Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Questions on my Asia strategy (USA-SGN/REP-USA)

Questions on my Asia strategy (USA-SGN/REP-USA)

Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium

My follow-up questions:
1. Is it a "good" idea to split tickets like this? I've never done it (I know people do it all the time - I read the trip report section ;-) But it's a little scary to me) Outbound, we'd have to stay overnight in Seoul (DL arrives 16:30, Vietnam Air flights are at 10:15 or 17:55 - I think it's too tight to make that flight so staying overnight is best) On the return, we'd arrive at ICN from HAN at 5:55 and the DL flt is 10:35)
2. Would we be able to check bags through the entire trip or need to pick up and recheck in Seoul? Inbound, we're considering the transit hotel so as not to leave the airport - good idea or not and does it impact baggage?

You have a very good plan. Vietnam Airlines is a great airline—wonderful customer service, keep to schedule, and decent food. The Blossom lounges they use are not great but that
is minor. I recently did something similar where I flew them from Singapore to REP after flying DL to Singapore and then flew them back from Saigon to connect. You will not be able to check bags through to REP. However, if you are going to leave the airport in ICN anyway for the night, you can check them to ICN, pick them up and then recheck on VN the next morning. Going home, however, you would do carryon. As far as ICN, there is a lot of shopping available. I think, with your schedule, I would leave the airport for the night. You may want to take the later flight that day to have a little time to explore Seoul. Be prepared for it to be really hot in August in Cambodia.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
One last thing. REP does not have jetways, only stairs. Just be prepared that you will have to navigate those with carryons.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You don't cite your U.S. origin. This makes a big difference. If you happen to be on the West Coast there are ready bargains. Rather than messing around with separate tickets, possibly needing to recheck bags, separate baggage allowance by cabin, multiple change fees, and IROPs difficulty, there are r/t REP business tickets for less than $3K from LAX (and less than CDN $3K from YVR), even restricting travel to just two segments each way. A China Eastern business ticket will score well in Delta MQM. Find dates with cheap r/t then check for your open jaw faring. Origin, month of departure (for advance purchase restrictions) and length of stay are all important.
RDU is my home airport (as someone earlier noted, Hoya = DC, Heel = NC ;-) so east coast), August/Sept is when we're traveling, and Skyteam options all >$4000 business per person (and that's to ICN or NRT, so would still have to do the add-ons to SGN and REP) so more than I want to spend. I did a flexible date search too and found almost no variation over a 2 month period (our travel time period is pretty specific as we're doing a river cruise - we haven't booked the cruise so we could choose different weeks, but we know we want to go in August....) Heck, NON skyteam options for business are all >$4000 as well....I just checked EVA JFK-BKK roundtrip as someone suggested up thread and they were ~$2300 per person in premium economy, $5300 in business...

We're not worried about the weather in Vietnam or Cambodia - we did a SIN-HKG cruise a couple years ago with 6 days in Singapore ahead of time - the first day in Singapore was, um, "warm", but we adapted pretty quickly. Lots of water, rest when we need to - it's all good! ;-)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I seem to recall that China Airlines through Taipei had the cheapest business class so perhaps not too surprising another Taiwan airline also has good pricing.
If the price works for you, go with CI business class and skip ICN. Great airline, excellent in flight J product (esp. if you're on the A350), great connecting airport. Even better if you can work in a brief stopover in Taipei.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta
We flew Premium Economy on China Airlines to Vietnam in December and had a great experience. We were able to get a great fare that was in PE on JFK-Taipei on then in business on the connecting flights to and from Vietnam. Don't know if they fly to REP but worth looking into. We also flew some internal flights on Vietnam Airlines and I was very impressed. We were in their premium economy on a SGN-HAN flight and I would 100% fly that product long haul in the future. My H is a Delta Platinum Medallion and I'm gold and with both airlines we had no problem getting our Sky Team elite status recognized and getting the accompanying benefits, or getting our MQM/MQDs credited.

One thing to note about Korean Air, and what kept us away from it -- you can't get advance seat assignments if you purchase the flights through Delta, even with medallion status. Seats are assigned at the airport and we didn't want to risk ending up in a middle for a 15 hour flight. They also don't have true premium economy, and I think not even extra leg room seats (though I understand their standard economy pitch is equal to comfort plus on Delta).
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Originally Posted by Catherine Sumner

One thing to note about Korean Air, and what kept us away from it -- you can't get advance seat assignments if you purchase the flights through Delta, even with medallion status. Seats are assigned at the airport and we didn't want to risk ending up in a middle for a 15 hour flight. .
Maybe that has changed in the last few months? I have an upcoming SLC-ICN-ULN trip booked through Delta. The first leg is a Delta flight and the other 2 are KE flights. I was able to choose seats on all 3.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Originally Posted by Catherine Sumner
We flew Premium Economy on China Airlines to Vietnam in December and had a great experience. We were able to get a great fare that was in PE on JFK-Taipei on then in business on the connecting flights to and from Vietnam.
Note that depending on the specific Premium Economy fare class booked with China Airlines, the intra-Asia connection (both directions) will be either in business or economy. This post has specific details.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK you can put different classes of service together on DL tickets, including partners/codeshares, but you would generally need to call DL to do it. You'd essentially have broken fares as different classes normally can't be on the same fare component. However, the bigger issue is price. Only certain more expensive fares can be combined on the same PNR.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RealHJ
If the price works for you, go with CI business class and skip ICN. Great airline, excellent in flight J product (esp. if you're on the A350), great connecting airport. Even better if you can work in a brief stopover in Taipei.
Sorry if I haven't been clear. I haven't found ANY business class tickets under $4000 (ex-USA) and that is more than I am willing to pay (last search, actually, nothing less than $4500 and that was only for certain city pairs so my total price would be higher depending on my open-jaw legs....Most itineraries in business are closer to $6500) So business class from the US isn't an option for this trip which is why I've been exploring other combos ;-)

I will look at PE on China Airlines and see what those trips are but not sure it would be my first preference if it's not a TON cheaper than the DL/VN combo would be.

And even though I'd be flying through ICN with the itinerary I've been looking at, no flights are on Korean Air....

MSPEconomist - might be worth it for me to call Delta and see how they'd price my broken itinerary. Worst they can do is tell me it can't be done or it will be too $$ for me ;-) Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Sorry if I haven't been clear. I haven't found ANY business class tickets under $4000 (ex-USA) and that is more than I am willing to pay (last search, actually, nothing less than $4500 and that was only for certain city pairs so my total price would be higher depending on my open-jaw legs....Most itineraries in business are closer to $6500) So business class from the US isn't an option for this trip which is why I've been exploring other combos ;-)

I will look at PE on China Airlines and see what those trips are but not sure it would be my first preference if it's not a TON cheaper than the DL/VN combo would be.

And even though I'd be flying through ICN with the itinerary I've been looking at, no flights are on Korean Air....

MSPEconomist - might be worth it for me to call Delta and see how they'd price my broken itinerary. Worst they can do is tell me it can't be done or it will be too $$ for me ;-) Thanks.
Have you tried https://matrix.itasoftware.com ?

Put in the date ranges, and try to see what you can get for various city pairs and date ranges on SkyTeam (Alliance SkyTeam in advanced rules). May take a few minutes of trial and error to get the advanced search parameters right, but it's a very powerful tool. You can often also find better fares than you can get from delta.com, and then go to bookwithmatrix.com and book it right on delta.com. Well worth the time to get familiar with it.

Here's a tip: at first uncheck "Only show flights and prices with available seats" - that will show you all the fares that exist between your city pairs on the airlines/alliance and service class in your search, regardless of availability. Then check the box and look for what you know are some of the better fares that are available, to see if you can get it on some combination of dates that work for you.

Also of course try searching from CI, KE and other airline US gateway cities. If you don't mix in domestic DL connecting flights, pricing may be better (or sometimes, worse). Worth to check both ways, as getting domestic US connecting flights separately to, say, CI out of JFK, if you can get J in CI out of JFK for, say, $1500 less, may be well worth it.
Hoyaheel and rogo like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I tried ITA at the beginning of my searches. But I didn't try unchecking "available seats" so I could go back and try again....And for most of my searches (after the original where I got the "baseline" price for my actual itinerary) I have been using main gateways for the US. But I didn't try Canada (Canada isn't usually that affordable or easy to get to from RDU so I might lose any gain from a cheap TPAC fare there....)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd avoid EVA at the moment since they seem to be facing labor problems (unless someone wants the special "wiping" service which might not be forthcoming any more). ...
Thanks for the warning. I switched away from BR once I decided that the cheap C fares were what I would fly, and BR's were getting pricey.

One advantage of using MU (or the other mainland carriers, or VN) for flights to/in Asia. Fairly certain that the odds of a strike or near nill.

P.S. I find that wiping story disgusting.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:16 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mnbp
What do you mean by "split ticket"? Are you talking about having a single reservation that has two or three different airlines, or are you talking about two or more separate reservations (US-ICN on DL, and then ICN-xxx,yyy-ICN on a separate reservation)?

If on a single reservation, both DL and VN are SkyTeam members and DL will check baggage through on other SkyTeam member airlines if in a single reservation. Details:
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Note that Delta does NOT check baggage on separate tickets with all Skyteam partners, you’ll notice that VN, GA and CI are not on the list referenced above
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:30 am

I would forget about Skyteam and look at tickets form other gateways. E.g. ATL, NYC, WAS, YUL, YYZ, LAX - as there are sometimes good sub-$3000 fare to Asia. E.g LAX on Sichuan to most of Asia ranges from $2100-2500. Intra Asia travel is often dirt cheap. Or LAX to PNH for $2500. I see LAX to HAN/PNH on KE for around $3300

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.