be high on their list. No guarantees, but I'd wager they'd sit together if booked on a BE fare.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:14 pm

Anecdotally, I've often seen UMs seated at the rear of the plane to be near to the flight attendants back there. It wouldn't surprise me if they handle this at check-in and provide them these or similar seats. This is not only for their sake but the convenience of the crew, which I imagine the gate and check-in agents would be keen to honor.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I believe you can only book UM flights over the phone. If that's true, just ask about this on the call. Note, it's $150 each way, but the fee is good for up to 4 kids, so you'll only need to pay once.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:28 am

Our children fly as UMs occasionally. We've sent them on several different airlines. They always get a seat assignment at the very front or back of the plane, depending on the airline. The UM fee also includes a snack on an airline like Frontier where it is not free. So basically no matter what class you book, they should get a seat and a snack AFAIK.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by g289t
Our children fly as UMs occasionally. We've sent them on several different airlines. They always get a seat assignment at the very front or back of the plane, depending on the airline. The UM fee also includes a snack on an airline like Frontier where it is not free. So basically no matter what class you book, they should get a seat and a snack AFAIK.
Careful here. I don't think DL gives free snacks to UMs, nor does DL accept cash on board, so they should have a prepaid credit card or something similar with them for minor purchases and emergencies.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
A little perspective here...

I'll say upfront that I don't have any children, but if I understand the situation, the OP is about to place what are arguably his/her most valuable assets (his/her children) in a less than ideal circumstance to save $150. Really? Then again, I never understood the people that will pay $200 to have their car detailed but won't regularly spend $39 to have the oil changed.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doesn't it make sense to call DL and ask? If the answer is that seats are assigned, go ahead and book and have the seats assigned. If not, then you have to make a judgment.

No charge for phone booking and you can't book UM online, so I would not focus on what some other carrier may have done in some other situation at some other time.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecaarch
I'll say upfront that I don't have any children, but if I understand the situation, the OP is about to place what are arguably his/her most valuable assets (his/her children) in a less than ideal circumstance to save $150. Really? Then again, I never understood the people that will pay $200 to have their car detailed but won't regularly spend $39 to have the oil changed.
The question is: do unaccompanied minors receive any value from buying up from Basic to regular Economy?

Do you like to pay extra money to receive nothing?
langbr01, mayhem and trooper like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:59 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by PDXpress
The question is: do unaccompanied minors receive any value from buying up from Basic to regular Economy?

Do you like to pay extra money to receive nothing?
No, the will likely board early, so they can be introduced to the flight attendants and take their seats. They will not separate 2 minors traveling alone. In my opinion, it is worth saving the money. If you are still concerned, call Delta, explain your situation and I am absolutely sure they will accommodate your needs. The way parents are these days, airlines can't afford to mess around with things like this.
Also, Delta does a really good job with UMs.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:01 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by ecaarch
You are not correct. The OP is fine paying the $150/person each way fee for a UM, but is wondering if there would be any reason to pay extra for Main Cabin as opposed to Basic Economy. Regardless of the "cabin" (I know they are the same, just different benefits or restrictions), Delta will take care of unaccompanied minors.
obscure2k and langbr01 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:15 pm

Unless OP firmly objects, Delta will 99% seat UMs in the back of the plane (to be as close to an FA as possible), and together.

I wouldn’t worry about seating issues at all when booking UMs in basic economy. Their seats are handled. They’ll board first. The only consideration with a UM on an E fare is ticket flexibility. None of the passenger experience is different.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Careful here. I don't think DL gives free snacks to UMs, nor does DL accept cash on board, so they should have a prepaid credit card or something similar with them for minor purchases and emergencies.
I'm not talking sandwiches or anything; just something like beverages and pretzels or cookies. Delta serves that to everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.