Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Which Hawaii air alt to Delta- United or Hawaiian AIr?

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold

I welcome any input as to reasons to fly Hawaiian air or United I have to book a flight LAX - Kuai and KON - LAX and I can't get there on time with Delta which only has long indirect flights or one late flight. I have no status on either and a third party is booking it. So I'm anticipating having to pay baggage fees and no mercy in anything comes up during travel. Not sure if theres a reason to go with one over the other if flight times are both about the same.

I haven't flown non-delta in 15 years and still have 600$ from an attempted American flight that went unused from interrupted travel during hurricane season last year.
Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:07 pm

I’d recommend Hawaiian for the cabin crew, much more pleasant and helpful than United IMO.
ryw, dealOCD and BenA like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
For me it would really depend on schedule more than anything else. Still I avoid, at all costs, the UA domestic 777s. They have call buttons in the armrests which result in a cacophony lasting the entire flight.
dealOCD likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Hawaiian... no question. Assuming schedules/prices are equivalent for you, Hawaiian is a much more pleasant experience on average.
dealOCD likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta to HNL then HA to Kauai would be my choice. Book as separate tickets to get the best deal.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Delta to HNL then HA to Kauai would be my choice. Book as separate tickets to get the best deal.
Eh, that adds at least two hours to a 5 hour trip, plus more if you're on separate tickets and have to recheck your bags. I recently flew HA LIH-LAX on their new A321 and was overall quite satisfied. I'd pick HA for their better timings (especially eastbound) over DL again. I also found HA's phone support OK even without status.

Note no IFE (very limited free streaming) on HA and no wifi yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.