Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No free bags with SkyMiles Amex card on my KL-operated flight?

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I recently got the Delta SkyMiles and then booked a Delta flight directly on the Delta homepage (DELTA 9347 and DELTA 9380).
To my understanding I should have free baggage which is one of the reasons why I got this card.

Now I checked in already and no word about free bags -- they want to charge 60$ per direction!

I see that these flights are operated by KLM (KL Flt 608 and KL Flt 605).

Can it have anything to do with that?

If yes: How can that be?
If no: What am I missing?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Is this a "Basic Economy" fare (E fare class)?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
I assume you mean you recently got one of the AmEx SkyMiles credit cards? If thats the case, the free checked bags should be reflected when you check in for your flight. The email confirmations after booking just show the same standard message for everyone.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
The OP has already checked in according to the post.

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
I believe the dl amex benefit only applies to domestic, delta operated flights.

Not international flights and especially not KLM operated flights. If they are KLM operated, expect to pay the stated fee.
Original Poster

@ DeltaFan4Now: Yes, Economy Light (E) and then Europe Economy (E).

@ TuxTom : Yes I recently got it and I checked in already but still no change
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:58 pm

Amex and Delta say:

The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection®carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by divB
@ DeltaFan4Now: Yes, Economy Light (E) and then Europe Economy (E).

@ TuxTom : Yes I recently got it and I checked in already but still no change
Ah, I missed that line in your original post
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

............DELTA 9347 and DELTA 9380.........If no: What am I missing?
The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight. Codeshare flights are not eligible.
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-bag-free.html
MSPeconomist and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Did you buy the tickets with the Amex?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Whoaaaaaah this is such a scam!!! On a flight with a Delta number purchased over the delta homepage with a delta issued boarding pass. And then this somewhere in the small text. This is a scam. I'll definitely cancel this card after the first year.
BlueMango likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Whoaaaaaah this is such a scam!!! On a flight with a Delta number purchased over the delta homepage with a delta issued boarding pass. And then this somewhere in the small text. This is a scam. I'll definitely cancel this card after the first year.
So many of these cards trumpet the free bag, but when you read the small print, you find it doesn’t apply to international flights.
jamesteroh, nancypants and divB like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
Did you buy the tickets with the Amex?
That doesn't matter.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That doesn't matter.
Ok, I wasn't sure.

Reading through the Free Bag terms, I do not see any restrictions on international flights - unless I am missing it. Also, he says the ticket is purchased on Delta.com and has a Delta flight number, should it matter if the flight is operated by KLM?
BlueMango likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

So many of these cards trumpet the free bag, but when you read the small print, you find it doesn’t apply to international flights.
Is anybody going to read the T&Cs?! The DL baggage benefit does apply to international Delta and Delta Connection marketed & operated flights.

First Checked Bag Free
Benefit is limited to Basic Card Members (not Additional Card Members) with the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cards. Reservation must include the Basic Card Member's SkyMiles number. Fee waiver also available for passengers traveling in the same reservation as the Basic Card Member. Maximum nine waivers per reservation. New Card Members and Card Members upgrading from another Delta SkyMiles Credit Card product will be eligible for the checked baggage fee waiver benefit after receiving their Card from American Express. The first checked bag fee waiver will only be applied on flight segments which originate on a Delta or Delta Connection® carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated flight. Waiver is only for normal bag fee, if any, for the first checked bag that is not overweight and not oversize under Delta's applicable rules as set forth in Delta's contract of carriage. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply. See delta.com/firstbagfree for details.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ree/delta-gold

AA has an affiliated card(s) that doesn't provide a baggage benefit on international flights. Maybe others do, too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.