Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL1931 DEN-SLC Tech Stop 4/17

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Allan38103
The only possible downside to all the required planning is when the "worst case" doesn't happen, and you end up with more fuel than you would have needed. Or the old saying goes, "the only time you can have too much fuel is when you're on fire".
Yep, also "The three most useless things in aviation are runway behind you, altitude above you, and fuel you left on the ground."
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Gate agents in DEN just announced Delta 1931 to SEA will make a tech stop in SLC due to fuel constraints. DEN-SEA is 1,024 miles. Equipment is 717-200, the usual aircraft for this route. Stated range on Delta.com is 1,510 miles. Current temperature in DEN is 58F. There has to be more to the story?
Range is just a number. Endurance is more applicable. The basic concept is: An aircraft has X gallons of fuel and burns Y gal/hr under specific power settings and conditions. X/Y gives endurance. You then have to calculate ground speed for the given conditions. Flight Distance/GS tells you how long it will take to go from A to B. You also have to factor in reserve requirements.

During my primary flight training I had to do this for every flight. Couldn't wait to take my check ride so I could use flight planning software!
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.